When Disney is going to open a new park?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Not tomorrow.

Sometime around 2007 would be my best guess, since on average parks are coming every 7 years or so.

MrPromey

Originally posted by temmy3000
Do you know something about that?

I think that some kind of land construction for the one in Hong Kong is already underway. I'm not sure about the date it will open though. :D

ucf disneyfan

They don't need a new park. First they need to build up their already existing parks. Many people complain that Epcot and Animal Kingdom don't have enough rides.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I feel Epcot is always a work in progress.....
But They really need to finish AK and make it better... if and when before they break ground for a new park in Lake Buena Vista :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by ucf disneyfan
They don't need a new park. First they need to build up their already existing parks. Many people complain that Epcot and Animal Kingdom don't have enough rides.

I couldn't agree more..another park means the other 4 have to wait for new rides as all the new ideas go to a new park.

temmy3000

Original Poster
So, what about build a park with lots of roller coaster, all villains roller coasters or thrilling rides!! Villains Kingdom!!! :cool:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by temmy3000
So, what about build a park with lots of roller coaster, all villains roller coasters or thrilling rides!! Villains Kingdom!!! :cool:

well... I feel if you throw in a bunch of coasters and all the other carny ride crap.....its takes away from the "disney magic"...and gives it that "six flags" feel...for lack of a better term :)

WDWSwashbuckler

exactly, as much as I love thrill rides, it's just not "disney" to throw those in just for kicks without having some kind of reason or great theming behind it.

Sherm00

I am not against roller coasters but I am not a thrill ride seeker either. I think if they do a coaster well like RnRC in MGM then yes that would be ok. like an inverted coaster that makes you feel like your swining in the jungle with tarzan would be ok in animal kingdom as long as it remains hidden to the average guest so you don't see it untill you are on it. I don't like thrill rides, but I have to face facts, the majority of people out there love them and I believe if disney dose a roller coaster to apease that segment of the population. but it has to be done in such a way as to not detract from the park. take IOA for example. it's mostly thrill rides. thats why my wife and I did the entire park in under 4 hours. we simply couldn't ride half of the rides in there. yet I can go into animal kingdom and be able to ride every ride. a few minor drops don't bother me or one quick drop I can deal with. but big coasters I can't do. IOA has too much of a great adventure feel with the coasters being out in the open. now if disney took and dug down and actually put the coaster into a hole or indoors with only parts going around and turn it into a roller coaster/dark ride where the average guest would hear that roller coaster noise and wouldn't be able to see it I think it would fit nicely while brining more people to the parks, but 1 or 2 coasters fine THATS IT. and you forget that space mountain, BTMRR, and the matahorn in disneyland are all coasters. since then they just gotten bigger. just hit me another idea. put a mount everest coaster in animal kingdom. where all you see is a big mountain range while the BIG drops and some loops would be inside only parts of the coaster would be themed for outside, you would never be able to tell it was a coaster. still I would never ride it. but I know a few people in my family that would, and at least at disney us non coaster people can do something else while the coaster people can ride the coaster. at IOA you did the ride but there wasn't much else in any area that you could do.

MrPromey

Originally posted by Sherm00
I am not against roller coasters but I am not a thrill ride seeker either. I think if they do a coaster well like RnRC in MGM then yes that would be ok. like an inverted coaster that makes you feel like your swining in the jungle with tarzan would be ok in animal kingdom as long as it remains hidden to the average guest so you don't see it untill you are on it. I don't like thrill rides, but I have to face facts, the majority of people out there love them and I believe if disney dose a roller coaster to apease that segment of the population. but it has to be done in such a way as to not detract from the park. take IOA for example. it's mostly thrill rides. thats why my wife and I did the entire park in under 4 hours. we simply couldn't ride half of the rides in there. yet I can go into animal kingdom and be able to ride every ride. a few minor drops don't bother me or one quick drop I can deal with. but big coasters I can't do. IOA has too much of a great adventure feel with the coasters being out in the open. now if disney took and dug down and actually put the coaster into a hole or indoors with only parts going around and turn it into a roller coaster/dark ride where the average guest would hear that roller coaster noise and wouldn't be able to see it I think it would fit nicely while brining more people to the parks, but 1 or 2 coasters fine THATS IT. and you forget that space mountain, BTMRR, and the matahorn in disneyland are all coasters. since then they just gotten bigger. just hit me another idea. put a mount everest coaster in animal kingdom. where all you see is a big mountain range while the BIG drops and some loops would be inside only parts of the coaster would be themed for outside, you would never be able to tell it was a coaster. still I would never ride it. but I know a few people in my family that would, and at least at disney us non coaster people can do something else while the coaster people can ride the coaster. at IOA you did the ride but there wasn't much else in any area that you could do.

You make a very, very good point that I’ve been trying to express for a while without luck. It isn’t the coasters themselves but the way they are presented that is the problem. That’s exactly the problem I have with IOA. Most young people and thrill seekers who are down on Disney don’t seem to get it that compared to a normal Disney E-ticket attraction, rides like the Hulk are CHEAP. Most steel coasters cost well under $15 million to have designed and constructed from beginning to end by a company like B&M. In some rare cases, they are more like Millennium force at Cedar point that rang in at nearly $30 but that is incredibly rare and would still be incredibly cheap for a new e-ticket attraction at WDW. Why is the Hulk outdoors? Is it to enhance the thrill? Did they decide to place it out there like a second rate amusement park to enhance the effect of the ride? Of course not. It’s was outside because erecting a building around the bulk of that track would have more than doubled the cost of the attraction. Any theme that they might have added inside the building would have added even more to the cost. That’s why you don’t see many coasters inside buildings anywhere in the world. Disney doesn’t do big outdoor coasters because Disney’s cheap, it’s because to some degree, Disney is of a quality above that sort of thing. If they can hide the thing and theme it reasonably well, I have no problem with coasters but as for the ones you see at IOA, I’m guessing that many people in the US could save themselves the expensive airfare and hotel stay by going to an amusement park with something similar. Again, if they can blend it into the theme of the area of the park it’s in and give the actual ride legitimate theme as they have with similar attractions, I’m all for it. :)

RobFL

Account Suspended
Sometimes you are the biggest bunch of pompus windbags I have ever encountered.

You make broad statements based wholely on your opinion and try to present it as fact.

First off, not a single one of you is a designer or a CFO of any major themed design company, so for you to make statements about prices and thrift is ridiculous. You have no basis for your statements, and to just point something out.. Hulk was created by B&M, the biggest of the big names in coasters. Additionally, it was specially designed for the park. Then, proving you wrong again, it uses a launch system unlike any other in the world designed specifically for it. It even has its own generators so that Orlando doesn't brown out every time it launches. Yet, to you, it's cheap.

Why are coasters in plain sight? Perhaps because the general public does not consider it to be an eyesore. Most people want to watch roller coasters zooming about, even the nonriders. People take pictures by the hundreds every day of the visible sections of a coaster. People enjoy it. Why take it away because you don't think it fits thematicly?

Who are you to say what is proper for theme? Have you studied theme in terms of architectural and enviromental design? Themed design is so much more than "you should never see the ride track" just as much as photography is more than "always center the subject" and art is more than "always use paint."

As a matter of fact, in all three of those statements, it is consdiered by the artists to be limitting and at times entirely the wrong direction to take. If you have a ride system that will leave the guest intrigued by its function, then why not showcase it? Why not paint it dazzling colors and have it careen through the landscape around the guest engrossing them?

Perhaps because your theme is one of pleasentry and warm fuzzy slow moving clouds. Then, perhaps you ought not. In the case of the Hulk, the area is ment to be loud and boisterous, full of chaos, fast moving, intense. It fits perfectly.

Now.. moving to the subject of "nothing to do besides rides." How hard did you look? I spent the day there last weekend and only did three attractions in the entire park and got a full day of it. No, I did not wait in any long lines either.

I went on Cat in the Hat, then proceeded to wander through "If I ran the zoo," past the Zax bypass, listened to a whispermaphone about Truffula Trees, sun bathed on the Sneech Beach, and made sure to toss a few coins in a fishes mouth at McEllegiots pool - a refreshing surprise.

Then, I ventured into Poseidons Fury. Afterward, I wandered about Mythos and examined the statues and the lakeside view, got myself a drink at the Enchanted oak's Alchemy Bar (non aalcoholic for those wondering), saw Merlin running about, talked shop with blacksmith, tried to flip a rat into a cauldron, and then got a palm reading while my best friend bought herself a headdress.

Oh, then we went to Jurassic Park. We watched the splash down of the River Adventure breifly, not riding, and then explored the Discovery Center, detoured to pet a real live Triceratops, and then spent over an hour and a half in Camp Jurassic climbing rope bridges, exploring dark amber mine caves, and just mindlessly wandering about taking it all in.

I feel a bit long winded.. but I'm not embellishing and merely stating each item as encountered. There's obviously more than enough to do at each.

There's still two Islands left to explore, which I did, but I have a feeling you never gave them a chance.

-Rob

RobFL

Account Suspended
Oh yeah, just to clarify, the first satements are meant as a hook, not direct insults. I love you guys, even if you sometimes venture way off base - in my opinion of course.

Sometimes I just think you guys don't give credit where credit is due for designers, because its not specifically what you wanted or expected, and it leaves me feeling exasperated - or however its spelled.

-Rob

dxwwf3

I agree with RobFL to a point. I think that the themeing at IOA is the best you will see outside of a Disney park. It's themeing is better than Sea World, better than Bush Gardens, and certainly better than any Six Flags. And there are alot of little things that can be done at IOA but I don't think they really are that great (like JP Discovery Center and Triceratops Encounter come to mind).

Now on the other end in a perfect world the Hulk would probably have better themeing (just imagine what kind of effects could be done in the launch tunnel with "lasers" and fog effects. I would like it so much better if you couldn't see out of the tunnel until you get to the very end (use the same type thing as Test Track) but I guess that is wishful thinking). And I believe that eveything that is desirable to see at IOA can be seen in about 4 hours if you get there at the opening. I myself have seen IOA on my most recent trip in 3 hours and 35 min. I skipped Poseidons Fury or it probably would have been a little over 4 hours. So while the all of the attractions are extrememely wonderful, IOA still isnt a full day park the same way the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and MGM are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom