When will the intervention come?

davis_unoxx

Original Poster
@davis_unoxx As a former CM, what's the morale like for the majority of your coworkers? Are they more pixie-dusted or are they critical? And do the opinions differ based on age/experience?
I'd say there's some workers that have been there for decades that are great at job, then there is some that go beyond the perimeters of the job to micromanage and harass.

There was one lady who had been there for 30 years at my bar, who would take our wine keys if we left next to reigster which was allowed... And put it in safe for a month to reprimand us, we'd have to buy or borrow wine keys when she did this. Keep in my mind we had to purchase our own wine openers, none never even given to us to use.

This was last year at the Sonoma/Mendocino Terrace bars, where I was paid under $17 and was not allowed to accept any tips...

Then a lot of the cast members at my next position didn't take job seriously, and we were paid almost 30 an hour... They would often be grouping and such and with the leads and management have favorites, the people actually doing their jobs were thrown under bus more than the trouble makers. Anyone that has worked at Disney can talk about how there is a lot of favoritism on the management level.

For example when I was getting trained alongside another person, the trainer was texting in front of us how the two new people she were training were the dumbest people she's ever dealt with, and they would never understand how to roll towels correctly.

I didn't report it to management at first, but once this lead started micromanaging me beyond a reasonable level I did. After that the retaliation from her I got was unreal. This is a big problem at Disney beyond the scenes why so many great CMs leave, the rude management that makes it a toxic place to work beyond most workplaces.

davis_unoxx

Original Poster
Even a decade ago Disney was coming out with experiences and shows in their parks that attempted humor, and werenโ€™t overly worried about offending people. What happened? Why canโ€™t we have rides that are a little scary?

Look at this show, was in Hollywood studios. You can see Johnny Depp making jokes that adults will find funny, but will go right over kids heads. Literally in the first scene Johnny Depp is in, heโ€™s having some fun with Pirate Redd. In the last scene he's drinking a bottle of rum while singing along to Yo Ho, I bet this would never be made by 2024 Disney.

Attractions that have humor are fun, just like the Country Bear Jamboree itโ€™s more entertaining when things have character, especially when thereโ€™s humor that goes over kids heads but make mom and dad laugh.

What changed in management that we have to make sure everything is squeaky clean nowadays? Itโ€™s a lot less fun!

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

Hello everyone!

It's not just the general public that feels meh about recent additions added to the parks with Galaxy's Edge, Avenger's Campus and Tiana's. Bob Iger isn't happy either.

I know from second hand account, that when Iger walked around Galaxy's Edge, he called it a lifeless shopping mall. He also said similar comments about Avenger's Campus at DCA. I'm getting this information from my former time working at the Disneyland Resort which concluded this spring. I was friendly with a lot of security guards, and this was what they witnessed Iger saying.

I heard these comments about those lands, before it was reported here that he also called Tiana's Bayou Adventure boring. I have no doubt in my mind that he said the same about TBA due to his notorious reputation among cast at DLR for being ruthless in his comments about how he is feeling.
While I know some would disagree, I think Disney has excelled in the attention to detail department on recent projects. To the point where people have found it excessive. (For example, the backstory and research for TBA - some have actually criticized them for making the detailing too over the top.)

What I think has been consistently missing is contemplating where exactly people want to be transported to, if they are mentally transported to another place. Do people want to hang out in a lonely, rough outpost on the fringes of the galaxy? To a swamp? To Werner Herzog's sad beige hotel for Sad. Beige. Vacationers.? (That's a slightly obscure reference to the new Poly DVC, lol.)

I think that's what they need to figure out right now. If Disney Parks are a bit of escapism, where do people want to escape to. All of the realism in the world doesn't hit it out of the park unless there's an element of the uplifting, joyful, and / or amazing included as well.

JIMINYCR

Real change will only come when Disney is at the brink of destruction and another take over plot rears its head. Then the top brass will begin to panic and have no other option but to put in place measures that should have been made years ago. Starting with real leadership at the top, someone who has a real love for the brand and cares about its guests.

bwr827

I stayed in the WDW bubble last year for the first time. Pop Century. Previously had always stayed offsite.

We loved it and felt it was worth every dollar. The Skyliner was fantastic. Bus service was solid.

We loved each park and many of our favorite experiences were the newer ones. Galaxyโ€™s Edge looked and sounded incredible. Rise and Smugglerโ€™s were a hit for us. Flight of Passage was our #1 ride.

Customer service lived up to the reputation. Cast members seemed so genuinely happy. The parks and hotel were incredibly clean. My daughter lost her Minnie ears and Disney found them and shipped them to our home in Canada, free of charge.

Other commenters arenโ€™t wrong about Universal, though. We loved it just as much. Better value. Cast were not as happy but it was all fine. Wizarding World is incredible. Hotel was way better value.

Anyway, sharing this as a very recent experience that made us excited to save for our next Orlando trip.

Disstevefan1

Yeah, no.
Comparing pre pandemic prices to post pandemic prices on ANYTHING (nothing to do with WDW) is amazing. just a stupid example, I needed to replace my barbeque cover I purchased before the pandemic, in just a few years the price for the identical item, the price tripled.

Also look at for example fast food prices just before the pandemic compared to after the pandemic, its crazy! The pandemic absolutely changed businesses (who even managed to survive) forever, and not for the better...... EXCEPT for the pharmaceutical business!

The pandemic was the BEST thing for the pharmaceutical business!

Chef Mickey

Comparing pre pandemic prices to post pandemic prices on ANYTHING (nothing to do with WDW) is amazing. just a stupid example, I needed to replace my barbeque cover I purchased before the pandemic, in just a few years the price for the identical item, the price tripled.

Also look at for example fast food prices just before the pandemic compared to after the pandemic, its crazy! The pandemic absolutely changed businesses (who even managed to survive) forever, and not for the better...... EXCEPT for the pharmaceutical business!

The pandemic was the BEST thing for the pharmaceutical business!
Disney is making 25% of the profit they made in 2018 and were down 25% before Covid even happened. Most competent companies have recovered long ago.

Inflation actually should have helped Disney because it "justified" price increases which they did make but still can't manage profitability.

Inflation also causes stock prices to increase (all else equal) and this STILL hasn't helped DIS to recover.

Disney is horribly managed by incompetent fools.

Mondo

Real change will only come when Disney is at the brink of destruction and another take over plot rears its head. Then the top brass will begin to panic and have no other option but to put in place measures that should have been made years ago. Starting with real leadership at the top, someone who has a real love for the brand and cares about its guests.
Disagree. I truly believe that current management is out of touch with the human condition, and unable to adapt the instincts necessary to return to greatness. Iger and his cronies have to go.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disagree. I truly believe that current management is out of touch with the human condition, and unable to adapt the instincts necessary to return to greatness. Iger and his cronies have to go.
I donโ€™t think he really disagreed with you at all.

But it doesnโ€™t matter much.

The board will have to remove Igerโ€ฆor they will need to be removed themselvesโ€ฆand that will be because of continued lagging performance.

Whatever the cover story would beโ€ฆthat a a 1+1 scenario

Mondo

I donโ€™t think he really disagreed with you at all.

But it doesnโ€™t matter much.

The board will have to remove Igerโ€ฆor they will need to be removed themselvesโ€ฆand that will be because of continued lagging performance.

Whatever the cover story would beโ€ฆthat a a 1+1 scenario
His contention was that the top brass would change things for the better if the had a fire lit under their ***. Mine is that they wouldnโ€™t know how.

davis_unoxx

Original Poster
IMG_5293.png
IMG_5294.png
Tick tock Iger, 5 min wait for Slinky Dog. Iโ€™ve never seen it that low, and this is supposed to be one of the busier times of summerโ€ฆ

If itโ€™s this slow now, starting the week after July 4th Disney World will be dead!

Weโ€™ve hit the point I believe, where Disney has made a large chunk of the public mad enough on a variety of issues that they have turned off their bread and butter.

Remember, Disney Parks are over 70% of their profits vs 25% a year ago. Crowds are drying up, resort occupancy is cratering. Theyโ€™re getting horrible feedback on their newest ride. Have we hit rock bottom or is there more before the tides change?

JIMINYCR

As I postedโ€ฆ with real leadership , meaning that Iger and those in positions that make decisions are replaced.

JIMINYCR

His contention was that the top brass would change things for the better if the had a fire lit under their ***. Mine is that they wouldnโ€™t know how.
They would be left with no choice. They would be forced to make necessary changes. It would be a survive or go down scenario.

Vclguy90

As long as we and everyone else keeps giving them money, they considered all the negativity out outcry as good press for them. Sure they wish it were positive but they aren't giving a crap about it since the dollars are rolling in. They are probably in their office thinking how they could make things worse for the publicity.... JK but probably not TOO far off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom