When did you first realize your love affair with Disney?

JCorduroy

I grew up with my grandparents who were pretty conservative, and their main allowance of entertainment for me was the Disney channel - back when it was good in the 80's. :) We went to the parks for the first time when I was 6 (1985) and I was terrified...it was so much, all at once, I just couldn't process it all. I was a mess, I relaly didn't want to be there, until Donald (my favorite character at the time) saw me crying and walked over to me, gave me a hug, and took me by the hand to go meet Mickey and Minnie. I was hooked from there on out, for quite a while.

Unfortunately, as it happens in life, I became a teenager and 'outgrew' my Disney love. I hated it - too childish, didn't want to be there...but, in December of 96, the girl I was dating at the time in High School, her parents got a suite at the Polynesian and tickets to Mickeys Very Merry (at leat, I think it was MVMCP at that point in time). We went, and I had a blast - it was everything I remembered, except I appreciated so much more this go around. I wasn't able to go again until 2003 when my wife and I were given annual passes by my In-Laws - and we've been going at least once a month ever since! :)

DiPSU224

I always knew it was a special place since my first visit in 1988. I would always get so excited when my favorite shows would "vacation" at WDW. But, my absolute love/obsession didn't begin until August 2003. Out of nowhere I became obsessed with planning the trip and when we left all I could think about was this wonderful place. That's when I began visiting here everyday.

It's always been a special place for my husband and I. Since we were apart for the 5 years before our marriage (and still are, thanks to the wonderful process of immigration) our trips became something special to us, a part of our love story and a special way to spend the little time we had together. I love the sounds, smells, and general atmosphere of everything on property. I love the way I feel when I see the castle for the first time each trip, when I get a picture with Mickey or wait in line for the ToT. Simply put, I love the way WDW makes me feel :)

It's a Growing Passion...

When I was somewhere around 5 years old I remember looking forward to watching "The Wonderful World of Disney" with my family in our living room every Sunday night.:sohappy:

Then 25 years ago, WDW is where my wife and I enjoyed our own magical honeymoon. :kiss:

As our own family grew. we took our kids to WDW whenever we could afford it. Now, as my children begin their college days, I look back and say that Disney has always been a part of our lives. I think so much so, that we are taking the next step by buying into the DVC.:rolleyes:

My wife and I look forward to the days (AFTER COLLEGE) when we can book a three bedroom villa over Thanksgiving, and I can run the parks once again with a whole new generation of kids. The only difference is that at the end of the day, our kids can put their kids to bed:snore: ...and then Mom and I can go out on the town.:king:

Steamboat_Kevin

After my second time there.

The first time I went, I loved it. But there was something even better about the second time that made me love it even more (And it also got me to join this message board :D)

mdjbenkert

My love affair for Disney began, like most other posters, at a young age. My first trip to the WORLD was at age 8 (now 30). My grandparents were the typical "snow birds", lived in Michigan during the summers and Florida during the winters. We would head down every year to visit them and take a few days to enjoy MK, but never stayed on property.

Our first stay was in 1996, we took our Boy Scout Troop for a week, and stayed at the Camp Grounds at FW, and had a blast! That next year, my folks and I retuned with my girlfriend (now wife) She enjoyed, but did not really "get" the magic. It was not until our 5th wedding anniversary (May 2005) that she truly experienced the magic! Watching her expressions at seeing the castle and enjoying Disney for a week was pure joy. We are now DVC members and go back several times a year.

PintoColvig

Follow Up to Turtle Talk....
Fast forward a year or so. We went to Epcot with some friends of ours (Maddie and Miriam) and went to the Living Seas. While we were waiting for Turtle Talk we were letting MJ do the KidCot coloring station and talking to some of the CM's; typical stuff, how do you like the park, are you enjoying your stay, etc...Of course the talk strayed to Turtle Talk and how MJ liked it, we said she loved it, but said she often got frustrated because she wanted to talk to Crush but because of her autism she spoke very slowly and needed me to translate for her and there just wasn't enough time for that in the show. The guy we were talking to told us to hang out for a bit. When he came back he told us to come back for the last show. So we went out and enjoyed the Flower and Garden Festival for a few hours and at the appointed time went back to the Living Seas They took us in a back way because the crowds were very bad and they were freaking MJ out a little, he told us to just hang out after the show. Once everyone left Crush came out and talked to MJ alone for a good 10-15 minutes. MJ was just awestruck at being able to do this and I was so grateful to the Cast for making it possible for MJ to talk to Crush. You all made our little girl very happy, she still *talks* about it to this day.

Wow! You brought a tear to my eye (a very hard thing to do!) Your story is a snapshot of what makes Disney what it is and why the CMs are a special group of people. Go Disney! :sohappy:

iluvpluto

Wow, MommytoMJM, if I wasn't already in love with Disney, your story sure would've made it happen. That is just an incredible story. Your daughter was so blessed.

I'm not sure when my love affair started, but I know I was pretty young. We didn't go very often when we were younger so, for me, that made it even more special. Just the feeling of walking down Main Street for the first time. The first time I went to Epcot and saw Spaceship Earth. Everytime I went, I just fell in love even more.

Imaginationeer

I have to say i was born into it. My mother went to disney when she was 6 months pregnant with me, what was then only her fourth time there. Here we are 55 trips, a house in orlando, and $100,000 worth of pins later.

PS 55 trips were before we purchased the house!

wedway71

The first time I realized my love affair with Disney was when I was 16(35 now).I was at WDW the first year it opened in 1971 and have always liked Disney to that point.It didnt really hit me that I loved Disney until I was a sophomore in HS and we had to do a report on what we wanted to do as a career.We had to figure out what made us happy and what we truly enjoyed in life to base that on what kind of career I wanted to do when older.I was sitting on my couch for hours thinking of what I loved in life and was clueless until I was flicking through the tv channels and stumbled across the Disney Channel which was airing a WDW special and then BOOM!!!!!! It hit me like a bus head on-I love Disney and from that point on in my life I knew Disney would be a major part of my life and to this day it still is.

Its kinda of funny that for me its almost like a religous experience loving the magic of Disney-just like in religion you truly believe or you dont but usually it takes something to smack you upside of your head to do so and when it does your hooked for life.

DisneyBride94

I've loved it since my first trip in 1976 as a kid...but my love affair began when my husband and I went there on our honeymoon in 1994.... He had never been.... and Disney is never so good as when you spend it with the one you love most. :)

He is the happiest person on Earth when we are there... :) How can you not love Disney when it's like that?

saltmom1

I....am not....obsessed. I ...am not... obsessed.I....am not.... obsessed. Nobody else believes that, though.:brick:

I did not go to WDW unti my daughter was 4. I always thought of it as a big carnival. When my inlaws told us they were taking our family I wasn't looking forward to it. I'll go for my daughter.
We walked into MK just as they put up the rope for the parade and got a front row seat. My husband said it was more fun watching my face than my daughter's. I was in total awe. I shot an entire row of film on the first 15 minutes of the parade.
Now I get the "there are other places to go besides WDW."
Maybe in their world.........:animwink:

DisneyLindz

The first time i peered down Main Street USA and saw Cinderella Castle.....I was 6 years old...:)

Ok, when I was glancing through all the answers I thought it said "the first time I peed down Main Street USA".... and i thought to myself, ok that could be a special moment in one's life, maybe they were so excited they peed all the way down the street. After reading it more carefully, I realized my mistake. :lol:

davinakb

Now I get the "there are other places to go besides WDW." Maybe in their world.........:animwink:
I just posted that somewhere else, that no I'm not getting tired of Disney!

My first trip to WDW was about 10 years, I was in my mid-20s. I had that "kid on Christmas morning" feeling, and have been enjoying a great second childhood ever since. When I went back with my sister, on her first trip, all she could say was "Next time we come, we'll..." and I knew she too was hooked.

WDW is the ultimate escape from reality. You get to enjoy the sun, beautiful parks, great dining, etc. and have a great time. All that "Happiest Place on Earth" stuff may sound a little cheesy, but it's not; it's true.

On a warm august day in 1986....there I was just me and disney, laying on the grass looking up at the stars and the monorail overhead. That night, one thing led to another and....well...things happend. The next morning we awoke and disney said it loved me and would call me tomorrow. But alas, he never called. And that is the short quick story of my disney love affair.:hammer:

About 2 years ago we wanted to do a cruise and had gone to DL the year before so figured why not a Disney cruise. Well we did a 4day sea/3land and I just realized those 3 days were not enough. So went back 5 mos later did 8 days at WDW and still havent had enough. Which is why we try to go once (or twice) a year!:king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom