Where do you draw the line of affordable?

radev104

We drive down (still cheaper than flying with 5 people), stay at a value resort (POP), eat breakfast in the room, make sandwiches for lunch, share meals for dinner, don't buy too many souveniers at the parks since we go to the outlets for them. We went every other year a couple times then got annual passes and went two years in a row then didn't go for a couple years then bought annual passes again-the annual passes were cheaper then the regular passes. After this trip in July we probably won't go for awhile to save up again. It's hard to go a lot because of the cost but it is cheaper than other vacations. My fiance and I stayed at a resort for 3 days and it cost over half of what a week would be at the POP. That is crazy.

mousehockey37

Original Poster
I actually dont book any adrs at all anymore and cancel within 2 months of our eta. Rudeness? No, just overly prepared. So you're saying you have NEVER booked a room you didnt want in hopes of getting something better as your travel date nears just to assure a room?

No. I haven't. I can't afford the cancellation policies that some/most hotels have where they keep your "security deposit". So no, I have never been that greedy that I need to double up reservations.

And looking at DVC villas, you CANNOT cancel them. So if you wind up leaving a DVC reservation and using your offsite one, then the DVC room is vacant for the time that you're there anyway. So that vacant room, due to your rudeness, has now been taken away from someone who may want it.

Also, once your reservation is booked with DVC, it's assured. So I don't know why you have to wonder about having an assured room. I could see if you're initially planning to stay offsite, but that doesn't sound like your intent. It sounds like you go DVC and if anything detrimental happens, then you back out(possibly using travel insurance to reimburse your funds) and use your offsite location.

IMHO, you book 2 reservations, one primary, one backup. You're ruining the magic for others with whichever reservation you cancel.

Sans Souci

No. I haven't. I can't afford the cancellation policies that some/most hotels have where they keep your "security deposit". So no, I have never been that greedy that I need to double up reservations.

And looking at DVC villas, you CANNOT cancel them. So if you wind up leaving a DVC reservation and using your offsite one, then the DVC room is vacant for the time that you're there anyway. So that vacant room, due to your rudeness, has now been taken away from someone who may want it.

Also, once your reservation is booked with DVC, it's assured. So I don't know why you have to wonder about having an assured room. I could see if you're initially planning to stay offsite, but that doesn't sound like your intent. It sounds like you go DVC and if anything detrimental happens, then you back out(possibly using travel insurance to reimburse your funds) and use your offsite location.

IMHO, you book 2 reservations, one primary, one backup. You're ruining the magic for others with whichever reservation you cancel.

If he is paying cash for a room only in a DVC villa, he can cancel 8 days out with your one night deposit. I got the idea he was paying cash for DVC rooms, otherwise he would have no reason to book off-site.

Maybe you should ask him instead of assuming?

mouse_luv

If he is paying cash for a room only in a DVC villa, he can cancel 8 days out with your one night deposit. I got the idea he was paying cash for DVC rooms, otherwise he would have no reason to book off-site.

Maybe you should ask him instead of assuming?

Wouldn't you be assuming as well, with saying that he pays cash?!:shrug:

mouse_luv

Yes, I am. But I am providing an alternate and possible scenario. Your friend is making assumptions about this man's vacation habits and going off on him.

Once again good sir, you are making an assumption about an assumption. I have re-read this whole thread and I don't see anyone going off on anyone.

Lynne M

Reservations for DVC villas can be cancelled, whether they're on points or cash. As long as you're within the cancellation period for your method of payment, you get your deposit or your points back.

In fact, it's quite common for DVC members to make 'placeholder' reservations at their home resort at 11 months, and then cancel that and switch to their preferred resort at the 7 month window. Others then snap up the villas that were freed up at 7 months.

mouse_luv

Reservations for DVC villas can be cancelled, whether they're on points or cash. As long as you're within the cancellation period for your method of payment, you get your deposit or your points back.

In fact, it's quite common for DVC members to make 'placeholder' reservations at their home resort at 11 months, and then cancel that and switch to their preferred resort at the 7 month window. Others then snap up the villas that were freed up at 7 months.

Can I cancel a reservation?
No. Due to the complexity of banking and borrowing points, reservations can not be cancelled. You may explore the possibilities of adding Travel Insurance to protect yourself against unexpected situations. I do not provide this insurance, but you can obtain obtain a very reasonable quote here: Travel Insurance Quote
This is from http://www.dvcrequest.com/faq.htm#note12
**No cancellations will be made as points have different use years and banking restrictions. Please expect this to be a final transaction. If a cancellation is needed, we will "try" to work with you but please understand that this is NOT guaranteed. I do not provide travel insurance and recommend you purchase it on your own.
That is from http://www.dvc-rental.com/dvc_agreement.htm

Is this something different?! I mean, this is what the OP was talking about and I'm sure there are others that do this that are wondering what you are talking about. Because with those links and companies for DVC rental, it obviously is a no go for cancellation.:confused:

Sans Souci

No. Due to the complexity of banking and borrowing points, reservations can not be cancelled. You may explore the possibilities of adding Travel Insurance to protect yourself against unexpected situations. I do not provide this insurance, but you can obtain obtain a very reasonable quote here: Travel Insurance Quote
**No cancellations will be made as points have different use years and banking restrictions. Please expect this to be a final transaction. If a cancellation is needed, we will "try" to work with you but please understand that this is NOT guaranteed. I do not provide travel insurance and recommend you purchase it on your own.

Is this something different?! I mean, this is what the OP was talking about and I'm sure there are others that do this that are wondering what you are talking about. Because with those links and companies for DVC rental, it obviously is a no go for cancellation.:confused:

I understand what she's talking about. :shrug:

Going through rental companies is not the only way to stay in DVC villas. You can book directly through the Walt Disney Travel Company...

If you've booked room only, you can cancel 8 days before your vacation without penalty. The deposit is one night's stay.

If you've booked a package, you can cancel 45 days out without penalty. The deposit is $200.

mouse_luv

I understand what she's talking about. :shrug:

Going through rental companies is not the only way to stay in DVC villas. You can book directly through the Walt Disney Travel Company...

If you've booked room only, you can cancel 8 days before your vacation without penalty. The deposit is one night's stay.

If you've booked a package, you can cancel 45 days out without penalty. The deposit is $200.

First of all, I've been going to WDW for 20 years, I know that you can rent or OWN through DVC. So now you assumed that I'm an idiot.

Secondly, I was reiterating what the OP was asking about, but apparently I can't even do that on this thread. :brick:

tinkerbell1985

Let's face it, not all of us are able to go every year or even every other year. The world has come down hard on alot of us, so for those people who are like me, how do you afford it?

Since my last Disney trip I have put any change that I have (from $0.01 to $2 coins-yes I'm Canadian) in a bucket and when I roll them they go straight into my vacation fund. At the end of each pay week I put any money that hasn't been spent out of my weekly pay into my vacation fund. It's a lot of willpower, but it's worth sacrificing some nights out to have 10 days in the World!

It's interesting, because I always marvel at how much people spend on NON Disney vacations. 5K for two people to go sit on a beach for a week? What a waste, IMO.

I don't get it either! It's certainly not something I would ever be interested in doing! Of course I don't like the beach, or the sand, or drinking, or being lazy.... so I guess it's just not for me at all, but to each is own. But it's those people who don't get why we like Disney so much and feel it necessary to share their opinions (however rude they might be) but I have to sit there and not be rude back about how I think their idea of a "vacation" is a waste of time and money but they're allowed to do it? WTH? lol

Lynne M

Ah, OK, now I see what you mean.

What I was talking about in my post above was booking through Disney - either:

1. as a DVC member, booking a villa through DVC Member Services with the points that you own - that's where the bit about the 7/11 month windows comes in.

2. as a member of the general public, booking a villa through the Disney Reservation Center, for cash, just like you would any Disney resort.

In both of those cases, cancellation is perfectly fine, and there are no penalties as long as you do it within the cancellation period.

The link that you posted is from the website of an outside company - DVC By Request - that is not associated with Disney in any way. DVC By Request acts as a broker, connecting DVC members who are willing to make reservations for others, with people who want those reservations. (Commonly known as 'renting points').

If you book a stay through DVC By Request, you're actually dealing with a DVC member who makes a reservation for you. Generally, DVC members who rent to others don't give refunds for cancellations. That's what the quote you posted is saying.

Again -that's not Disney's cancellation policy. It's DVC By Request's policy.

mouse_luv

Ah, OK, now I see what you mean.

What I was talking about in my post above was booking through Disney - either:

1. as a DVC member, booking a villa through DVC Member Services with the points that you own - that's where the bit about the 7/11 month windows comes in.

2. as a member of the general public, booking a villa through the Disney Reservation Center, for cash, just like you would any Disney resort.

In both of those cases, cancellation is perfectly fine, and there are no penalties as long as you do it within the cancellation period.

The link that you posted is from the website of an outside company - DVC By Request - that is not associated with Disney in any way. DVC By Request acts as a broker, connecting DVC members who are willing to make reservations for others, with people who want those reservations. (Commonly known as 'renting points').

If you book a stay through DVC By Request, you're actually dealing with a DVC member who makes a reservation for you. Generally, DVC members who rent to others don't give refunds for cancellations. That's what the quote you posted is saying.

Again -that's not Disney's cancellation policy. It's DVC By Request's policy.

Thank you so much! :D This is one of the things the OP was talking/asking about. This is also making things more clear for those who don't understand. I really appreciate your info. Thanks again!!:)

DisneyJoe

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - Walt Disney

JUST being the key word here - meaning that making money was one of the ideas for creating Disneyland, but not the only reason.

I've never seen any Walt Disney World quotes saying that he wanted his parks to be affordable by everyone.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Being new to the board myself, but not new to things overall, I've seen threads go up about how much people spend on their trips. I've seen some who spend over $10k just on airfare to get to WDW.

So my question to ask is this:

For those of us that are just regular people (no fancy jobs and living on tighter budgets, etc), where is the line of affordability?

Let's face it, not all of us are able to go every year or even every other year. The world has come down hard on alot of us, so for those people who are like me, how do you afford it?

I agree that this is kind of a personal thing and you make choices that either allow you to go or not. For me, it is important that I go every year, if even for just a day. Now, I fully admit this, this would not be possible unless my parents lived only 4 hours away. So I go see them, and can go down to WDW. Like last year, I went to go see them and my mom and I went for a two days, one night. Living so close makes all the difference I think. If I didn't have that option, I know I would not have been able to go every year like I have. Also, my DH and I literally go no where else. We don't go to Europe or cross country or anywhere else. The only other "vacation/holiday" we take is to go see family. I know we should save more then we do. I know that. But it really means a lot for us to go every year. Next year, we have it planned to go to Disneyland and to see my brother in San Francisco. But this would not be possible if not for my parents giving us a time share. So all we have to do is pay for a rental car and air fare and park tickets. We wouldn't be able to do it other wise.

olisarow

Well, i would like to draw a line the line of affordable on free shopping coupons and deals. Because I love to save more in my shopping. It is funny one but believe me i can save a lot of money with the help of coupon search. This is the best online source in which everyone can buy anything at discounted price. And i am so excited whenever i have saved money.

ddbowdoin

as someone who has stayed both on and off, I have to say that it really depends on what you value in your vacation.

I'm off to my honeymoon in 10 days, and I spent a lot of money to stay in the Poly and BC. Do I have that cash, no not really but for this one instance its about savoring the moment. You can go on a million trips, but you only have one honeymoon. So in some regards, at times you have to disregard the safest financial decisions and enjoy life.

The debate between on and off, and even value vs mod, mod vs deluxe etc etc etc could go on for days.

KCheatle

For us it comes down to sacrifice. We also only have so many dollars a month. So, instead of going out to lunch every day, we put put $80 a week in savings ($8 per lunch x 5 days x 2 adults = $80 a week). Instead of buying brand new Nike shoes every few months, we buy Target brand and put the $100 difference in savings. Instead of getting landscaping professionally done, we do it ourselves and save $1000s. Whether it's a little bit at a time or $1000s, it eventually adds up. Just think, not eating lunch out alone saves my family $4000 a year - that's a pretty good Disney Vacation if you ask me! It can be in the little things or the big. Either way, you have to make a conscious decision before you spend: is it worth it?

It's funny, my husband and I were talking yesterday about patio furniture. We saw a set we LOVED and when we asked what the price was, the lady took us through the pricing and it ended up being about $5000 for the set. We both looked at each other and said "That's a trip to Disney!" That's how we evaluate big purchases now! Would we rather have this nice outdoor furniture or go on a trip? Easy answer: trip!!

Joshua&CalebDad

I have been lucky in that I have been able to go to Disney the last two years without taking on a great expense. 2 years ago my wife and I took advantage of "Give a day Get a day" and took our three year old down for the first time. It was a one day trip to MK, nothing fancy. I have family in Miami and our way back to SC we stopped in Orlando where I rented a townhome for $100 through Expedia.

While we were at Disney I had some extra money due to fact that we had just refinanced our house and we did not need to make a mortgage payment that month. So we used the extra money to upgrade our one day ticket to 10 day non expiration tickets. We knew we would be back so why not.

Last February there was a work related convention being held at Coronado Springs. We already had tickets, work was paying for the first part of the week, so now all I had to do was pay for an extra three night stay, which cost me a total of $300.00, CS had special pricing for convention goers. That was our first week long trip to WDW. This time I took our youngest son which was 1.5 years old and he did not pay. So four of us did a week long at coronadao Springs, and did three park hopping days in the park at very minimal cost.

We are going back this year for another week long trip in late November. I still have non-expiration tickets, 6 per person, but we still booked a dining plan package. Although we will have two days worth of tickets, which come with the package, we won't use them and will just save them for another year. This trip was obviously more expenssive but we have had over a year to plan and pay for it, which was doable. Not only that, I have been very lucky to receive numerous Discount Pins in the last 6 months. Everytime one comes in I check to see if it reduces my overall price. The first two Pins did and my wife just got a third one last week.

The key to being able to afford a trip is to have a long term plan and stick with it. Our family plan started 2 years ago when we participated in Give a Day Get a day and we are still reaping the rewards. I promise you, Disney can be done on a shoe string budget with proper planning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom