When it's just adults, how do you handle Character dining and other interactions?

LeighM

I am actually the opposite for character interaction responses. I can meet princesses because I can see their faces, and they are actually required to engage in and carry conversation of sorts. But for masked characters, I don't know how to interact or really what to say besides, "hey!" and I also don't actually see the person I am meeting.

In all honesty, I have more social anxiety to masked characters/people who use faces to cover up their real personalities versus unmasked ones. (This goes for real life as well. :()

When I was younger I hated the Easter Bunny bc I couldn't see their face...same thing with Santa. Terrified of him! But now I enjoy the masked characters bc there doesn't have to be any talking. I follow their lead and give a hug when they go in for a hug, high five if that's what Goofy is doing, etc. I take a quick picture and leave :) The only meet and greet that required more of me was for Joy and Sadness bc that lasted longer than I was expecting.

jloucks

So, folks pretty much covered the "don't get up" technique. This is a standard indicator of disinterest, and it is how I roll when I don't want to go vogue while eating.

As a suffer of social anxiety too, I just remember it is a social thing. As in, other people are key to the situation, and that gives me a focal point to talk myself out of stress. Remind yourself that unless you do something super nuts, that other people at worst, will look at you funny.

Now this crutch is a little weird. But it is so effective for me that I feel compelled to share. I think about the folks living in the 1700's and 1800's and how I am sure some of them had social anxiety and how totally and utterly meaningless it is now to them or anybody else. We will all be gone soon enough so just put off your worry about what other people think of you until a couple hundred years after your gone.

mergatroid

Now this crutch is a little weird. But it is so effective for me that I feel compelled to share. I think about the folks living in the 1700's and 1800's and how I am sure some of them had social anxiety and how totally and utterly meaningless it is now to them or anybody else. We will all be gone soon enough so just put off your worry about what other people think of you until a couple hundred years after your gone.

Not having a go at you but this did make me smile. You can pay about $60 for two of you to have a character breakfast and say to your partner "Don't get anxious about meeting the characters dear, if it feels awkward just remember we'll be dead one day and nobody will remember us. Now just enjoy yourself" :D:D:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom