Where do the Dr Strange park rights lie?

tcool123

Past shows like Wandavision, Hawkeye, Loki , etc did not have any in park marketing to my knowledge. Most of the MCU films didn’t receive this either.

Most os the time those films get bus wraps and billboards outside the park or in the parking lots as those are fine. Moon Knight being inside the parks via billboards is a green light. I imagine the upcoming Ms Marvel will have the same opportunity albeit harder to market as the word Marvel can’t be used. Or at the very least Kamala Khan may be able to be squeezed in her costume everything but the name.

doctornick

Moon Knight was a member of the West Coast Avengers in 1987. I'm very surprised to see this type of advertising in Orlando.
Yeah I actually thought Moon Knight would more likely not be allowed. But that is a good sign.

Curious about Shang Chi. Feel like he would almost certainly be fine to use in WDW (especially if Strange is allowed).

Dr Strange/Shang-Chi/Moon Knight would be a great base for a proper land in DHS. Something like a Dr Strange dark ride (something like Mystic Manor or more aggressive like Uni Spider-Man), a Moon Knight roller coaster and then a martial arts stunt show for Shang-Chi. Could toss in Eternals or even maybe Fury/SHIELD references to round things out as needed.

Separate thought: what about doing an Egypt based land using Moon Knight and also Indiana Jones? IJ certainly delves into the mystical and supernatural so it’s not a bad fit though it’s mixing franchises.

tcool123

Dr Strange/Shang-Chi/Moon Knight would be a great base for a proper land in DHS. Something like a Dr Strange dark ride (something like Mystic Manor or more aggressive like Uni Spider-Man), a Moon Knight roller coaster and then a martial arts stunt show for Shang-Chi. Could toss in Eternals or even maybe Fury/SHIELD references to round things out as needed.
Insteand of an Avengers Campus call it Mystic Campus thanks to all the magic aspects, and throw in Eternals instead of Fury/Shield as fluff and I think it’s rather solid tbh.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Star Tours is in the wrong place. Best thing that could happen is re-theme the existing simulators at Star Tours (Dr Strange is a definite fit) and create a new ride or two in all that wasted space behind ToT where they used to run that has-been Fantasmic! show.

So you'd move Star Tours away from a land that was built long after it's existence.....to the other side of the park? Talk about being in the wrong place.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So you'd move Star Tours away from a land that was built long after it's existence.....to the other side of the park? Talk about being in the wrong place.
Where did I say I'd move Star Tours? It makes no sense to have a Star Wars ride not located in Galaxy's Edge.

I said update the simulators to another IP--there are plenty of other IPs they can put in a "movie-themed" ride: Dr Strange, Encanto, Coco, even Mary Poppins (since the Epcot plan bit the dust).

There's a big enough footprint holding F! to put one E ride or two B/C rides. Imagine a re-imagined 20K ride using technology like Shanghai Pirates...

MagicHappens1971

Where did I say I'd move Star Tours? It makes no sense to have a Star Wars ride not located in Galaxy's Edge.

I said update the simulators to another IP--there are plenty of other IPs they can put in a "movie-themed" ride: Dr Strange, Encanto, Coco, even Mary Poppins (since the Epcot plan bit the dust).

There's a big enough footprint holding F! to put one E ride or two B/C rides. Imagine a re-imagined 20K ride using technology like Shanghai Pirates...
Fantasmic isn’t going anywhere. Animation Courtyard is also a huge foot print, as well as the area that McQueens show sits, could fit another attraction or two.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Fantasmic isn’t going anywhere. Animation Courtyard is also a huge foot print, as well as the area that McQueens show sits, could fit another attraction or two.
The like is for repurposing Animation Courtyard and the Lightning McQueen show.

Not for F! sticking around...

SpectreJordan

Original Poster
Moon Knight was a member of the West Coast Avengers in 1987. I'm very surprised to see this type of advertising in Orlando.
Avengers rights must only account for “main” Avengers or maybe main Avengers books.
Yeah I actually thought Moon Knight would more likely not be allowed. But that is a good sign.

Curious about Shang Chi. Feel like he would almost certainly be fine to use in WDW (especially if Strange is allowed).

Separate thought: what about doing an Egypt based land using Moon Knight and also Indiana Jones? IJ certainly delves into the mystical and supernatural so it’s not a bad fit though it’s mixing franchises.
It seems like Marvel is building towards the Midnight Sons becoming a team in the MCU. So a ride based off of that would make a lot of sense.

The Midnight Sons in the MCU is shaping up to be Moon Knight, Blade, Werewolf by Night, Elsa Bloodstone, maybe Ghost Rider & maybe Daredevil.

doctornick

Not for F! sticking around...

To each their own, but my family absolutely loves Fantasmic! and would be sad if it were gone. Hopefully there are some updates when it reopens but it’s one of the strongest nighttime shows Disney has ever done.

That said my biggest complaint is having that large theater without any use during the day. They should do some sort of smaller scale show during the day to use it. I get the midday heat being a factor so multiple show shows is probably better than a larger scale one in daylight.

RSoxNo1

I have a feeling that Black Panther is off limits in Orlando. I feel there would’ve been a meet & greet by now if Disney could use him.

The character’s had heavy Avengers ties for decades & he also debuted in Fantastic Four. So I bet he’s with Universal, sadly.
Speculation would be that T'Challa is off limits, but Wakanda and all other characters would be fair game. It's sad to say because of how great Chadwick Boseman was in that role, but his passing conceivably gives Disney an out here where they can build Wakanda without T'Challa.

RSoxNo1

EDIT:
According to wikipedia, Moon Knight was a member of the West Coast Avengers in 1987. I'm very surprised Disney is advertising the Moon Knight show in DHS. Either Disney is making a distinction between "The Avengers" and "The West Coast Avengers" (good luck with that) or they don't feel a billboard inside one of their parks violates the "viewed, located or primarily directed to persons within 300 miles of Orlando" language.
If Moon Knight appears on an in-park billboard, it's safe to assume he's fair game. There was an issue with the monorail that had the Avengers wrap being allowed in EPCOT. That monorail only ran on the MK line where it never crossed the boundaries of being in the park.

JoeCamel

To each their own, but my family absolutely loves Fantasmic! and would be sad if it were gone. Hopefully there are some updates when it reopens but it’s one of the strongest nighttime shows Disney has ever done.

That said my biggest complaint is having that large theater without any use during the day. They should do some sort of smaller scale show during the day to use it. I get the midday heat being a factor so multiple show shows is probably better than a larger scale one in daylight.
They could run cavalcades around the moat and people would sit there all day

YodaMan

Past shows like Wandavision, Hawkeye, Loki , etc did not have any in park marketing to my knowledge. Most of the MCU films didn’t receive this either.

Most os the time those films get bus wraps and billboards outside the park or in the parking lots as those are fine. Moon Knight being inside the parks via billboards is a green light. I imagine the upcoming Ms Marvel will have the same opportunity albeit harder to market as the word Marvel can’t be used. Or at the very least Kamala Khan may be able to be squeezed in her costume everything but the name.

Unless I’m mistaken, Shang Chi and Eternals both had posters in Animation Courtyard. Eternals even had a sneak peek in Walt Disney Presents, correct?

SpectreJordan

Original Poster
Unless I’m mistaken, Shang Chi and Eternals both had posters in Animation Courtyard. Eternals even had a sneak peek in Walt Disney Presents, correct?
I don’t think The Eternals will have much park presence.

I honestly doubt they even get a sequel now lol. Their stories might continue as side characters in other characters’ movies.

doctornick

Another interesting character would be if Black Knight were possible for WDW but I’d guess no since he’s more tied up with Avengers mythos (including the original villain being an early antagonist of the group)

SpectreJordan

Original Poster
Another interesting character would be if Black Knight were possible for WDW but I’d guess no since he’s more tied up with Avengers mythos (including the original villain being an early antagonist of the group)
I’d be surprised if he wasn’t tied into the Avengers rights. He’s a classic member of the team.

Random thought, but I wonder if there’s any way that Universal would be willing to trade X-Men for an extension on the Simpsons rights.

X-Men has the most forgettable ride at Superhero Island. All they’d have to do is remove (or even retheme) the Storm ride, take down some billboards & retire the X-Men meet & greets. That sounds easier than replacing two rides & several restaurants.

Last edited:

ChrisM

Star Tours needs to be updated as an additional entry to Galaxy's Edge.

It's already a space port - route an exit around Muppets and into GE. I know there are infrastructure issues but make it happen anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom