Where’s the pie

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
In perusing menus for our upcoming WDW vacation, a fact just hit me that caused me much hesitation. I cannot find a simple slice of pie for dessert. Apple, blueberry, cherry or peach there does not seem to be a pie within reach. They have cheesecakes and Crème Brule in many different ways. They have cobblers, sorbets and many different sundaes. Cakes and tarts served ala carte and yes, Shula’s has Key lime, which is simply sublime, but I just cannot find a simple piece of pie, and forget alamode.

Minnie Mum

I've often wondered the same thing. I wonder if it's a problem with making sufficient quantities of the pastry, or a problem with the pastry getting soggy in Florida's heat and humidity.

HouCuseChickie

I've often wondered the same thing. I lived in FL for 6 years and my parents and brother have been there for 28. You can get pie...all kinds of pie...in other places. So, there must be some issue specific to Disney. While I'm not a huge 50s fan, the apple crisp on the dessert menu seems like a feeble attempt to make up for the apple pie a la mode which should really be there. While I know it's not Disney owned, Homecomin' has that whole southern vibe, so it seems really odd not to have a true southern pecan pie on the menu.

Edit- it's hot and humid where I live as well...currently 89% humidity out there and we're supposed to go up to 102 today...and I can assure you, there are tons of places that serve pie here.

JIMINYCR

Yak & Yeti has a fabulous Mango pie that we always get for dessert there. We also recently had an excellent Pecan pie at Boatwrights in POR.

GholsHost

I've always been disappointed in the lack of pie availability in the World too! The Boathouse serves a Key Lime Pie in a Jar, which is really good, but not a pie per se.

note2001

Disney prefers the easy to serve, grab and go type items. Things their College program kids can't screw up. The term "easy as pie" never took into account that it takes a bit of time and talent to serve up a slice and keep it looking nice.

... Either that or they were afraid of too many pie-in-the-face scenes in the kitchen.

Baldy

Haven’t tried it, but Whispering Canyon has a caramel apple pie with vanilla gelato and a couple of places have pecan pie.

Baldy

I had another thought.
What about the “Apple Blossom Sunday” at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. It’s basically warm apple pie with ice cream on top.

jaklgreen

I had another thought.
What about the “Apple Blossom Sunday” at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. It’s basically warm apple pie with ice cream on top.

Those "apple pies" are the prepackaged and are pretty nasty unfortunately. I wish they would make fresh pie but these are much easier because they come frozen so there is less waste.

mikewdw

10 -12 years ago WDW had the best apple pie I had ever tasted at America in Epcot and I think Columbia Harbor House. I loved it! then it disappeared for years. then 3 years ago it was back at a kiosk in front of CS in America in Epcot but was gone the next year. makes me so frustrated, because it was so good!
mikwdw

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom