Wheelchair bound guest - help needed

hooters dude

Banned
Original Poster
Hey guys,

wonder if any of you could help? (I'm sure you can)

In October my wife and I are returning to Disney for 3 weeks and are being joined by a friend in a wheelchair for one of them. I'd like him to experience as much of Disney as possible and he's a pretty adventurous kind of guy. He can get himself in and out of his chair by himself which I know is a requirement of the wheelchair friendly attractions.

My question is should he get a guest assistance card or doesn't he need one? We'll be with him on all the attractions but I'm wondering at what stage in the line do we notify a cast member one of our party is in a wheelchair? He hates being a nuisance (he's not) and wants to be treated like anyone else.

We're also taking my buddy to Universal and Sea World and I wondered if anyone knows if there are any special requirements there?

I know you guys will come through with answers, so a big thank you in advance.

:wave:

jessfriends

I wish I could help you but I am not familar with guest assistance cards, I just thought I would bump your post up for you.

I also just wanted to tell you that your trip sounds awesome!!! WDW, Universal & Sea World!!! I have never been to Orlando's Sea World. I hope to make it there someday!

Have a great time!!! :D

My 100th Post!!!!!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
No need for a GAC, being in a wheelchair is obvious. The GAC serves more to identify problems that are not as visible.

Have a great trip!

DDuckFan130

No need for a GAC, being in a wheelchair is obvious. The GAC serves more to identify problems that are not as visible.

Have a great trip!
We got a wheelchair for my grandmother a couple of years ago who can't walk very much and especially not in the heat...she also had heart bypass surgery like 5 months before and we took her when she was just getting back to her old self. We never thought of getting a GAC card but my parents ran into trouble in a few rides at Fantasyland...they wouldn't let her through without the card and no way was she going to wait in line :shrug:

To the OP: I'm sure someone else can answer the question better, but I would guess you can go to guest relations and ask them about it. Have a wonderful trip!!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
A few hard and fast rules:

When to ask?

Before getting in line - always. Even if it's obvious or you've done it before, asking is always the best route to go. A CM should be somewhere near the entrance to the line. Some lines look accessible but have stairs at some point or squeeze down to tiny rows just before the loading area.

The Guidebook for Guests with Dissabilities can be gotten from Guest Relations at the parks and will detail the majority of attraction (excluding ones not operating since they last publihed it). You can even call Disney now and request they send a copy to your party. It's free and handy.

A biggie on the "must be ambulatory" (as in, must be able to walk) in the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. It's a popular attraction, but there's not a feasible way to get a WC up to the loading platform, it just wasn't designed that way.

hooters dude

Banned
Original Poster
Thanks guys for all your help and good wishes for the trip :wave:

The Guidebook for Guests with Dissabilities can be gotten from Guest Relations at the parks and will detail the majority of attraction (excluding ones not operating since they last publihed it). You can even call Disney now and request they send a copy to your party. It's free and handy.

Thanks mousemerf, sorry to be a pain but do you know if there's anyone at Disney we can email to send us this booklet? I live in the UK so a phone call would be expensive and it sounds just what we're after! Otherwise, we'll collect one from the parks, thanks again.

Captain Hank

I would definately get one. Depending on the attraction, you might not need to show it (though I would anyway) but it would be better to have it than to not.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thanks guys for all your help and good wishes for the trip :wave:

Thanks mousemerf, sorry to be a pain but do you know if there's anyone at Disney we can email to send us this booklet? I live in the UK so a phone call would be expensive and it sounds just what we're after! Otherwise, we'll collect one from the parks, thanks again.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/Plain?id=PlainHomePage

I believe this is exactly what you are looking for. :wave:

abe

I was just going to post a link to the online version of the guidebook when I saw unkadug had posted it. Here's a link for the e-mail address.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQGuestsWithDisabilitiesPage

I am confined to a wheelchair and have visied the various Disney parks dozens of times. I have never used a GAC. I use the general que when available. I've always found the CMs very helpful in directing me to an accessible que area if the general que was not accessible.

I hope you all have a magical time.

jiminy.cricket

I would go to Guest Relations, explain the situation and get a Guest Assistance Card just in case; you never know when you're going to need it, and you can choose not to use it! Realizing you need it later and going all the way back to Guest Relations would be a pain.

PaisleyMF

If your guest is use to move long distance then you wont have problems. If not i will suggest an ECV or a scooter. Remember this are big parks and long distances.

AS for Universal and Sea World u may need to contact them directly since they may have different way to handle Guest with Disabilities.

dopeylove

Definitely get a guest assistance pass. Also, Sea World will offer a 50% discount on a ticket to anyone with a disability and a companion.

hooters dude

Banned
Original Poster
I was just going to post a link to the online version of the guidebook when I saw unkadug had posted it. Here's a link for the e-mail address.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQGuestsWithDisabilitiesPage

I am confined to a wheelchair and have visied the various Disney parks dozens of times. I have never used a GAC. I use the general que when available. I've always found the CMs very helpful in directing me to an accessible que area if the general que was not accessible.

I hope you all have a magical time.

Thanks abe :wave:

Have emailed Disney and got reply today saying guidebook is in the post. It's great to be part of such a friendly, helpfull community :D

Regards
Darryl

MinnieMommy

Thanks abe :wave:

Have emailed Disney and got reply today saying guidebook is in the post. It's great to be part of such a friendly, helpfull community :D

Regards
Darryl

Sounds like many of your questions have already been answered. I have done WDW twice in my wheelchair. (Just began needing the chair 2 years ago.) I feel Disney makes it very easy to do most everything. I always suggest WDW as a vacation destination for those with special needs. I would suggest you and your friend familiarize yourself with the guidebooks before you go. We found it helpful to be aware ahead of time how loading works at each attraction. Like mousermerf stated above, there should be a host/hostess at the entrance to an attraction. They will show you where you can board. We also took the guide for the park we were visiting with us, just in case. They will come to you in 4 guidebooks. I also suggest visiting allearsnet.com They have a lot of information for guests with special needs of all kinds. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me, I'd be happy to help!

popsicletrees

Just a word of advice. The Jungle Cruise has a handicap entrance to the left side of the entrance for the que. Although the que is flat, a wheelchair cannot make the turns in the line. I had to learn this the hard way on a trip with my grandmother. The handicap entrance is poorly marked, and if there is no CM to direct you (there wasn't in this case), you might accidently overlook the handicap entrance.

hooters dude

Banned
Original Poster
Sounds like many of your questions have already been answered. I have done WDW twice in my wheelchair. (Just began needing the chair 2 years ago.) I feel Disney makes it very easy to do most everything. I always suggest WDW as a vacation destination for those with special needs. I would suggest you and your friend familiarize yourself with the guidebooks before you go. We found it helpful to be aware ahead of time how loading works at each attraction. Like mousermerf stated above, there should be a host/hostess at the entrance to an attraction. They will show you where you can board. We also took the guide for the park we were visiting with us, just in case. They will come to you in 4 guidebooks. I also suggest visiting allearsnet.com They have a lot of information for guests with special needs of all kinds. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me, I'd be happy to help!

Thanks MinnieMommy, was planning on going through the books with my buddy when they arrive. I know Disney really well so hopefully will be able to 'see' everything in the guidebook in my mind. If I have any problems I'll take you up on your offer and pm you, thanks for your help.

Darryl :wave:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Just a word of advice. The Jungle Cruise has a handicap entrance to the left side of the entrance for the que. Although the que is flat, a wheelchair cannot make the turns in the line. I had to learn this the hard way on a trip with my grandmother. The handicap entrance is poorly marked, and if there is no CM to direct you (there wasn't in this case), you might accidently overlook the handicap entrance.

That's one of the many reasons for my general "always ask" rule. 5 minutes spent hunting down a CM can save you from getting stuck in a busy queue you can't get through.

Sometimes they extend the queues and such, and when that happens sometimes it adds an area with steps or tight turns. Always, always ask.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom