When did you first realize your love affair with Disney?

westie

Disney was a great love from birth but, was lost in my teens. When I met my wife we talked of Disney joy and later went there on a weekend jaunt. A year later we returned and I proposed at the Blue Bayou(DL). Received a standing ovation. A year later we returned to get married. We did the "Little Souvenir" before it was cool. So, its been a blessed Disney love affair so far for the 3 of us.:sohappy:

ellekae

I went every year as a kid, and loved it, but I don't think that I viewed it as great as I do, or had as much admiration and respect for the company, and how they run a place like that, until I did my College Program this past spring. It's always been an amazing place, and I loved going, but now my opinion is totally different, and for the better!

omahadisneyfan

Original Poster
It's been interesting reading the responses. How cool is it to see the generational interest. Disney has evolved into the vision that Walt envisioned. What a great man.

Dagger

I always loved Disney as most kids do, especially when you grow up getting to go on a regular basis....but when I went in 1999 as an 18 year old and was the most excited person to be there in the entire family, I realized it was different for me.

I think the proof is in that we're going there on our honeymoon whereas we're already parents so you'd think we'd be going somewhere more adult oriented to actually get a real break...

:sohappy:

abug'saunt

May 28th, 2003. My 1st day in the MK as well as my 10th wedding anniversary. Two things I never dreamt would happen, happened simultaneously and shared with my Mom, Sister, and then 2 year old neice. Oh, I'd been to Disneyland many times prior, but WOW. My wonderful husband is taking us back in May 2007, and yes it'll be for our 14th anniversary. This time we're going with my father-in-law as well as mom, sis, and now 6 yr old neice.

GrandFloridian1

I first realized my love affair with Disney when I stopped telling my co-workers where I was going on vacation. I'm sick of hearing: "there are other places in the world to visit ya know". They just don't understand. As with my beautiful Jeep, the saying goes "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"! So, while they're all sitting at their desks clicking away with40 degree temps outside I'll be in the most magical place on earth with others who share the same dream. Bon Voyage :wave:

mickeysmom

Since I was little and watched MMC and World of Disney Movies. Then when my son and I made our first trip to WDW in 93 and stayed on property. We both fell for WDW Next May will be our 5th trip and my 55 Bday so can't wait.:lol:

I didn't get the pleasure of visiting wdw as a little kid, in fact my first trip didn't happen until i was about 20. My boyfriend-now husband took me, and when asked how i felt about my first trip there is a very distinct feeling i remember. I always remember the first time i saw that beautiful castle, and I immediately felt like a 5 year old little girl. i felt wide eyed and young. Even thinking about it now, i can still recall that exact feeling. My first trip was in 1999, and the following year my now husband got down on one knee and proposed to me on the left hand walkway leading up to that oh so beautiful castle. we celebrated our honeymoon there at the wilderness lodge, and have been back every year since-sometimes twice. we have become disney vacation members, have taken both of our families, some friends next year, and will be celebrating our daughters 3rd birthday this year in december. Next year at halloween will be our new son's first trip, which will sure to be the first of many to come. As someone said in an earlier post it is most definitely a wdw thing!!!:sohappy:

PintoColvig

Though I'd been several times stretching back to the 70s, it wasn't until I saw Fantasia in the theater that Walt Disney was something special. I began to study his life and his visionary ways. It led me to see how special the themeparks were. The rest, they say, is history.
:king:

Aurora_25

I'm not in love with Disney....Just because we have a monorail all around the office, almost all the precious moments figurines that Disney has authorized, a DVC membership, the Disney Visa, and both kids rooms decorated in Princesses or Buzz Lightyear, there is no reason to think that I love Disney.....:lookaroun :lookaroun

tecowdw

September 1993.
My first visit to Walt Disney World as an adult (and only my second time at all), staying off-site. The sun was setting as the MK ferry pulled into the TTC after a day at the Magic Kingdom. I saw a person sitting on the balcony at the Polynesian reading a paper. The tiki torches were lit and it looked so relaxing and peaceful. ~ and dare I say, high end.

My dream began that moment and I knew someday I would stay there. All these years later, and countless visits, I have stayed at the Polynesian multiple times and my obsession with WDW has only grown since then.

MommytoMJM

I've always loved Disney, but my love affair with WDW began on this day:

Turtle Talk 3-18-05
This happened the weekend after we got our AP's

I am not sure who this shout out goes to...so I hope he gets to read it some day...

Some background....MJ is almost 4.5 but has the language skills of around an 18 mo (single words only, limited vocabulary, etc) the other thing that is important to know for this story is that MJ wants desperately to fit in, especially with other kids, so she is a real mimic.

So we enter in to Turtle Talk with Crush...all of the kids move down front and MJ wants to follow, I am nervous about this, but let her since she is still pretty close. Crush comes out and starts the show, MJ is enthralled, I find it charming......then Crush gets to the Q and A part of the show and I hear the words "ok, all of you little Dudes and Dudette's who have a question for me, raise your hand" just as I cringe I see MJ's hand shoot up and I see Crush fixate on her.....

"Yes, the little dudette, in the blue shell, sublevel......"

The host moves over to her as Andrew and I frantically try to signal to Crush or the host and we finally just have to yell out...

"Crush, she can't talk"

In the most amazing feat of thinking on his fins he places his fins to his head and says....

"That is ok, I have been practicing my ESP with Dory and I will just pull her question out of her mind...." he closes his eyes and thinks for a minute and says..."MJ wants to know, what do turtles eat...good question MJ!"

I of course at this point dissolve into tears as I realize that WDW is going to be the one place that MJ is actually treated like a real, normal, little girl.

I am not sure what we would do without WDW, it really is our only happy place...
Follow Up to Turtle Talk....
Fast forward a year or so. We went to Epcot with some friends of ours (Maddie and Miriam) and went to the Living Seas. While we were waiting for Turtle Talk we were letting MJ do the KidCot coloring station and talking to some of the CM's; typical stuff, how do you like the park, are you enjoying your stay, etc...Of course the talk strayed to Turtle Talk and how MJ liked it, we said she loved it, but said she often got frustrated because she wanted to talk to Crush but because of her autism she spoke very slowly and needed me to translate for her and there just wasn't enough time for that in the show. The guy we were talking to told us to hang out for a bit. When he came back he told us to come back for the last show. So we went out and enjoyed the Flower and Garden Festival for a few hours and at the appointed time went back to the Living Seas They took us in a back way because the crowds were very bad and they were freaking MJ out a little, he told us to just hang out after the show. Once everyone left Crush came out and talked to MJ alone for a good 10-15 minutes. MJ was just awestruck at being able to do this and I was so grateful to the Cast for making it possible for MJ to talk to Crush. You all made our little girl very happy, she still *talks* about it to this day.

Bonny, excellent and righteous post. Glad MJ had such a good time! Disney works in mysterious ways!

P.S. - you are an excellent story teller - perhaps you would consider writing a book?

Amy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom