When are all these cutbacks not about COVID anymore?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I made my first trip to Enchanted Rose this weekend (and it was a pretty bad experience, sadly) - and all we could think was - we lost the band for THIS? My friend from California asked that 3 different times. The price point vs. actual execution leaves a lot to be desired. I guess there is enough of the clientele who somehow has the money but no reference point to other places of higher quality (whom I saw - and HEARD while there). But most guests seemed to stop in for one drink and leave quickly. It wasn't a relaxing lounge by any sorts like it used to be.
Grand Floridian has been notoriously “new money” since the day it opened. It’s “themed” to high end but they never put the service in place. But it turns out that really didn’t matter to sell it.

It’s for a segment that says “I’ve made some money...now I’m big stuff. Time for the family to be spoiled and pampered...”
But instead of the George V in Paris or mandarin in Tahiti...they go to an amusement park in Orlando with a choo choo
Stay at a 3 1/2 or 4-star hotel in New York or Chicago, and the Grand looks even more ridiculous.
See above
They always look great because there's always a new way to report the numbers like saying only domestic theme park attendance or combining consumer products with parks and resorts.

That's the true Disney magic.
The Praetorian Guard Just does not believe they use Wall Street accounting spin....it’s like the Nuns from the sound of music are in charge 😳

Last edited:

tirian

Grand Floridian has been notoriously “new money” since the day it opened. It’s “themed” to high end but they never put the service in place. But it runs out that really didn’t matter to sell it.

It’s for a segment that says “I’ve made some money...now I’m big stuff. Time for the family to be spoiled and pampered...”
But instead of the George V in Paris or mandarin in Tahiti...they go to an amusement park in Orlando with a choo choo

See above

The Praetorian Guard Just does not believe they use Wall Street accounting spin....it’s like the Nuna from the sound of music are in charge 😳
The GF has a reputation for attracting wealthy European first-timers who arrive expecting an appropriate resort and are rightly disappointed.

To be fair, for years, Disney did attract higher-end clientele simply by maintaining off seasons and not operating the parks and resorts as if they needed to squeeze out every last cent.

People notice that, and regardless whether they make $50,000 or $50 million/year, nobody likes feeling nickeled and dimed.

tirian

They always look great because there's always a new way to report the numbers like saying only domestic theme park attendance or combining consumer products with parks and resorts.

That's the true Disney magic.
Another trick: hotels are easily booked solid by blocking out rooms.

As theme park fans — and no matter how negative we sound, we’re here because we do love WDW — we’re all familiar with these tactics. Maybe the company will return to the standards and innovation that made us all love the place.

Animaniac93-98

As theme park fans — and no matter how negative we sound, we’re here because we do love WDW — we’re all familiar with these tactics. Maybe the company will return to the standards and innovation that made us all love the place.

DLP is a majority-owned Disney resort that I feel is (mostly) getting better.

Ldno

Wishful thinking, I feel they will play it super safe from now on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DLP is a majority-owned Disney resort that I feel is (mostly) getting better.
It had no where to go but up after 25 years of debt being the only subject.

Orlando is on the opposite trajectory.
Wishful thinking, I feel they will play it super safe from now on.
Oh yeah...it ain’t gonna happen. By and large Americans can’t control themselves. That’s why it works.

Mousse'

I can’t disagree at all. It’s gotten to the point for me though where I’m afraid to go as I don’t want the current experience to taint my previous memories. Not sure how many other folks are getting to that point.

Mr Starky

Why do you believe Disney is anti-American and not family oriented?

I'm not ONLY referring to the Parks. I'm referring to the Corporation as a Whole. Hiding things in their Animated films, broadcasting things on their other owned broadcasting channels, that PUSH ideas and situations that are directly against the Family unit. Apparently, in America now, there's only a right to CHOOSE, if you agree with the position of those pushing a specific ideology. Anyway. I have had to reevaluate MANY things in the last decade or so. Professional sports, Disney to name two. I was born and raised in NY. I left there to start over in life for a few reasons. Mostly related to finances. I now live in SoFlo. Just a few driving hours from WDW. I've been here for just over 6 years. I still haven't stepped into WDW. At the beginning, it was because I couldn't afford it. I have been able for a few years now, but cannot, right now, come to the point where I can reconcile going and spending money there. Where a person spends their money and time, reflects where the heart and mind are. These are my positions, and I don't hold others to them. You asked, and I am responding to the questions.

JoeCamel

I'm not ONLY referring to the Parks. I'm referring to the Corporation as a Whole. Hiding things in their Animated films, broadcasting things on their other owned broadcasting channels, that PUSH ideas and situations that are directly against the Family unit. Apparently, in America now, there's only a right to CHOOSE, if you agree with the position of those pushing a specific ideology. Anyway. I have had to reevaluate MANY things in the last decade or so. Professional sports, Disney to name two. I was born and raised in NY. I left there to start over in life for a few reasons. Mostly related to finances. I now live in SoFlo. Just a few driving hours from WDW. I've been here for just over 6 years. I still haven't stepped into WDW. At the beginning, it was because I couldn't afford it. I have been able for a few years now, but cannot, right now, come to the point where I can reconcile going and spending money there. Where a person spends their money and time, reflects where the heart and mind are. These are my positions, and I don't hold others to them. You asked, and I am responding to the questions.
Buy a boat. That will take care of any ambitions of traveling to WDW for good.

Chi84

Premium Member
You certainly have a right to your opinions, as well as a right to spend your time as you see fit. No question about either of those things. But if you no longer respect the corporation's actions and haven't set foot in WDW for 6 years, why would you follow a site dedicated to all things Disney? I don't mean that in a disrespectful way at all - maybe you have a long history of visiting WDW and are hoping for significant changes? I'm just curious; apologies in advance if you think my question is out of bounds.

GimpYancIent

The Disney company has evolved into a global corporate conglomerate and like a mosaic has a lot of pieces. A lot of product being generated to a lot of audience and some within the organization think the consumers are being subliminally influenced by supposedly hidden "things". Well the hidden are actually obvious, the consumers more discerning and the people within the organization with an agenda that think they are being clever, well they are not. I and my family see Disney as pure entertainment, some harmless escapism, if anything it brings our family closer. If there is an anti-family agenda IT AIN'T WORKING!

Chi84

Premium Member
The Disney company has evolved into a global corporate conglomerate and like a mosaic has a lot of pieces. A lot of product being generated to a lot of audience and some within the organization think the consumers are being subliminally influenced by supposedly hidden "things". Well the hidden are actually obvious, the consumers more discerning and the people within the organization with an agenda that think they are being clever, well they are not. I and my family see Disney as pure entertainment, some harmless escapism, if anything it brings our family closer. If there is an anti-family agenda IT AIN'T WORKING!
I’m more likely to view Disney’s alleged agenda as pro-family but I agree most people consider Disney as nothing more than pure entertainment.

spock8113

All the cut-backs are happening all over America as companies struggle to stay in business and hang on to their stock buy-backs.
This is a huge nationwide and worldwide problem trying to differentiate between real cutbacks and layoffs as opposed to cost-saving cutbacks and layoffs in a very difficult situation.
As COVID gradually subsides, a large part of the formerly full-time employed may not be hired back and left to find multiple part-time jobs.
Part time jobs saves companies cost from providing health care or benefits.
Cut-backs that saved money will probably stay in place. This can be verified by looking at the unemployment numbers and people filing for unemployment. Some states have already run out of the extra few hundred that Trump signed on. All states need unemployment help and states with no state income tax will be hit the hardest because that is money that comes in to help their own unemployed residents.
Florida has no state income tax.

NickMaio

You certainly have a right to your opinions, as well as a right to spend your time as you see fit. No question about either of those things. But if you no longer respect the corporation's actions and haven't set foot in WDW for 6 years, why would you follow a site dedicated to all things Disney? I don't mean that in a disrespectful way at all - maybe you have a long history of visiting WDW and are hoping for significant changes? I'm just curious; apologies in advance if you think my question is out of bounds.
Honestly........we are are all thinking the same....
Why are you here?

FutureCEO

No Christmas party, no snow, no Castle Lights, no Gingerbread houses at resorts....at what point does this not become about COVID and limiting crowds and about Disney becoming extremely cheap in everything that they do. Yes, precautions need to be taken, but its starting not to be about precautions. It's Disney beginning to use this as an excuse to cut every dollar imaginable. Its so sad....I love this place like home and it's turning into a penny pinching monster.

Why spend if there's no guests. Well there is guests but not like normal.

Mr Starky

Your question isn't out of bounds at all. I happen to be home on a rainy day, with not much to do. Thought I would look to see what was happening here. I rarely log in actually. Even now, I was just curious, to see responses, and see if others see what I do. I came upon the origianl question, and on the spur of the moment, decided to throw my POV out. This was once a GREAT Family thing. Now it's a shadow of it's formaer self. It could be great again. But different people would have to be making the big decisions.

Mr Starky

IDK that I would describe it as an ANTI FAMILY AGENDA. It's more of a poorly attempted smearing, of the Family unit, in general.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom