When you knew..

Disneykidder

After I visited when I was just shy of my 18th bday. It was my first time and I went with my friend, her brother and her mother. I was hooked!!

I remember when I was in college and the internet first came to be...I would watch a live cam of Cinderella's castle and just stare at it, wishing I were there.

Timekeeper

I couldn't imagine being a Disney fan without Internet, mostly because I've lived with Internet access pretty much my whole life,but imagine having to wait to see New Fantasyland, you would have to wait until you knew someone that had pictures or until you see it in person.

Exactly! For me, and for others who have discussed this topic a little bit before, there's often an internal struggle that goes in when deciding whether to watch an update on YouTube (like Tron Track) before going to see it in person. For me, and I imagine for some locals who can access the parks relatively easily, we try to resist the urge to view the "spoilers" and wait to see it in person, because you one get one "first time" experience with anything new at the World. For others who only get to visit once a year or less, I imagine that most of them don't have enough will power to avoid the spoilers and end up succumbing to temptation and viewing anything and everything available online.

Chrononymous

I think I was five. I became obsessed with a Disneyland storybook that showed pics of the park.

And I had a Sleeping Beauty Castle View master, that was always near my bed at night.
I was so obsessed I used to have IASW Nightmares.

Didn't actually get to a Disney park until I was 14.
Then I really became obsessed.
and here we are today...

It's been ages since I had a trip. I live vicariously through all of you, when I visit this forum every day.

Sans Souci

Let me put it this way. I never smiled as a baby, unless I was at Disney.

I've been obsessed with everything Disney, not just the parks, since I was two. It was probably earlier than that age, but I remember being two and loving Disney very much. Even the company recognized this, when D23 crowned me Disney Geek right around my birthday, last year. One of the best birthdays ever.

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2012/04/d23s-disney-geek-of-the-week-jasmine-revels/

BTW, age doesn't matter.

That is awesome! What a nice write-up. :)

Bethypoo

I can't remember when I didn't love Disney. As a kid, my parents bought my brother and me lots of Disney books(I still have the Uncle Remus one). I also used to love watching "The Wonderful World of Disney". I was lucky to have grown up in FL and we made our first trip in the mid-70's when I was about 7. I've made so many trips since.

StarWarsGirl

I don't think it ever really hit. It was just kind of part of my life. For me it was more surprising that there were people in this world not obsessed with Disney

WDW97

Original Poster
There are some of us that where raised in Disney and others who discover the MAGIC later... and then some people that just never get it.... you are a lucky one... :)
Well I live in Mississippi, so I don't know whether or not to say if I were raised In Disney, especially since I'm the only one in my family who is crazy about the parks, music and movies, (so I'm kinda alone, especially when it comes to finding someone my age in person who likes Disney as much as I do, so thank goodness for WDWMagic!) but I am definantly lucky compared to those who never got or will get to go. And the others that don't get our obsession...idk what went wrong.

disneysince71

Well I live in Mississippi, so I don't know whether or not to say if I were raised In Disney, especially since I'm the only one in my family who is crazy about the parks, music and movies, (so I'm kinda alone, especially when it comes to finding someone my age in person who likes Disney as much as I do, so thank goodness for WDWMagic!) but I am definantly lucky compared to those who never got or will get to go. And the others that don't get our obsession...idk what went wrong.
They are missing out... :)

WDW97

Original Poster

I've been obsessed with everything Disney, not just the parks, since I was two. It was probably earlier than that age, but I remember being two and loving Disney very much. Even the company recognized this, when D23 crowned me Disney Geek right around my birthday, last year. One of the best birthdays ever.

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2012/04/d23s-disney-geek-of-the-week-jasmine-revels/

BTW, age doesn't matter.
That's amazing and Congrats on being the Geek of the week, I would be so happy, and I like your article, especially the last paragraph about never growing up!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I haven't honestly thought about this question, as I was brought to Disney early as my parents (when near my age) and their parents on my Dad's side (when also nearly my age) were all fond of the parks.

But, I don't think I feel in love with the Parks first, even though my first Disney Memory was the Monorail and Contemporary (at about age 4, before moving overseas).

What solidified it, I think, was the Sony Beta machine my Dad bought while we were in Germany.

As an American in Germany in the 80s, there was only so much english speaking content to watch. And while I would watch German shows from time to time, and even enjoy them, AFN (AFRTS) was our only English speaking channel. And it carried great shows like Star Trek. Another staple was the video rental store, which, back then, carried Disney Rentals...which my Dad dubbed onto Beta tapes. And so, I grew up with "gold beta" releases of Disney short cartoons. But there was one tape above all that I loved...

It included a short story of Walt, and how he made Mickey on a train ride...which led into Steamboat Willie. It also included, as I recall, shorts like Lambert the Sheepish Lion.

That was my true introduction to Disney.

When we came back to the US, I hated it. I hated the people, I hated the place, even though I am American. My grandparents lived near Disneyworld, and started taking me on every summer...and eventually taking me there (with a shady "annual pass" for me)...

About 13 or so, I knew I wanted to be part of it, and at 16, I applied for a part time job.

Never got that job, but the rest is history.

Bloopers

BTW, age doesn't matter.

That's awesome!!!

HatboxGhost

I was actually a fan of the Disney films before I went to WDW. I remember The Wonderful World of Disney....I believe on sunday nights. Also, my parents used to take me to the drive in....yes, the drive in....to see some of the films. The first Disney movie I remember seeing was The Strongest Man in the World in 1975 when I was 7 and LOVED IT. 7-8 years after that I got my first taste of WDW thanks to my older sister(12 years older than me) who took me with her husband and my niece. I didnt go back until 2009 when I went on my honeymoon with my wife and we both are hooked and now go every year. So, I would say I got hooked back when I was 7 but actually got hooked on WDW around 14-15.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom