When is The Muppet Whatnot Workshop coming to WDW?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
See, and I found the Muppets to be extremely worth the $129 price tag. It's definitely a high end item and not something cheap that's going to fall apart quickly. I was impressed with it, actually.

bgraham34

The way the article reads has me scratching my head. From the way it was written it implies that the plaintiff thinks that they are there already. I am wondering if this is just a misquote or if the guy is that misinformed.

You would be amazed how often that is the case with lawsuits. We knew someone who claimed to have fallen in an office building and broke their leg and arm. They said they slipped in the lobby. Turns out the office building was still under construction at the time and was not due to open up for another month.

Slowjack

See, and I found the Muppets to be extremely worth the $129 price tag. It's definitely a high end item and not something cheap that's going to fall apart quickly. I was impressed with it, actually.
"Extremely" worth it? Now I know why things seem to cost too much--there are people who think the same things cost too little:).

Seriously, I've never seen these things in person, so who knows. But here's the way I look at it. Is this something for children to actually play with? If so, then $130 is way too much, I don't care if it's engineered to survive near-misses from nuclear arms. If you buy your six-year-old a $130 puppet, where does that end? When she turns sixteen you'll have to get Prince to play at her birthday party. Now, if it's not intended for actual use, but as some kind of collectible, then cost isn't really the issue, but in that case it doesn't matter how long it lasts.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
"Extremely" worth it? Now I know why things seem to cost too much--there are people who think the same things cost too little:).

Seriously, I've never seen these things in person, so who knows. But here's the way I look at it. Is this something for children to actually play with? If so, then $130 is way too much, I don't care if it's engineered to survive near-misses from nuclear arms. If you buy your six-year-old a $130 puppet, where does that end? When she turns sixteen you'll have to get Prince to play at her birthday party. Now, if it's not intended for actual use, but as some kind of collectible, then cost isn't really the issue, but in that case it doesn't matter how long it lasts.
I have had my hands on one and they are a good quality item from a construction standpoint but they are really like any other niche collectible item. If you are a fair to a moderate Muppet fan then they will be worth $130 to you. If not they won't. Simple as that. It is no different than someone dropping $200 on a high end football jersey or $150 on a Disney Big figure. If it is what you are into the value and quality is there.

AEfx

This is no snarky comment, I promise you (because my answer personally would be no), but, do you have kids?

If you have a little girl, you've undoubtedly heard of "American Girl", these ridiculously overpriced dolls that are all the rage. Dolls are $100, outfits are $25-50+, new ones for every season, and you can even get them beds, dressers, and other furniture for $50-100 or more. Each. (And parents feel "good" about this introduction to consumerism because the dolls come with a little storybook that is "educational".)

If you have boys, priced Legos lately? A set of Legos retails for $70-400, and that's when you can get them in the stores. They seem to have limited runs (they produce so many and stop), so people pay $500-1000+ for a set on Amazon or eBay after they are out. I'm not really interested in Legos, but there is a cool Star Wars Death Star that I'd love to play with, that is in stock everywhere. For only $400. That's the retail price, it's still in production. (They did an old version, which is $1000 if you can find it). Heck, you can get $100 just for a complete, original instruction book for some sets (and these aren't vintage items, all made in the last decade).

Point is, $130 for a special toy isn't insane. When you consider a family has to have some level of disposable income to come to WDW in the first place, it certainly isn't chump change (especially if you have more than one kid), but it's not crazy either. If they could get it down to $95, they'd have a hot seller at WDW.

I keep forgetting to stop by when I am in the city. I really have wanted to pick one up. From the sounds of things who knows how much longer it will continue, will have to make it a priority on my next trip.

majortom1981

hmm

These arent really toys BUT high end puppets. IF you like puppetry then getting one of these will rock. Just do a youtube search and you will find a whole bunch of people doing videos with them.

erasure fan1

This is no snarky comment, I promise you (because my answer personally would be no), but, do you have kids?

If you have a little girl, you've undoubtedly heard of "American Girl", these ridiculously overpriced dolls that are all the rage.

If you have boys, priced Legos lately? A set of Legos retails for $70-400, and that's when you can get them in the stores.

Point is, $130 for a special toy isn't insane. When you consider a family has to have some level of disposable income to come to WDW in the first place, it certainly isn't chump change (especially if you have more than one kid), but it's not crazy either. If they could get it down to $95, they'd have a hot seller at WDW.

Thats all true but like I said earlier the muppets are not main stream enough right now to command that kind of price tag. Now if Disney could pull off a miracle and bring them back to their former glory, my opinion would undoubtedly change.

AEfx

Thats all true but like I said earlier the muppets are not main stream enough right now to command that kind of price tag. Now if Disney could pull off a miracle and bring them back to their former glory, my opinion would undoubtedly change.

There are very high hopes of the Muppets returning to just that with the new film. Disney has finally stopped trying to make them Disney characters and Jason Segel has a true love for the original spirit of the characters. It seems like he might just be able to pull off the real comeback we've all been waiting for since Disney bought them.

erasure fan1

There are very high hopes of the Muppets returning to just that with the new film. Disney has finally stopped trying to make them Disney characters and Jason Segel has a true love for the original spirit of the characters. It seems like he might just be able to pull off the real comeback we've all been waiting for since Disney bought them.

I sure hope so, Ive been waiting so long for someone to actually put in a class A effort and give it the respect the muppets deserve. I cant wait for the trailer to get an idea of the quality.

plutoismyhero

I cannot agree more! I really think he is brilliant and like you said disney finding someone who is true to muppets is exactly what was needed
IM SO PUMPED FOR THE MOVIE

Slowjack

If you have a little girl, you've undoubtedly heard of "American Girl", these ridiculously overpriced dolls that are all the rage. Dolls are $100, outfits are $25-50+, new ones for every season, and you can even get them beds, dressers, and other furniture for $50-100 or more. Each. (And parents feel "good" about this introduction to consumerism because the dolls come with a little storybook that is "educational".)

I do indeed have a little girl. Whether these things would sell in WDW, I don't know, maybe they would. I was questioning whether they were worth it, or "extremely" worth it. I mean, you're comparing them to American Girls, and I understand your point, but note that you call them ridiculously overpriced. If the Whatnots are priced like the American Girl dolls, and the American Girl dolls are ridiculously overpriced, then aren't the Whatnots ridiculously overpriced? I agree that things that are ridiculously overpriced can sell, I just think it's odd when people seem happy to buy something that's ridiculously overpriced, or claim that it's not overpriced. Obviously people can make their own buying decisions, but I think someone who pays $130 for a toy for a child is making a mistake. Again, as a collectible for themselves, that may be different.

AEfx

If the Whatnots are priced like the American Girl dolls, and the American Girl dolls are ridiculously overpriced, then aren't the Whatnots ridiculously overpriced? I agree that things that are ridiculously overpriced can sell, I just think it's odd when people seem happy to buy something that's ridiculously overpriced, or claim that it's not overpriced. Obviously people can make their own buying decisions, but I think someone who pays $130 for a toy for a child is making a mistake. Again, as a collectible for themselves, that may be different.

The point is, yes, to me they are ridiculously overpriced (American Girl stuff, Legos), but to parents they don't seem to be as both are in great demand. And it's those same parents that would need to be sold on this.

For me it would obviously be a collectable - but like I said, if they got the price down to, say, $95, I think they'd sell like hot cakes.

Dwarful

As a parent, if it was something my daughter was really interested in (before arriving to WDW) and that was what she decided to buy with her WDW money then I would be fine with that. Each of our girls has an American Girl Doll that they have played with for years...those dolls have gone on numerous trips with us over the years. My girls never really got into Barbies...but for the # of years our girls have played with their AGDolls I don't really think they were that bad. $150 a doll over 10 years is still cheaper than Barbies. I'd rather buy one nice item than 10 cheap things.
For us, more isn't better.

flavious27

I have seen a couple and they are really cool but, like many cool things, they do fetch a hefty price tag...around $100 or more. To make it work in WDW they would have to get that price point down to about the $50 range. Most parents are not going to throw down $100+ making a Muppet for their each of their kids.

True but look at the prices for ridemakerz, the prices range from $35 to $137 for a mcqueen car, with most parents coming close to three digits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom