When Snow White's Scary Adventures was dismantled...

jkl2000

Original Poster
...was there a big outcry here? I would imagine so, even if the Mine Train attraction sounds cool.
I actually can't remember if I ever rode SWSA - I think for some reason I didn't. Not sure why not, though.
BTW, I just recently heard about Pooh's Playful Spot - man, DS4 would have loved that! Seems like they kind of razed some good stuff to "expand" Fantasyland (and of course dismantled 20K before that). Are they really expanding it, or just tearing down old stuff and building new stuff?

ToTBellHop

Big? No. The sadness comes from the fact that we lost a ride, not that we lost SWSA. If it had been updated to a new Fantasyland style dark ride (perhaps, dare to dream, based on something like Aladdin or the Lion King?), there would have been cheers (and a few tears). The fact that a ride was removed to put in a Meet n Greet with wonderful bookends is the real insult.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
...was there a big outcry here? I would imagine so, even if the Mine Train attraction sounds cool.
I actually can't remember if I ever rode SWSA - I think for some reason I didn't. Not sure why not, though.
BTW, I just recently heard about Pooh's Playful Spot - man, DS4 would have loved that! Seems like they kind of razed some good stuff to "expand" Fantasyland (and of course dismantled 20K before that). Are they really expanding it, or just tearing down old stuff and building new stuff?
Pooh's Playful Spot was nice, but nothing to mourn. My DS4 thought it was good for about 10 mins, but then boring.

tractorm3

Forgive me I may stand alone on this but I really don't like rides or attractions that just tell the exact movie. I like the twist of the 7 dwarfs and focusing on that aspect, I like buzz going to defeat Zurg, and he Muppets having their own show showing us their studios.

Not a HUGE fan of Nemo ride, Snow white, and I will see it in he next few days but the Little Mermaid ride. Just doesn't do it for me. but I will always be caught on them every trip hehe

jkl2000

Original Poster
I just love dark rides, and feel as they get older, they get better (if they can be maintained). Updating them sometimes gets awkward, so I'm a little leery of seeing the updates to some of the dark rides in WDW next month.

If they involve riding in a boat, that's the best. I'll have to look for a ride-through video of SWSA it must be out there. It wasn't in a boat, was it? I guess that wouldn't make sense.

Seabasealpha1

I dunno...I've ridden SWSA at least twice...and both times I can't say I was overly impressed...though, I do understand the nostalgia and the love for it that people express as I myself miss things like Horizons...etc...

I guess the most thrilling part for me was the graphic of the huntsman as you walked up to the ride...to me, he looked SO much like Gene Simmons during the 90's...

09swsaendexitmurB.jpg
tongene1sm.gif

A1st

I just love dark rides, and feel as they get older, they get better (if they can be maintained). Updating them sometimes gets awkward, so I'm a little leery of seeing the updates to some of the dark rides in WDW next month.

If they involve riding in a boat, that's the best. I'll have to look for a ride-through video of SWSA it must be out there. It wasn't in a boat, was it? I guess that wouldn't make sense.

Um this is a POV that I found on youtube

HouCuseChickie

While I was mainly bothered that it was an actual ride being replaced by a M&G, there was some nostalgia factor here for me too. I'd ridden this one several times prior to having kids and it had quite an impact on them on their first trip to WDW...namely, they were terrified and asked that we never ride it again. Oddly enough, they wanted to ride it on their 2nd visit and weren't nearly as scared. And at least one of them was bothered that it was gone when we visited last year...she liked waving good-bye to Dopey.

MOXOMUMD

While I was mainly bothered that it was an actual ride being replaced by a M&G, there was some nostalgia factor here for me too. I'd ridden this one several times prior to having kids and it had quite an impact on them on their first trip to WDW...namely, they were terrified and asked that we never ride it again. Oddly enough, they wanted to ride it on their 2nd visit and weren't nearly as scared. And at least one of them was bothered that it was gone when we visited last year...she liked waving good-bye to Dopey.
I'm a mom and I would wave goodbye to Dopey. :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I think it was dumb to remove a ride for yet another meet and greet. I dealt with Toad for Pooh, though I was fond of Toad, but it was a ride for a ride.

I was sadder for the loss of Toon for the Storybook trade-offs, good memories with my kids. Toon kept evolving. Every few years something new was added and deleted. It was a wonderful release area for wee kids to climb and play. While Storybook is themed nicely, the theming is more geared for adult appreciation than wee little kids. There isn't much room for it to continue to evolve. Other than a second Dumbo not much was gained in Storybook. Donald Boat vs Circus splash area, Goofy Coaster remained however I like the corn veggie queue better. The tents remain. It seems forever lost the Minnie and Mickey Houses and the climbing playground area that has somewhat been replaced in the inside queue of Dumbo yet it is structured, with a beeper. Toon had two different playgrounds at different times and you could go there anytime your preschooler just needed to be a preschooler and goof around and play.

doctornick

I was sadder for the loss of Toon for the Storybook trade-offs, good memories with my kids. Toon kept evolving. Every few years something new was added and deleted. It was a wonderful release area for wee kids to climb and play. While Storybook is themed nicely, the theming is more geared for adult appreciation than wee little kids. There isn't much room for it to continue to evolve. Other than a second Dumbo not much was gained in Storybook. Donald Boat vs Circus splash area, Goofy Coaster remained however I like the corn veggie queue better. The tents remain. It seems forever lost the Minnie and Mickey Houses and the climbing playground area that has somewhat been replaced in the inside queue of Dumbo yet it is structured, with a beeper. Toon had two different playgrounds at different times and you could go there anytime your preschooler just needed to be a preschooler and goof around and play.

I still think they messed up with Storybook Circus by not adding another ride instead of the M&G. They could have used the same theme of Disney characters at circus performers, but made it a ride where your vehicle went past animatronics of said characters. Sort of like this Circus Disney attraction once considered for DL. That, I think, would have enhanced the circus area greatly and would have reduced the complaining about how the FLE has a lack of stuff to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom