When it's just adults, how do you handle Character dining and other interactions?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I'm not trying to be rude; I'm confused. Why are you going to a character meal - and paying for it - if you don't want to meet the characters?
I like the character meals because of the restaurants themselves. Don't get me wrong though, meeting a few characters here and there is fine, but I get very overwhelmed after the 4th or 5th character comes by and I can't really enjoy the meal I am eating.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I'd certainly like to eat at the Akershus (for the food and ambiance) without the characters floating around (or the inherent uptick in little children), but I don't think it's an option, so I see the OP's point.
Exactly! Although I don't mind actually hearing children and others talking/interacting with characters. That doesn't bother me one bit. It's when I myself have to interact almost without an option not to. Makes me feel obligated and my meal time kind of feels slightly awkward.

LeighM

I have some social anxiety as well and I do much better with the meet and greets of furry characters because I'm not required to make small talk - and even then I'll take a quick picture and play along for a few seconds. If I'm at Akershus (which I enjoy for the food and theme) then when I see them coming to the table, I'll make eye contact and just give a small shake of my head. If a princess doesn't get that hint, then I'll say hello and nicely suggest she spend more time with the children next to our table. You're not going to hurt their feelings if you don't want a picture so it's easier to say no thank you. In character dining most of the time they are in such a hurry to get to all tables that it's no problem at all.

KentB3

Has anyone ever had anyone look at them funny since they, as adults, are doing character greets? It happened once to me. I have posted this before, but since this is related to the post's subject, I'll post this story again. In November 2005, I attended the character breakfast at Akershus (at the Norway Pavilion in EPCOT's World Showcase). Belle greeted the customers in the lobby area, wearing her yellow ballroom dress. Belle was really sweet and friendly, but her character attendant and the photographer looked at us funny like they couldn't understand why we as adults would go to a character greet, or even go the character meal, almost like they thought something was wrong with us! This also affected the service we got that morning. Tables that had children got FAR better service from the wait staff, especially if they had girls, that tables with adults and no children.

The character interaction was much more rushed than all other character meals I have been too, but the characters were still great with us, especially Mulan. The other characters we got were Snow White, Jasmine (from Aladdin), Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), and Mary Poppins. This was the third character meal on that trip we had Mary Poppins (she also appeared at Cinderella's Royal Table and 1900 Park Faire), and I joked with were, saying that her flying umbrella helped he get around to so many places! :hilarious:

I have been to WDW three times so far (2005, 2006, & 2008), and this is the only time I ever have been anyone react this way to doing character greets as adults! Is it still like this at Akershus now? Also, has anyone else ever had an experience like this as adults (or more specifically all-adult groups) meeting characters in the parks?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I have some social anxiety as well and I do much better with the meet and greets of furry characters because I'm not required to make small talk - and even then I'll take a quick picture and play along for a few seconds.
I am actually the opposite for character interaction responses. I can meet princesses because I can see their faces, and they are actually required to engage in and carry conversation of sorts. But for masked characters, I don't know how to interact or really what to say besides, "hey!" and I also don't actually see the person I am meeting.

In all honesty, I have more social anxiety to masked characters/people who use faces to cover up their real personalities versus unmasked ones. (This goes for real life as well. :()

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Has anyone ever had anyone look at them funny since they, as adults, are doing character greets? It happened once to me. I have posted this before, but since this is related to the post's subject, I'll post this story again. In November 2005, I attended the character breakfast at Akershus (at the Norway Pavilion in EPCOT's World Showcase). Belle greeted the customers in the lobby area, wearing her yellow ballroom dress. Belle was really sweet and friendly, but her character attendant and the photographer looked at us funny like they couldn't understand why we as adults would go to a character greet, or even go the character meal, almost like they thought something was wrong with us! This also affected the service we got that morning. Tables that had children got FAR better service from the wait staff, especially if they had girls, that tables with adults and no children.

The character interaction was much more rushed than all other character meals I have been too, but the characters were still great with us, especially Mulan. The other characters we got were Snow White, Jasmine (from Aladdin), Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), and Mary Poppins. This was the third character meal on that trip we had Mary Poppins (she also appeared at Cinderella's Royal Table and 1900 Park Faire), and I joked with were, saying that her flying umbrella helped he get around to so many places! :hilarious:

I have been to WDW three times so far (2005, 2006, & 2008), and this is the only time I ever have been anyone react this way to doing character greets as adults! Is it still like this at Akershus now? Also, has anyone else ever had an experience like this as adults (or more specifically all-adult groups) meeting characters in the parks?
When my husband and I were at Disney on our honeymoon, we went to Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast one morning. Before we even walked into the restaurant, the hostess asked for our reservation, looked at us and said "Oh look, two adults." and then rolled her eyes at us... yep, that was magical all right.

But with characters being rushed in the restaurant, yep that happened to us too. I think it is mainly because they have a set time to go through the entire place to meet and greet with every table.

KentB3

When my husband and I were at Disney on our honeymoon, we went to Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast one morning. Before we even walked into the restaurant, the hostess asked for our reservation, looked at us and said "Oh look, two adults." and then rolled her eyes at us... yep, that was magical all right.

But with characters being rushed in the restaurant, yep that happened to us too. I think it is mainly because they have a set time to go through the entire place to meet and greet with every table.

I have been to Cinderella's Royal Table three times (once on each trip), and never had an experience like that! Everyone at CRT (and at any other character meal) has been very friendly, and the characters never were rushed there.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I had a little anxiety when meeting Pocahontas. Wait maybe that wasn't anxiety.
CekSupT.gif

notslim99

My advice:

With face characters (princesses and such,) let them lead the conversation. They have scripts and lines to say, so let them do the work and you just respond. With costume characters (Mickey, Donald, etc,) a “Hi, Mickey! Thanks for stopping by!” is always my go-to. Hope this helps.

Bender123

I usually just play it up and have fun with it. Everybody is there for the good time and I don't think others really notice or care. I get a cringe picture with tinkerbell every trip, because it always looks so out of place...

TARDIS

One word...awkwardly.

I have bad social anxiety myself and always seem to say something stupid and then they have to roll with it :banghead:. Sooo after I have met a few and my anxiety/embarrassment is on high alert I then start saying "hi" stand and get picture and sit back down quickly and then say "bye". They usually get the idea and move on. Its a struggle of wanting the experience and loving those restaurants but not overwhelming yourself at the same time.

Bender123

One word...awkwardly.

I have bad social anxiety myself and always seem to say something stupid and then they have to roll with it :banghead:. Sooo after I have met a few and my anxiety/embarrassment is on high alert I then start saying "hi" stand and get picture and sit back down quickly and then say "bye". They usually get the idea and move on. Its a struggle of wanting the experience and loving those restaurants but not overwhelming yourself at the same time.

I can see why that would be hard...I live in a family of extroverts and we all try to get the worst pictures with anybody. We even saw single traveler at the Studios and "adopted" him for a family pictures in front of ToT.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I can see why that would be hard...I live in a family of extroverts and we all try to get the worst pictures with anybody. We even saw single traveler at the Studios and "adopted" him for a family pictures in front of ToT.
I am totally introvert, but I don't like missing out so I come out of my box per se...

(And now I got the Out of the Box theme song stuck in my head...again.)

LeighM

I usually just play it up and have fun with it. Everybody is there for the good time and I don't think others really notice or care. I get a cringe picture with tinkerbell every trip, because it always looks so out of place...

What's funny is that while I love the Tinker Bell character, when it comes to a meet and greet I'm totally awkward. Seriously, I never know what to say lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom