Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Toni led me right to Club Cool where I have notoriously fooled them many times with the "Beverly" trick.

_DSC3387-X2.jpg

_DSC3379-X2.jpg

She knew one of the sodas was "ickey" but couldn't remember which one.

_DSC3382-X2.jpg

Finally found it.

_DSC3381-X2.jpg

She said it wasn't as bad as she remembered.

We never got a photo @Tuvalu purple wall - but I found another one (when it's purple).

_DSC3385-X2.jpg

With Club Cool out of the way, we started making our way to Test track.

_DSC3386-X2.jpg

Test track had been down several times that day so our fast passes where only marginally better than stand-by.

_DSC3388-X2.jpg

In line waiting for Test Track to open.

_DSC3391-X2.jpg

_DSC3392-X2.jpg

Before too long the line started to move and we made our way into the design studio.

_DSC3394-X2.jpg

Interesting looking car Mia - would we be able to test it today?

_DSC3399-X2.jpg

We were pretty close to boarding when the ride shut down once again.

_DSC3401-X2.jpg

Coming up...Did we go 64mph? final moments. Tragical Express.

fractal

Original Poster
No high speed banks for us on our last day. With the clock quickly approaching our Tragical Express pick up time we had to abandon our place in line.

some last, last minute shopping.

_DSC3403-X2.jpg

It was not the best day weather wise as a light rain started as we made our way out of Epcot.

_DSC3405-X2.jpg

_DSC3406-X2.jpg

I did manage to take one more photo of the girls.

_DSC3408-X2.jpg

Before we knew it we were in front of the Yacht Club with our suitcases waiting for our bus. Marina, Yia-Yia, Courtney and Mia were not leaving until the next morning but were sad to see us go.

_DSC3411-X2.jpg

DME is never as much fun going to the airport.

_DSC3412-X2.jpg

The weather outside reflected how we felt.

_DSC3413-X2.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Here's a picture of my daughters in the fancy Mork from Ork chairs at the Beach Club last month. They were grumpy, sweaty (made them walk alllllll the way from Hollywood Studios to the Beach Club in the hot, humid weather) and sad that it was our last day. Also, yes, I told my youngest to remove her feet from the chair (grrrrr, kids sometimes). We did have a great breakfast at Cape May Cafe at least!
View attachment 235325
"mork for ork" - love it! heaven forbid you make them walk!

I'm loving your trip report! Your kids have grown so much since the last one I read (can't remember when it was but your kids were all way smaller than they are now). Your photography is amazing!!! I'm still only on your first day at Disney so I have a ways to go and I'm looking forward to it!
Thanks @Cetta! Yes they grow fast!

Love the photo recreation of you and Toni:inlove:
Thanks! I'm happy I remember it.

I hope I take pictures even half as awesome as yours :) I'm looking forward to using it
You'll have fun with it!

Your recreation shot was amazing! Even a few years on a kid can produce big changes, and the 2017 photo of Toni is delightful, seeing how much she's grown into a young woman.
thanks and yes she is. She got her driver's permit so I've been spending some time in the car with her behind the wheel. It's not always stress-free. :eek:

Finally up to page 24 and I seriously feel like I've spent the day with your family at Disney World! My husband asked me what I did at work today and I said "read an amazing Disney trip report, so I have a lot of work to do tomorrow." I love how you mentioned riding roller coasters at wildwood with your cousin when you were younger. We vacationed there every year growing up until my father passed away. I can't wait to take my son to Tom Sawyer island so I can watch his imagination explode! I have to say...not only are your photos amazing but the way you write is transporting me there with you!
Lol! Don't want to get you in trouble! My parents had a restaurant and motel in Wildwood where I spent most of my youth summers working (and some playing). I could go for a Mack's pizza right now! Thanks for the nice words, your son will love Tom Sawyer island.

So glad you had time to yourself to reflect. I have LOVED reading your TR!!!! Your family is beautiful <3 CHERISH every moment & memory!!! There will be more ... GRANDKIDS ;) My first one is on his way (overdue and anxiously awaiting his arrival). i can't wait to show him my happy place <3 Thank you for sharing your gorgeous photos and family with all of us !!! :)
Thanks @lbrad! Congrats on the upcoming arrival. Wish all the best.

I honestly don't want your trip report to end!! I think you need to just go back every year instead of every other ;)
Thanks @MeeskaMooska0714 ! Not sure I could handle an annual trip! :D

1.21 gigawatts!

Fantastic! You will have to do this again in 2023.
Or sooner! :D

fractal

Original Poster
I got the title of this trip report from one of my (and Toni's) favorite songs from Wreck-it-Ralph; When can I see you again? by Owl City.

Since last Spring every time I played the song I envisioned different potential video clips from our upcoming trip through out the song . At one point I almost committed to focusing solely on video at WDW instead of photos, but that changed especially when Sterg took on the "cinematographer" role. In the end I had plenty of stills and video to work with and spent a fair amount of time putting this together. It's a quick recap of our trip that I'm sure I'll look back on plenty of times and hopefully so will everyone else on the trip! I'm happy to say that @Tuvalu and @TrolleyFollower91 make an appearance.

Now on the Fractal Channel;

When Can We Do This Again?

DznyRktekt

I got the title of this trip report from one of my (and Toni's) favorite songs from Wreck-it-Ralph; When can I see you again? by Owl City.

Since last Spring every time I played the song I envisioned different potential video clips from our upcoming trip through out the song . At one point I almost committed to focusing solely on video at WDW instead of photos, but that changed especially when Sterg took on the "cinematographer" role. In the end I had plenty of stills and video to work with and spent a fair amount of time putting this together. It's a quick recap of our trip that I'm sure I'll look back on plenty of times and hopefully so will everyone else on the trip! I'm happy to say that @Tuvalu and @TrolleyFollower91 make an appearance.

Makes me want to book a trip now! You are a talented gent.

Mamaof5

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the trip report, and the video was just outstanding. I haven't commented this whole time, but have been following to the end. I love pictures and take 2 cameras with me wherever we go. In my family of 7 (my husband and I, and 5 kids) there is no shortage of opportunities to capture memories in photographs. We head to Disney this December and your pictures have just made me even more excited to capture more of those memories for us to look back on (and to capture some pictures of things we've done in the past, now that the kids are 2 years older so that we can compare them). Thanks for sharing your trip, and your photographs, and your memories. I will look back on your trip report many times between now and when we leave, I'm sure! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom