When the meal is great but the server isn't...do you ever go back?

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
I've been to Jiko now on 4 occasions. The first three we had great food and service but this past Thursday while still having great food we had some of the worst service I've ever had at disney. Because of my past experiences with the venue and because we're almost local and passholders I'm sure we'll eventually go back but it got me thinking about people who don't go as often how do you decide the give a venue a second chance?

Last Thursday my sister and I had a 9pm adr at Jiko. We'd declined wine service to the woman seating us but she didn't take a drink order but left water ...ok. Our waiter David (caucasian male a bit over 6ft tall and chatty nice) arrived at our table in a reasonable time after we were seated and handed us menus, returned and asked if we had any questions and upon saying no took our app order and never said anything about entrees. We were ready to enjoy a slow paced dinner so we thought..ok and didn't realize until he'd left that he'd still not taken a drink order. Appetizers are delivered by kitchen person. We ask about bread service and are told that's only with a dinner order. She promptly left the table side. We looked at each other sort of confused. Finally spotting David after finishing our appetizers I asked for a sprite, he said ok and left the table so fast I thought he was on fire (he also didn't ask my sister if she wanted anything to drink) upon his return he put down the glass and turned to leave without saying anything when my sister said she'd like a drink as well. He said ok and came back with it. At this point he turned yet again to leave as if being chased by zombies when we called out for him to return. We then asked if he could slow down a moment we'd like to place our meal order. He said, "but you're not having dinner"...WHAT THE FAIRYTALE???? We explained that yes, we made a dinner reservation to have dinner. He took our order and the meal proceeded fairy normal until we asked to speak to the manager. David disappeared for a while then upon his return we were told the manager had left. No apology or explanation for how were were treated or anything else. I'm not the type to go in being critical then demanding a discount but not even a sorry for the mix up sucked. I've loved my meals a Jiko but if this were my only experience I'd never return. I'll let each person make their own decision but if you're looking forward to a special experience and find yourself seated in David's section...well ...you decide if it's worth asking for a section change or not.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
If I absolutely love the food we will go back and just report the problems we had to the appropriate source. Especially with Disney restaurants that we usually only eat at once a year or so I hate to miss a favorite meal of ours just because of poor service. It will just reflect in their tip. I will still tip but it won't be a generous (over 15%-20%) as when we have awesome service.
Sorry you had this happen to you. Usually we have had wonderful service at Jiko! :)

Hockey89

I've been to Jiko now on 4 occasions. The first three we had great food and service but this past Thursday while still having great food we had some of the worst service I've ever had at disney. Because of my past experiences with the venue and because we're almost local and passholders I'm sure we'll eventually go back but it got me thinking about people who don't go as often how do you decide the give a venue a second chance?

Last Thursday my sister and I had a 9pm adr at Jiko. We'd declined wine service to the woman seating us but she didn't take a drink order but left water ...ok. Our waiter David (caucasian male a bit over 6ft tall and chatty nice) arrived at our table in a reasonable time after we were seated and handed us menus, returned and asked if we had any questions and upon saying no took our app order and never said anything about entrees. We were ready to enjoy a slow paced dinner so we thought..ok and didn't realize until he'd left that he'd still not taken a drink order. Appetizers are delivered by kitchen person. We ask about bread service and are told that's only with a dinner order. She promptly left the table side. We looked at each other sort of confused. Finally spotting David after finishing our appetizers I asked for a sprite, he said ok and left the table so fast I thought he was on fire (he also didn't ask my sister if she wanted anything to drink) upon his return he put down the glass and turned to leave without saying anything when my sister said she'd like a drink as well. He said ok and came back with it. At this point he turned yet again to leave as if being chased by zombies when we called out for him to return. We then asked if he could slow down a moment we'd like to place our meal order. He said, "but you're not having dinner"...WHAT THE FAIRYTALE???? We explained that yes, we made a dinner reservation to have dinner. He took our order and the meal proceeded fairy normal until we asked to speak to the manager. David disappeared for a while then upon his return we were told the manager had left. No apology or explanation for how were were treated or anything else. I'm not the type to go in being critical then demanding a discount but not even a sorry for the mix up sucked. I've loved my meals a Jiko but if this were my only experience I'd never return. I'll let each person make their own decision but if you're looking forward to a special experience and find yourself seated in David's section...well ...you decide if it's worth asking for a section change or not.
The old you are not drinking wine or booze, so you won't get our best service.... It happens all over the country for sure...

Marianm

I would go back. Everyone deserves a second chance and maybe this server was just having a difficult time during your reservation period.
I always give servers/ restaurants a second chance and even if I have bad service I put myself in their shoes and still tip appropriately.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
David...oh my goodness...if this is the same David we've had in the past, he's made poor service an art form. We had him first at 'Ohana, then a year or so later he was our server at 1900 Park Fare...it would not surprise me if he is now at Jiko.

That said, @EvilQueen-T, I would not write off Jiko yet. Sounds like you experienced the perfect storm of bad dining luck!

ABQ

Without echoing everyone else's sentiments, I have had a very similar experience, and at Jiko as well. But I have gone back. I've had at least one meal there every annual trip from 2004 till 2014 and luckily, had only the 1 bad experience. You may be on the same pace having had 3 out of 4 successful dinner experiences there. Don't let this one bad one ruin the entire restaurant for you. And who knows, if I'm seated down this December and find 6+ foot tall David is our waiter, I'll ask for a new one. If that's the case, you just did us all a favour by pointing him out.

ekutchey

We have had poor service before more than once I am afraid to say but never at the same place. We usually do go back because the food is amazing! Also because it isn't a restaurant we can visit as we wish like near home. Also if we find a waiter we truly like when checking in we see if they are still working and if so we request their section, sometimes this adds a few minutes wait but for good service we will wait the little extra.

Tony the Tigger

How did they even get the impression all you were having was apps?? :confused:

I wondered the same thing - maybe when they turned down the wine service with the first person, there was some miscommunication and they were written off as a "cheapie table" (which never justifies that kind of treatment, but I've seen it plenty of times.)

Ben_since_1971

Once is an aberration. Twice (same place, same service) - hmmmm. Could be indicative of an environment of bad service. Might want to think going back a third time.

That said, there is a place local to where I live (semi-national chain) that consistently has poor service no matter which restaurant we go to. BUT - there is one store conveniently halfway between where I live and where my father lives (we live about 80 miles apart) so we meet there if we want to meet for dinner. The food is always good, and we learn to live with the so-so service and just enjoy each other's company.

DisneyJunkie

If the food is that good, I'd definitely go back......especially since you never really know who your server will be. One might not even work there anymore on your subsequent trip or you'll more likely get someone else anyway.

Fortunately that's never come up for me. Sometimes the servers haven't been anything special or worth writing home about, but I haven't had any that were particularly terrible.

EvilQueen-T

Original Poster
I wondered the same thing - maybe when they turned down the wine service with the first person, there was some miscommunication and they were written off as a "cheapie table" (which never justifies that kind of treatment, but I've seen it plenty of times.)

That's what we wondered too but it's sad when a $150 bill is considered the cheap table. It was just sooooo weird.

ToTBellHop

For me, it depends. There are so many signatures at WDW, that I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to go back. We had bad service at Cali Grill the last time we went and haven't been back. Why bother when we have Narcoossees or Citricos or Artist Point in the same vicinity? I find menus at most of the signatures to be pretty formulaic. I can find something similar elsewhere and not spend the whole time I spend headed there hoping it'll be worth the $200.

JIMINYCR

I would go back if the meal is worth a return. But since the CM waiting on you wasnt helpful and had a poor attitude, I'd definitely ask for a different section if I got him again. And I dont get "the manager has left" line either. There has to be someone on duty he would answer to. I'd have pushed the issue to talk to someone who would hear my complaint about the service and respond at least with an apology. David would only learn to handle guests properly if guests that are unhappy with him act on their displeasure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom