When MGM first opened?

DisneyWorld30th

Original Poster
Help me sovle an argument...

When MGM Studios first opened, was there a stage show in the location of where the entrance to Sunset Builvard is now?

I remember standing infront of the Great Movie Ride and watching a show across the way!

Also, Did the tram tour take you down New York Street? I remember when it opened that the street was closed to the trams!

lifeguard1020

You are correct...

You are correct on both accounts...
The stage (The theater of the Stars I think it was called) was located right where teh entrance to sunset blvd is now...the only show i really remember from there was the D..K Tracy show...a musical about a diamond heist I think...
You are right abotu the tram tour as well...Originally you could not walk on New York street at all...that entire side fo the park was "tram tour only." Incidentally, the tram tour was much longer back then too...
Now that I think about it...one of the streets was all painted up like it was in D..K Tracy and a little scene was acted out as you drove past...

Ahhh...memories of the old MGM...

Dan

sniggle74

Good memories, indeed, Dan. If only we could still have some of what was there then. A longer Backstage Tour (with interaction), a working studio, and a glimps of Hollywood magic. *sigh*

Mateo1721

I used to love the giant bee that you would ride on and they would put you into "Honey I shrunk the kids". I rarely even go on the backlot tour anymore because of all the changes they have made. You can only see catastrophe canyon so many times before it gets repetetive (like earthquake at Universal).

s25843

I always thought it was funny for how the first few months they hired actors to keep acting like they were shooting a music video, to keep the tour interesting

Mateo1721

The backstage studio tour was 2 hours long?!! wow!

I remember it being long, but not that long.

How long does the one today take.

(btw- those maps are awesome)

sniggle74

Originally posted by Mateo1721
The backstage studio tour was 2 hours long?!! wow!

I remember it being long, but not that long.

How long does the one today take.

(btw- those maps are awesome)

How long does it take now.....hmmm....five minutes *giggle*

Actually, I think it's only about 15-20 minutes

imagineersrock

wow.. looking at those maps, and reading the text.. brings back some great memories.. I'd forgotten how truly awesome this all was way back when.. it was neat how strong of a 'working studios' feel the place had.... so sad to see it all go...

and for Mateo1721 , the current tour is like 15 or so minutes.. :(

DisneyWorld30th

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's input...

In case you were wandering...I won the bet!!!

I sure do miss the Vintage Disney World! There aren't many vintage pictures out there! I checked on disneypix and didn't see old pics!

Just to confirm, the old Theature of the Stars was demolished. A new one built (current location - Sunset Bulivard).

barnum42

Before Richard Tracy, the original show was a "Hooray for Hollywood" type thing with the Characters acting out various famous film roles and ending with them all in white tails, top hats and canes. I have some of it tucked away on video!

They also carried out interviews there with the "Star of the Day". Most of them were American TV celebs that I did not know, but I went to one where I met Gary Burghof (Radar from M*A*S*H). He also did a solo on a drum kit used in the show.

HMGhost13

that's ok.

my dad remembers (and has photos) of the Muppet Stage show from long lost time ago. the Disney board he posts on doesn't believe him.

BigNorm

Okay, I've got one now...for some reason I remember Herbie the Love Bug at the Studios when it first opened. Was Herbie apart of the Backlot Tour? It seems like he would smoke his tires and charge the tram. Am I dreaming this or was it for real?

Coasterbp

Yep. Herbie was on Residential Street. He would drive on the driveway of the house that was later used for Ernest Saves Christmas.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And if I remember the driveway was full of tyre marks and you could see the rail under him... ah the days of Disney-MGM STUDIOS!!!

sniggle74

and if I remember correctly, Herbie was near the Golden Girls' House...which was across the street from the Empty Nest House. Boo Hoo :(

Ah....the days of yore!

DisneyWorld30th

Original Poster
Re: Bette Midler

Originally posted by Palofmickey
Wasn't there a movie with Bette Midler about a lottery ticket and the making of the movie with props?

There was...I believe the short movie was called "The Ticket". It was the first (and possibly the only) movie filmed at the MGM Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom