When to go...need your opinion

timmy31

My girlfriend and I planning a trip for sometime within the next year. We were originally planning on going after we graduate which is at the end of May 2007, and we would leave on the 20th ( a week from labor day). I'm a little unsure about the crowd situation that late in may so I started looking for other times that could work and my options are beginning to mid Jan or the end of March during our spring break (probably my second choice after May). The issue I have with Jan is that I'm worried that the hours may be shorter and more things may be closed (and I have read that the weather is not always that great). I know I'm going to have to make some trade-offs between crowd size and hours/closings/weather, buy any thoughts on what the best option would be? Any input is appreciated.

thanks

kachow

I've read others who love Jan/Feb, but my wife and I went during that time in 2002, and we had to wear sweaters and jackets during the day for all but maybe two days of our weeklong trip. It seems like it can swing either way, but based on our experience, we'll likely never go back during that time unless it's for some event that we have to go to. The crowds are definitely light during that time though, so that is a plus.

If I could take a trip at any time of the year though, I would probably either pick early May (probably best combo of light crowds and good weather) or mid-November (for light crowds and holiday decorations/events).

Upvote 0

dave2822

I would stick with May as you had originally planned. The crowds are still light, and you'll have perfect weather.

Though crowds will be even lighter in January, you would have to possibly contend with worse weather and more rehabs / closings / shorter hours.

And March is not only one of the busier seasons (spring break), but is also peak season in terms of what you'll pay.

It seems as if you have put in too much thought and time into planning the perfect vacation, so I'd suggest waiting until May and limiting some variables.

Upvote 0

New2WDW

I agree with Dave above! If these are your times to go! You can always look for discounts on the rooms, etc. Other than that have fun planning!!!

Upvote 0

isitingood

I like Jan.or feb. I have gone 3 times in Jan and never had a problem with the weather. It was perfect always around 70 to 72 degrees:p Now it did get a little chilly at night but not bad,all you need is a light jacket or sweater:p It seems to me it rains more during hurricane season then Jan.

Upvote 0

metscool

Hey, I don't know if anyone said this. But after all the schools start. I head that the lines are very short. I was there when I was young. I had fun.

Upvote 0

ssidiouss@mac.c

timmy31 said:
My girlfriend and I planning a trip for sometime within the next year. We were originally planning on going after we graduate which is at the end of May 2007, and we would leave on the 20th ( a week from labor day). I'm a little unsure about the crowd situation that late in may so I started looking for other times that could work and my options are beginning to mid Jan or the end of March during our spring break (probably my second choice after May). The issue I have with Jan is that I'm worried that the hours may be shorter and more things may be closed (and I have read that the weather is not always that great). I know I'm going to have to make some trade-offs between crowd size and hours/closings/weather, buy any thoughts on what the best option would be? Any input is appreciated.

thanks

Okay.. what we decided to do is..

Go the first week of March 2007..

I like the cooler weather rather than the hot weather #1.. and also .. you will be able to do the pirate parties at Magic Kingdom.. and on those nights the park will be open till midnight and also it will be dead on the rides because kids will be busy doing the character greetings! Also don't worry about closing times because every night there are extra magic hours if you stay on property so magic kindom will be open until midnight on one day (more if u do the pirate parties), epcot will be popen until midnight another day, etc.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen11

I'm a transplant from Wisconsin... 4 years now in Florida, been going to WDW about every other weekend (except summer!) for 3 years.

Let's put "cold" into context - - January/February "cold" to Floridians is what we Wisconsinites would call Spring. No joke.

My opinion... early March (before spring breaks start) and my favorite, October/November (just before Thanksgiving). No crowds, decent weather.

You should be in good shape, though, in May... very nice weather - a bit more crowded then January, but manageable and enjoyable!!

Upvote 0

Dagger

I'm going in May so I'm not going to talk badly about it. I've been there twice already and if you hit it at the right time, you'll catch the flower festival season. To be honest, I'd like to go at a different time but May seems to work out for us a lot. My dad was just there a few weeks ago (he lives in S. Florida) and he said it was so packed and so hot....I'd like to go in July for cheaper rates but I'm nervous about that! I've never been at any other time than when it's really hot though. I think it will be weird when we go in December.. :xmas:

Upvote 0

metscool

Hey, in Feb. you don't want to be down there on the three week. That week is the speed week at Daytona. I was there this year and it was full as if you were there in the summer but cooler. Or maybe it was because they did a soft opening of Everest that week.

Upvote 0

Camelot

The last two times I went to Disney World was in mid-December and it was really nice. The Christmas decorations were up and the Parks were not very crowed, except on the weekend, as you would expect. The weather was very nice, though I did need a sweater at night.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

My suggestion

I have to say that I have been at many different times of year. I have been in May and even up to the first week of June and found that the crowds aren't bad and the weather isn't too hot. (Of course I'm from Texas so my idea of what is hot is different than others.)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom