Where do i stay??

Peachyyy

Alright everyone, I'm very torn...I've asked my family for input, but no one will give me any, so i thought i'd ask here.

We're heading back to disney world in May. We're going to be celebrating both of my kid's birthday there (one on the 11th, the other on the 12th) and I'm not sure where to stay. Here are the options we've thought about.

My son, who's never spent a birthday in disney world but has been asking us for a long time if he could is an animal freak. He loves animals, learning about them, etc. I really think he'd LOVE the AKL so that's where we chose. Right now our reservations are booked at AKL Concierge for 6 nights and it's 3200$. We would rather have a regular savanna view room, but it won't fit 5 people so this was our only option at AKL.

So i was looking around and checking out prices of some other resorts, and i found out that 5 of us could stay at Port Orleans Riverside for $900 at the Annual passholder's rate. This is a far cry from $3200 so I'm not sure what to do.

So i guess my question is this. For those of you have stayed at AKL or both...could someone tell me if the benefits of the concierge and the AKL in general worth the $2300 extra that it's going to cost me to stay there? I feel like i owe my son because I've kept putting his birthday celebration off, but $2300 is an expensive birthday for a 9 year old! Thanks in advance for your help!

Georgia

jim1051

where

NEMO took the words right out of my mouth. Split your stay. Moving is a pain but you'll have all that extra money to make yourself fell better. Or save it and go back next year for his Birthday again.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Even if you're not staying at AKL, you can go visit and see the animals up close.

You are right--the cost difference is SIGNIFICANT. You could do far more things that would be more fun than spend it on a place to sleep.

(I've heard that AKL and POR look the same when you're asleep)

Upvote 0

loriwdunn

Can't you stay at AKL without concierge? It's not like you would be staying concierge at Port Orleans. I don't know how old your kids are, but I think 5 is really too many for the size of the rooms at Port Orleans. Do you get a discount on AKL using AP?

Upvote 0

wcox377492

I've stayed at both AKL and Port Orleans many times. AKL is great, however with the cost difference I tend to prefer Port Orleans. I think someone above made the best suggestion if you don't mind changing hotels of doing 1-2 nights at AKL and the rest at port orleans. If your son is as much into animals as you indicate, you might want to time your night in AKL concierge on the night before they do the breakfast safari (which is only available to concierge guests), it costs 50+ per person to go on, but includes a breakfast buffet and is the best way to really see the animals on the safari!

Upvote 0

Peachyyy

Original Poster
loriwdunn said:
Can't you stay at AKL without concierge? It's not like you would be staying concierge at Port Orleans. I don't know how old your kids are, but I think 5 is really too many for the size of the rooms at Port Orleans. Do you get a discount on AKL using AP?

As far as i know, the only rooms I can stay at AKL are the concierge with 5 ppl.

thanks for your thoughts, i will tell everyone! (not that i expect their help! LOL)

Upvote 0

barnum42

How much would two standard connecting rooms at ALK cost?

Bottom line though is that you can stay at a less expensive resort and visit AKL as much as you like.

Upvote 0

tampabrad

This is what I would do:

Book one or two nights at AKL around the days when you can to the Sunrise Safari, which is only available to AKL concierage guests, and book the Safari. I would also call Animal Kingdom Guest Service and ask if there is some kind of Behind the scenes tour you could take at another time. I believe there is. If that doesn't work, there are many "unpublished" activities that go on every day at the AKL that your son may be interested in. They are usually posted at a kiosk in the AKL and are available for AKL guests, some free, and some are paid. If you are booking concierage, they should be able to help you with that.

If all else fails, and you don't want to spend that huge amound of money staying concierage at AKL, you may want to go to (sorry Disney) Discovery Cove for the day. It is VERY expensive (about $200 a person), but you get a dolphin swim, lunch, and a ticket for SeaWorld or Busch Gardens. The rest of Discover Cove is totally interactive. You swim in pools with many different kinds of fish, rays, sharks etc. For me, who only pays for myself, it is an amazing experience. If you go for Discovery Cove, it is reservation only, and it is a whole day experience.

Personally, to save money, I would do a few days at AKL, the rest at PO, and a day at Discovery Cove. You may end up paying the same amount of money, but you will get much more out of your trip.

Either way, Have the most magical time, take lots of pictures, and make lots of memories.

Upvote 0

dvcnut39

I actually prefer POR over AKL straight up. The $2,300 would just be a bonus. As I posted numerous times, an additional selling point would be that POR has the 2nd best pool on WDW property.

Upvote 0

Chris K

I'm having similar problems, planning a trip for next easter and would love to stay at akl, but dont know whether I can afford to pay the extra. I'm currently looking at 1 of each type of resort, either all star movies, POR or AKL. One of my main issues is transport, would be using the disney transport so dont know if any of these resorts are better than the others transport wise? any information would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Chris K said:
I'm having similar problems, planning a trip for next easter and would love to stay at akl, but dont know whether I can afford to pay the extra. I'm currently looking at 1 of each type of resort, either all star movies, POR or AKL. One of my main issues is transport, would be using the disney transport so dont know if any of these resorts are better than the others transport wise? any information would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Transportation is equal quality from most. The All-Star resorts service so many guests that you'll see many more busses for them, but all-in-all the service is equally good.
Personally I love POR for a moderate and Pop Century for a value resort.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Stay at Port Orleans and spend LOTS of time at Animal Kingdom! Your son will NOT feel cheated, believe me - it's our family's favorite resort (and it's really true - they all look the same when you're alseep!) With your leftover money (and you'll have a LOT of it), plan some extra dinners out or excursions to the water parks, DisneyQuest, etc., depending on your child's interests.

In any case, have a great time!:wave:

Upvote 0

Glasgow

Wow - you could buy them a pony with the money you save at POR! That's a big enough price difference to move to the other resort, I would think. We stayed at AKL in Feb and had a fantastic time -- but I don't think I could justify the huge premium that you are faced with.

As others have said, one or two nights at AKL would be a great compromise I think!

Upvote 0

Nepal

Peachyyy said:
Alright everyone, I'm very torn...I've asked my family for input, but no one will give me any, so i thought i'd ask here.

We're heading back to disney world in May. We're going to be celebrating both of my kid's birthday there (one on the 11th, the other on the 12th) and I'm not sure where to stay. Here are the options we've thought about.

My son, who's never spent a birthday in disney world but has been asking us for a long time if he could is an animal freak. He loves animals, learning about them, etc. I really think he'd LOVE the AKL so that's where we chose. Right now our reservations are booked at AKL Concierge for 6 nights and it's 3200$. We would rather have a regular savanna view room, but it won't fit 5 people so this was our only option at AKL.

So i was looking around and checking out prices of some other resorts, and i found out that 5 of us could stay at Port Orleans Riverside for $900 at the Annual passholder's rate. This is a far cry from $3200 so I'm not sure what to do.

So i guess my question is this. For those of you have stayed at AKL or both...could someone tell me if the benefits of the concierge and the AKL in general worth the $2300 extra that it's going to cost me to stay there? I feel like i owe my son because I've kept putting his birthday celebration off, but $2300 is an expensive birthday for a 9 year old! Thanks in advance for your help!

Georgia

Have a great trip! Don't waste your time with Everest. It's not worth it.:snore:

Upvote 0

dr_teeth90210

You could always go with 2 "standard view" rooms at AKL. DRC will guarantee that these rooms will be connecting. The AP rate for this setup would be $1788 + tax.

The upside to this is you'll be saving over $1400, double the space, have two balconies, more privacy, and you would still have 24-hour access to the animals via the many savannah viewing areas located throughout the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

The downside is that you would not be able to step out onto your own private balcony to view the animals.

POR is an awesome resort, but having a family of 5 in a 314 sq foot room for 6 nights might be too close for comfort.

Another option would be two connecting savannah-view rooms at the AKL. This would still be $200 less than what your currently spending but you would lose the concierge services. I personally don't care for the view from the concierge balconies because they're located on the 5th floor and are further removed from the animals as opposed to the non-concierge rooms on the 1st through the 4th floor. I prefer views from the 2nd or the 3rd floor.

No matter which resort or room you choose your family is going to have a blast. Have fun.:wave:

Upvote 0

eroyee

where to stay

:slurp: If you can afford AK lodge, I say go for it, but I love POR better than anything. If you are considering All Stars why dont you try for one of the new suites there? Our favorite value resort is Pop. they have only one bus that does only that resort and the stuff to look at is so amazing. why cant you do some special birthday stuff in and around the parks and visit the Animal Kingdom instead of paying the money for AK lodge? :lol: The big thing, I guess, is have a magical trip.:wave:

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Note -

If AKL Concierge can do 5 people, then an AKL Deluxe Savannah View room should do 5 people.

The rooms in Deluxe and Concierge at AKL are identicle. You simply don't get concierge service wih a deluxe room.

You're looking at about 85-100 difference in price between the two identicle rooms minus conicerge service. Call the mouse back and inquire.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom