Where do the Dr Strange park rights lie?

Cmdr_Crimson

Black Panther (more specifically, T'Challa) is off limits at WDW. Wakanda is not. Theoretically they could use the new BP (out of costume) after BP: Wakanda Forever introduces him.
Not sure, but with him being on Universal merch I doubt he could be in WDW..
EgTVK9yXsAkJFbh

JoeCamel

EgTVK9yXsAkJFbh
I was looking at the shards earlier and couldn't seem to see him there but I'm not a Marvel person so I may have missed it.
If he's on the shards he is verboten but if not I don't know if he is. The bag would be later and they have to have his consistent use in the park which has in the past been on the shards and was enough to fulfill the contract terms.

Casper Gutman

Agreed. It’s a solid ride with great rerideability. There’s a ton of things they should focus on before considering spending any money to change ST. especially considering the need more more capacity overall in DHS
Absolutely true about rerideability. It's by far the most enjoyable Star Wars ride at a Disney park after the first couple rides. Don't touch it.

Dr Strange, as an IP, has the potential to be an absolutely amazing attraction. I just have very little faith in the company that thought Avengers Campus even rose to the level of "borderline acceptable" to do right by it. And it must NOT be a retheme. Or a coaster in a box. A trackless MIGHT be OK, but quite frankly, Disney needs to develop its equivalent to the Universal SCOOP or come up with something even more innovative.

SpectreJordan

Original Poster
Absolutely true about rerideability. It's by far the most enjoyable Star Wars ride at a Disney park after the first couple rides. Don't touch it.

Dr Strange, as an IP, has the potential to be an absolutely amazing attraction. I just have very little faith in the company that thought Avengers Campus even rose to the level of "borderline acceptable" to do right by it. And it must NOT be a retheme. Or a coaster in a box. A trackless MIGHT be OK, but quite frankly, Disney needs to develop its equivalent to the Universal SCOOP or come up with something even more innovative.
What’s the Universal SCOOP?

MaryJaneP

I have mentioned it before, but I think DHS would benefit from having a Chinese themed area for the park that can house both a Shang-Chi attraction and also a Dr. Strang One (with him working out the Hong Kong sanctum). Would also offer the opportunity for some Asian food in the park which would be a nice variety to current offerings. I'm sure they could also have another attraction based on The Eternals fighting a Deviant or a Wakanda outreach program or Moon Knight hunting an Egyptian artifact there as well.
That has to be the first time a new ride is proposed for the food possibility. Exception for EPCOT's World Showcase. Re-rideability and re-orderability may go hand in hand. And entire Land? Maybe too soon but maybe in the future. It seems like a natural for DHS.

Cmdr_Crimson

Did ... did you read what I wrote?
Yes I did..But, anything reflecting said character INCLUDING fictional lands based around said characters cannot be done East of The Mississippi..This also includes Fictional Wakanda..The shirt image was to show that his usage in FL is under Universal ownership but it looks closer to the MCU version..

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Original Poster
The ride used for Spider Man and Transformers. The closet equivalent for Disney is I guess the EMV used for Indiana Jones/Dinosaur
Ahhh gotcha. The next evolution of that would be great for Dr Strange.
Dr Strange appears nightly as a part of the Disney Movie Magic nighttime projection show at DHS.
Interesting. I’ve never stuck around for that, maybe I will next time!

tcool123

EgTVK9yXsAkJFbh
Black Panther is located in the cosmic crater mural alongside Ant Man and a few other previously minor characters.

Joining Dr Strange and GOTG would be Eternals as the only confirmed MCU property thats a okay.

When Dr Strange had a interactive show at DHS things like the Daily Bugle were present via logos on props so location rights seem to be a bit more lenient.

Shang Chi has yet to make any sort of appearance at WDW so I assume he’s off limits but it may be due to an Avenger family clause.

Cmdr_Crimson

Black Panther is located in the cosmic crater mural alongside Ant Man and a few other previously minor characters.

Joining Dr Strange and GOTG would be Eternals as the only confirmed MCU property thats a okay.

When Dr Strange had a interactive show at DHS things like the Daily Bugle were present via logos on props so location rights seem to be a bit more lenient.

Shang Chi has yet to make any sort of appearance at WDW so I assume he’s off limits but it may be due to an Avenger family clause.
I forgot they got a pic of him inside Captain America's Grill..
captain-america-diner-tables.jpg

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I have mentioned it before, but I think DHS would benefit from having a Chinese themed area for the park that can house both a Shang-Chi attraction and also a Dr. Strang One (with him working out the Hong Kong sanctum). Would also offer the opportunity for some Asian food in the park which would be a nice variety to current offerings. I'm sure they could also have another attraction based on The Eternals fighting a Deviant or a Wakanda outreach program or Moon Knight hunting an Egyptian artifact there as well.
They had an area that looked like a city scape that was perfect for oh I don't know the dozens of Marvel characters that work out city areas. But alas...

AdventureHasAName

Exclusive use of Marvel characters in the Marvel Superhero Island contract ...

East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

West of The Mississippi - any other theme park may use any Marvel characters whether or not used by MCA.

East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

East or West of The Mississippi - The foregoing permitted uses will be subject to the following marketing restrictions:

(a) If the particular character is used by MCA (as defined above), such character will not be advertised or promoted East of The Mississippi, except by means of national Network buys of television, within printed materials such as brochures, or by print advertisements in periodicals directed to readers more than 300 miles from Orlando; and with regard to any of the foregoing permitted marketing, if the marketing is for a group of theme parks located both East and West of The Mississippi, the marketing shall make abundantly clear that the character only appears in the parks West of The Mississippi and shall not be subject to confusion on such point (such as would occur by visual inclusion of the character in a generic, multipark advertisement subject to a small print explanation of the parks where the character is present).

(b) If the particular character is not used by MCA, such character will not be advertised or promoted by means of (x) spot television buys, billboards, personal appearances, or print advertisements which are (y) viewed, located or primarily directed to persons within 300 miles of Orlando. In other words, regional (i.e. covering a multi-state geographic region) or national television or print media buys, or brochures would not be prohibited within such 300 mile radius.

--------------------

Thoughts:

1. Black Panther is almost assuredly part of the "Avengers" family under the contract. BP was a member of the Avengers in the comic books long before the MSH Island contract was enacted.

2. Doctor Strange is a legally tricky area. Strange was never an Avenger in the comics (or any other media) until well after the MSH Island was built. Even as we stand today, Doctor Strange was never a member of the Avengers (or any other super group or family) in the MCU.

3. Seems to me that the Guardians of the Galaxy (yes, we all know), Moon Knight, (see edit below), Shang Chi, the Eternals and the Inhumans are all fair game for WDW.

4. The trickiest legal area is going to be for characters that appeared in a Marvel superhero family after the contract was signed because almost everyone in Marvel was an Avenger member in a comic book at some point in the last two decades (Wikipedia List). Marvel clearly doesn't think it applies to this contract language because Doctor Strange became an Avenger in 2007 and they are using a walk around Doctor Strange right now; obviously Disney feels comfortable at least picking that battle.

5. The area that interests me most is characters that appeared as minor characters or villains in an individual character's comic books, where that character was also a member of a superhero "family" or team (where that character was not a villain). For example, the Winter Soldier is a Captain America villain (who started out as his sidekick 60+ years before the Universal contract was signed). Captain America is obviously part of the Avengers, but I don't believe he was ever an Avengers villain (at least not before the Universal/Marvel contract). Is the Winter Soldier available to WDW? And the Winter Soldier became Captain America at one point ... with a similar, but different costume. Is Bucky Barnes-as-Captain America available to WDW?

EDIT:
According to wikipedia, Moon Knight was a member of the West Coast Avengers in 1987. I'm very surprised Disney is advertising the Moon Knight show in DHS. Either Disney is making a distinction between "The Avengers" and "The West Coast Avengers" (good luck with that) or they don't feel a billboard inside one of their parks violates the "viewed, located or primarily directed to persons within 300 miles of Orlando" language.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Original Poster

Moon Knight is good too. There’s ads for the shows at HS right now.

5357842A-3C7F-4CB1-9804-041EC8243B6A.jpeg

FD7A0C30-1BEA-4F15-942C-987894E1994B.jpeg

Did Shang-Chi get any ads like this? It would be a shame if he can’t be used. I don’t think he became an Avenger until like 2013.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think Dr Strange would be great for a RnRC or StarTours revamp.

Star Tours doesnt need a revamp.

Star Tours needs to go.

No it doesn't. HS doesn't have enough rides in the first place to sustain constant replacement/removal. Strange deserves a new ride built from the ground up.

Agreed. It’s a solid ride with great rerideability. There’s a ton of things they should focus on before considering spending any money to change ST. especially considering the need more more capacity overall in DHS
Star Tours is in the wrong place. Best thing that could happen is re-theme the existing simulators at Star Tours (Dr Strange is a definite fit) and create a new ride or two in all that wasted space behind ToT where they used to run that has-been Fantasmic! show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom