Wheelchair with no DAS

Goofyernmost

They've found something they can enjoy -- WDW, with the accommodations they're being accorded. And nobody called you heartless.
I'll admit wondering what it is about ADHD w/anxiety that makes it so difficult for you to wait in line that you require DAS as an accommodation. We have a DD diagnosed with that, and she does just fine in the lines.
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not sure it's legal to suggest to someone with a disability that they "should come back when it's not as crowded."
That's the accommodation they provide for people who can't wait in long lines. Notice that doesn't apply to folks with mobility issues, as many attractions have been designed with wheelchairs and ECVs in mind.
Almost all of the attractions have queue's big enough to allow wheelchairs and scooters to just get in line just like everyone else. The biggest exception that I found was Smugglers Run. A brand new one and no easy access to it. They didn't make me stand in line, they sent me up an alternate route, on foot w/cane in hand, and I do mean up. It was like climbing a mountain. By the time I got to the actual ride I was about to collapse in exhaustion. I'm not sure how they are getting away with that. There are many that I think would have to bypass it, I know I nearly did and probably should have. I did survive but it had me worried for a little while.

Angel Ariel

People who don’t have DAS would also have to wait 4 hours for those two rides. That’s the point. Even playing field, just one waits in line and one waits outside of line. It’s not meant to be an advantage.
Agreed, but as I pointed out in explaining the Dutch Wonderland system, even though I’m sure to many their system seems as though it is an “advantage,” due to the disabilities of the children with us the enter at the exit/ride 2x in a row allowed us to access the same number of rides as those without disabilities were - not more, just the same. Walking speed, sensory needs, overall stamina, (even with a stroller when necessary), time necessary for food and restrooms, (and more) all take longer than the average neurotypical child their age.

So while something may seem like an advantage, that doesn’t necessarily mean it is in practice.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Agreed, but as I pointed out in explaining the Dutch Wonderland system, even though I’m sure to many their system seems as though it is an “advantage,” due to the disabilities of the children with us the enter at the exit/ride 2x in a row allowed us to access the same number of rides as those without disabilities were - not more, just the same. Walking speed, sensory needs, overall stamina, (even with a stroller when necessary), time necessary for food and restrooms, (and more) all take longer than the average neurotypical child their age.

So while something may seem like an advantage, that doesn’t necessarily mean it is in practice.
Thats my point and what happens when the person truly cant walk that long etc or a child who needs to be entertained etc. There are times people can literally be stuck just basically sitting doing nothing…As i said you can argue it both ways but point being its not some huge advantage when it comes to getting to ride all these extra rides…

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Thats my point and what happens when the person truly cant walk that long etc or a child who needs to be entertained etc. There are times people can literally be stuck just basically sitting doing nothing…As i said you can argue it both ways but point being its not some huge advantage when it comes to getting to ride all these extra rides…

DAS is like Adderall 😂

If you need it, all it does is even things out. If you don’t need it, it gives you a noticeable boost and you get a ton more done in your day.

now i get it keegan-michael key GIF by The Paley Center for Media

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
DAS is like Adderall 😂

If you need it, all it does is even things out. If you don’t need it, it gives you a noticeable boost and you get a ton more done in your day.

now i get it keegan-michael key GIF by The Paley Center for Media
Not sure if you are trolling, being sarcastic or serious or just plain ignorant… either way have fun and hope your enjoying the forums as much as i am

MEM

I know this may be an unpopular opinion in times like these, but I just wonder why personality accountability and common sense isn't considered. If somebody can't handle walking around on their own two feet all day, and/or can't wait in long lines for whatever reason, why don't those people just choose to not go to a theme park all day? Should we made skiing, mountain climbing, or Scuba diving handicap accessible?

I get that parks have done some great things with accessibility, and the ADA law exists, but to me it just doesn't seem to be working out in practicality, and is putting an undo cost on the park and 98% of the guests. I just don't see what part of walking around in a theme park for 12 hours in the heat and riding fast rides makes people think that this would be an experience that all should experience? I don't understand why Disney can't just explain what the experience will be like, and wish people a great time on a cruise ship, at the beach, or at a baseball game if that doesn't sound right for them.

Just my take on the matter.
Wow you must not have any experience with a loved one that is autistic. Maybe you might someday.

MissingDisney

Wow you must not have any experience with a loved one that is autistic. Maybe you might someday.
That post and the poster were from about 2 years ago. Unfortunately there are plenty more recent threads that debate this to a pulp. Fortunately there are also some that have good helpful info too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom