WHERE Can We Do This Again? PTN taking a trip...

D

Deleted member 107043

Yes, crowding sucks- but expecting Disney to artificially decrease capacity isn't fair to the thousands that would want in, despite the crowding.

I have no clue what Disney's security management plans look like for terrorist attracks, a major quake, a large fire, or some other calamity, but I sure hope I'm not there on one those over packed days if something like that occurs. it won't be pretty.

mickEblu

Society has decided that access to DL is worth $125.

If the crowds bothered me to the point where I no longer thought access was worth $125, I would stop going- which in turn would help with crowding.

If you don't think admission is worth what Disney is charging, it is within your right to stop going. I know that sounds harsh, but that's the simple truth. It's easy to complain about overcrowding until that means we might have to stop going.

We can all complain about crowds and prices, but we still go and we still pay them, so Disney's doing something right. Eventually, there will be a limit to what people will pay to attend Disneyland- in which case crowd levels will decline.

I mean, is Disney supposed to limit each person to a certain number of visits a year? Artificially decrease capacity? Discontinue AP's, one of the most profitable programs they have? None of this would make sense from a business perspective, since as a whole we're more than happy to keep attending the expensive, crowded park.

I hate crowds as much as the next person, but since I don't want to stop going, I'm not going to complain about them.

Good point. When is that breaking point is the question. I think if most days were like this past weekend that would probably be unbearable for most tourists/ day guests. Long term this is probably a bad strategy for Disney because there groups will slowly start to not come back. It's a different ball game for APs because we can go for a few hours to watch a parade, eat a meal and go on a couple rides. With that said I try to avoid crowded days whenever possible.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Doubt this would happen, WOC already has 2 showings scheduled on some summer nights it would be a nightmare if they try to fit paint the night into the schedule. The only time they can try is at 8pm but it would not be fully dark outside yet.

It is not happening this summer. PTN needs to be cast and rehearsed. At the earliest we're looking at a DCA debut some time this fall/holiday season.

InsideDisney

It is not happening this summer. PTN needs to be cast and rehearsed. At the earliest we're looking at a DCA debut some time this fall/holiday season.
If they really wanted to run paint the night if they started working on it now they could be done by august. Also why would they make the parade ready to be shipped if it's going right next door..? If it was going next door they would have used those green small vehicles that they use for transporting floats back stage they wouldn't have packed it up. From what I heard they are in the shape of being put on a truck.

Last edited:

TP2000

If they really wanted to run paint the night if they started working on it now they could be done by august. Also why would they make the parade ready to be shipped if it's going right next door..? If it was going next door they would have used those green small vehicles that they use for transporting floats back stage they wouldn't have packed it up. From what I heard they are in the shape of being put on a truck.

Even if they were just moving it from backstage Disneyland to backstage DCA, they would still need to take it out on surface streets. There's no route through the parks that work.

And all surface street routes from Ball Road down to Katella involve some fairly major hills and highway overpasses to go up and over, which I doubt a parade float has the motor and torque to do. You'd need to pack them onto crates and truck them down the street to get to DCA.

Screen-Shot-2015-06-26-at-10.27.33-AM.png

D.Silentu

Little to do with parades, but related to the topic of crowding, I have trouble deciphering the long game reasoning of the Disneyland Resort. Star Wars land is well under way and, while adding capacity to the park, I wonder if it won’t bring an onslaught of visitors akin to Wizarding World in Orlando. My concern, in short, is that crowd wise this will be a lateral move for Disneyland.

The park that really could use this is DCA. Is it completely out of theme? Of course (though evidence is growing that this is less important). I’m merely using Star Wars as an example. Something of that scope and caliber is necessary at DCA . Carsland is beautifully put together, but fans of its source material are generally too young to open a bank account. Something epic, like Star Wars is promised to be, is what it will take to draw the crowds more evenly between the parks.

In the meanwhile, Disneyland can make minor adjustments to help reduce swelling. Reopen a restaurant in the old Tahitian Terrace building, with entertainment so people sit awhile. Try new films in the Tomorrowland Theater, even 3D shows, just don’t let it stagnate. Move Jedi Training into a new venue within the Carousel building and triple the capacity! After such measures, add a Frozen area to the filler space near Toontown with a D-ticket Frozen ride. It should be well done, of course, but doesn’t have to be ‘must see‘. Disneyland already has no trouble attracting people.

If you’ve made it this far you have my gratitude! I know Marvel is coming to DCA, and it may help some of these problems. Yet, I can’t shake the feeling that Star Wars will be more popular, and I can’t fathom why they didn’t start with DCA first. It might be time to retire those AP payment plans after all.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Even if they were just moving it from backstage Disneyland to backstage DCA, they would still need to take it out on surface streets. There's no route through the parks that work.

And all surface street routes from Ball Road down to Katella involve some fairly major hills and highway overpasses to go up and over, which I doubt a parade float has the motor and torque to do. You'd need to pack them onto crates and truck them down the street to get to DCA.

I have seen the floats for PTN being driven down Ball Rd last year sometime. Now I don't know for sure, but from what I saw they don't need to pack them up to move them on surface streets. I'll have to find the video, Justin Scarred has a youtube clip also showing the floats being driven down the street.

TP2000

I have seen the floats for PTN being driven down Ball Rd last year sometime. Now I don't know for sure, but from what I saw they don't need to pack them up to move them on surface streets. I'll have to find the video, Justin Scarred has a youtube clip also showing the floats being driven down the street.

Ball Road just north of Disneyland is flat as a pancake. It wasn't Ball Road I was thinking about, rather the overpasses and underpasses of Disneyland Drive that you'd need to go up and over to get south to DCA. The hills of Disneyland Drive would need to be conquered to get a parade float from Ball Road south to DCA's float warehouse.

10732576_-_HtpFjgewemWsy2bmcJSw7YoC2femZzX_ZRhxLPaPQ.jpg

img_6356.jpg

Maybe it's no big deal and parade floats can go up and over and down decent grade hills like that. But I'd kind of be surprised if they could. They've never moved a parade from Disneyland to DCA before, or vice versa.

The MSEP was delivered to DCA in 2001 and lived there until it left in 2010, via the Disneyland Drive intersection to the Simba Parking Lot where it was packed up.

When the MSEP came back in '16 it was delivered specifically to Disneyland's warehouse via the Ball Road entry.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ball Road just north of Disneyland is flat as a pancake. It wasn't Ball Road I was thinking about, rather the overpasses and underpasses of Disneyland Drive that you'd need to go up and over to get south to DCA.

10732576_-_HtpFjgewemWsy2bmcJSw7YoC2femZzX_ZRhxLPaPQ.jpg

img_6356.jpg

It depends on where they would store them if it comes true that its run in DCA. But I assume they have thought about how to move them around the resort.

D

Deleted member 107043

I thought there was a below grade road connecting DCA with DL that ran from behind HWL to the backstage area near Space Mountain.

InsideDisney

I once saw the halloween floats going down the street at midnight last year they don't get packed up they just get towed by those green vehicles.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster

Let's run through what we know.

WDW does not want a light parade right now. They want to leave that for the 50th and make a big deal out of it. PTN is not going to WDW.

TDR already has its own light parade. They do not need PTN.

HKDL already has PTN. They don't need two.

SDL does not have a light parade, but the Chinese governments that control it and HKDL insist on having unique offerings to differentiate them from each other. SDL, if it ever gets a light parade, will get an original creation, not a copy of the same parade available at HKDL.

DLRP cannot run its big 25th anniversary night show, Illuminations, and a light parade comfortably during the summer season because of when the sun sets. This is why they closed Fantillusion. They also do not have the budget for another parade, operationally. This is a park that can't afford to run more than one train on its railroad each day. You think they want to spend the labor money on adding another parade to the park's operating day?

That leaves us with no place for PTN to go outside of DLR. It is not "packed up" to be sent elsewhere. It's not even on site at DLR, it's stored off-site nearby. It will return to DLR soon, and when it does, they are now planning for that to be at DCA.

Curious Constance

Society has decided that access to DL is worth $125.

If the crowds bothered me to the point where I no longer thought access was worth $125, I would stop going- which in turn would help with crowding.

If you don't think admission is worth what Disney is charging, it is within your right to stop going. I know that sounds harsh, but that's the simple truth. It's easy to complain about overcrowding until that means we might have to stop going.

We can all complain about crowds and prices, but we still go and we still pay them, so Disney's doing something right. Eventually, there will be a limit to what people will pay to attend Disneyland- in which case crowd levels will decline.

I mean, is Disney supposed to limit each person to a certain number of visits a year? Artificially decrease capacity? Discontinue AP's, one of the most profitable programs they have? None of this would make sense from a business perspective, since as a whole we're more than happy to keep attending the expensive, crowded park.

I hate crowds as much as the next person, but since I don't want to stop going, I'm not going to complain about them.

I get all of that, and agree to an extent, but long term, it's a very bad idea to alienate the high spending out of towners. When you claim to be a superior experience and simultaneously make decisions that create last weekend's conditions, you won't fool people forever. I still attend the parks because if you research until you can't research anymore, make a few wishes upon some stars, and make a deal with the devil, it's still possible to go when crowds are manageable. But I would NEVER go if I knew it would be like it was Saturday.

InsideDisney

WDW does not want a light parade right now. They want to leave that for the 50th and make a big deal out of it. PTN is not going to WDW.

SDL does not have a light parade, but the Chinese governments that control it and HKDL insist on having unique offerings to differentiate them from each other. SDL, if it ever gets a light parade, will get an original creation, not a copy of the same parade available at HKDL.

DLRP cannot run its big 25th anniversary night show, Illuminations, and a light parade comfortably during the summer season because of when the sun sets. This is why they closed Fantillusion. They also do not have the budget for another parade, operationally. This is a park that can't afford to run more than one train on its railroad each day. You think they want to spend the labor money on adding another parade to the park's operating day?

That leaves us with no place for PTN to go outside of DLR. It is not "packed up" to be sent elsewhere. It's not even on site at DLR, it's stored off-site nearby. It will return to DLR soon, and when it does, they are now planning for that to be at DCA.
I thought WDW was the one that wanted it due to the fact that they got like millions of complains from tourists "I was siting there for 3 hours and the parade never came." I believe some insider stated it before that management in MK really want it to come.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I thought WDW was the one that wanted it due to the fact that they got like millions of complains from tourists "I was siting there for 3 hours and the parade never came." I believe some insider stated it before that management in MK really want it to come.

That may have been the case last fall when MSEP was taken from them, but it is no longer the case. They are perfectly happy to leave MK light parade free for the time being.

TP2000

I really wish you'd stop being so rational and knowledgeable about this topic.

It totally contradicts the 26 year old bloggers in Kissimmee who re-Tweet each others rumors all day.

SuddenStorm

I get all of that, and agree to an extent, but long term, it's a very bad idea to alienate the high spending out of towners. When you claim to be a superior experience and simultaneously make decisions that create last weekend's conditions, you won't fool people forever. I still attend the parks because if you research until you can't research anymore, make a few wishes upon some stars, and make a deal with the devil, it's still possible to go when crowds are manageable. But I would NEVER go if I knew it would be like it was Saturday.

I got you. I just really dislike the mentality that Disney should limit how much other people (AP's, locals, etc.) can attend so that the parks meet someone's ideal crowd levels. It's a common mentality among Disneyland fans- I think it's something we've all been guilty of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom