What's your experience renting DVC points?

correcaminos

That's my point. If I don't have the budget for a Deluxe, I'd rather go to a moderate than rent DVC points.

On vacation, I do. After a day in the heat and the sweat and the sunscreen, I like to get out of the shower and into some crisp sheets.
Yeah I'm just not wanting brand new sheets. I thought that wasn't done out of conservation now anyway.

I also wouldn't want a moderate vs DVC, but we don't do single rooms much. Big difference to me there and with resort amenities. To each their own.

LUVofDIS

We have tried, but it seems you need to book the DVC rentals a year + out. We are usually seven or so months out because of our jobs. Plus we take other vacations in between Disney stops. I am going to try again this year to rent and I will see how that goes.

Plowboy

We've rented points 3 times (AKL Jambo, SSR, OKW). They were all for studio rentals as it's just Mrs. P & myself. We rented through DVC Rental Store each time and the transactions couldn't have been any better. For us renting a studio, the pricing is roughly equivalent to a moderate. When I factor in that we're able to save a little extra by doing in room breakfast most mornings, it's even a little bit more of a $$$ win.

eliza61nyc

We have tried, but it seems you need to book the DVC rentals a year + out. We are usually seven or so months out because of our jobs. Plus we take other vacations in between Disney stops. I am going to try again this year to rent and I will see how that goes.

???
I've never had to do that. I'm usually around the 7 month mark. full Disclosure: I'm not real picky on resorts. I'm pretty happy with just about any resort so if my first choice isn't available I move on.

Now you maybe right with specific scenarios. for example, if you want to stay at an Epcot resort during food and wine you definitely need to find an owner at BC or Boardwalk. I call that the dvc "golden" time. lol.
If you look at my avatar to the right, that's a picture of me and my 4 gal pals this past April. we were celebrating one of them hitting the 5 year cancer free anniversary.
I booked that trip in January. I got a 2 bedroom at AKL Kidani village.

yaksplat

Renting points for a studio at PVB cost us $38 more per night than a room at the Dolphin. We mainly did it to confirm that we wanted to buy into DVC at the polynesian. We've never changed a plan once we booked. My wife's a teacher, so we already have no flexibility outside of what part of the summer are we going during. The lack of house keeping never bothered us. When we needed more towels, we just asked and had them in a few minutes.

No parking fee for renters is an added bonus.

nolatron

I wouldn't write off a 1BR as not being a cost saver (at least for now). We rented points direct from a DVC member for 6 nights in March 2019 and we're coming out at 50% off Disney's rate. Renting points has always been a cost saver for us. One year we booked a Kidani Studio for the same price of a Pop-Century room I remember. But we also always book privately from a DVC Member.

If you're willing to do a little leg work, consider looking at renting points privately as you can save some money versus using a broker like David's. For example, we booked a Boardwalk 1BR for $15/point instead of David's $17/point rate 11 months out. Saved us about $400.

The lack of room service has never bothered us. We usually do laundry in the room mid-trip so we'll wash towels or anything ourselves with our clothes. I can't ever remember if trash was an issue. I'm guessing not if I can't remember, heh.

I think this will be our 4 or 5th time renting points privately. We've never had an issue and has saved us a good amount.

correcaminos

You cannot book more than 11 months out. If you are booking F&WF through marathon weekend you need to find the owner before the 11 month mark. Especially is doing studios. Other times it will just vary based on room size and such

slappy magoo

You can go on David’s DVC rental website and use their cost calculator to price the room. I’m using it next year and my savings were substantial. You must be able to plan ahead of time though (not a problem for me I’m a bit of a planner). I also took out trip insurance in case something comes up

I would recommend this as well. Your mileage will vary if you were trying to make a private transaction directly with a DVC owner, but if you opt to use David's you'll know exactly what you're in for.

The value in renting is really only for studios and 2 bedrooms. 1 bedrooms are usually a poor value (especially coming up in 2020). In fact one would need to run numbers since points are going up for studios too. 2 bedrooms might become a better deal.

The thing of it is, if you're using DVC points for a 1BR you'll need close to double or maybe even double the points (depending on resort/category) as you would for a studio. But if you're booking the room with cash, a 1BR usually isn't double the cost (or close to double) of a studio. If they're raising the points for studios, I'm going to check out where they reduce the points to balance it all out.

I wouldn't write off a 1BR as not being a cost saver (at least for now). We rented points direct from a DVC member for 6 nights in March 2019 and we're coming out at 50% off Disney's rate. Renting points has always been a cost saver for us. One year we booked a Kidani Studio for the same price of a Pop-Century room I remember. But we also always book privately from a DVC Member.

If you're willing to do a little leg work, consider looking at renting points privately as you can save some money versus using a broker like David's. For example, we booked a Boardwalk 1BR for $15/point instead of David's $17/point rate 11 months out. Saved us about $400.

Yes, if you have an eager DVC owner looking to rent points, a 1BR might be more affordable that way than through David's. But since you have a little more security going through a reputable business like David's than through a private transaction. Which isn't to say "a private transaction will definitely screw you." But if your private transaction is more or less a handshake deal, there is nothing to prevent the owner from canceling the trip, nothing to protect you, no contract. David's has been known to make good on deals gone bad through them.

LUVofDIS

Now you maybe right with specific scenarios. for example, if you want to stay at an Epcot resort during food and wine you definitely need to find an owner at BC or Boardwalk. I call that the dvc "golden" time. lol.

We have been picky, wanting to stay in an EPCOT resort, we should try not being so picky. We will try again this next year.

eliza61nyc

We have been picky, wanting to stay in an EPCOT resort, we should try not being so picky. We will try again this next year.
So if you want the Epcot resort area, you definitely have to ask for a owner who has points there. Remember this is one of the most popular areas, they go fast.

Truthfully though, I think all the resorts have their charm and appeal. We own at the Beach club but last August we stayed at OKW. OMG we feel in love with the place and I'm talking 6 adults. all loved it. it may kick the epcot area down a notch.

nickys

Premium Member

If you are looking to go between end of Sept and early Jan, you need to be approaching the broker or a private owner before the 11 month mark, so they can hopefully have someone lined up to book at 11 months. I would contact them at around 12 months out.

For some resorts and room types, this also holds true for any time of year.

But of course, you need to be sure of your dates before you do this.

SyracuseDisneyFan

The last two times I've gone with my family, my Mom's used David's Vacation Club. My dental hygienist recommended them. The last time, my Mom used them to rent points for Animal Kingdom Lodge. At first, they gave us a studio room. However, my Mom called them later that day and we got a 2 bedroom suite.

LUVofDIS

Truthfully though, I think all the resorts have their charm and appeal. We own at the Beach club but last August we stayed at OKW. OMG we feel in love with the place and I'm talking 6 adults. all loved it. it may kick the epcot area down a notch.

We love the transportation, the boats to EPCOT and HS are the best in our opinion, better than the monorail.

LUVofDIS

If you are looking to go between end of Sept and early Jan, you need to be approaching the broker or a private owner before the 11 month mark, so they can hopefully have someone lined up to book at 11 months. I would contact them at around 12 months out.

For some resorts and room types, this also holds true for any time of year.

But of course, you need to be sure of your dates before you do this.

Thank you

Networth

I recently rented some of our VGF points we own. I only rent out privately as I think rental agencies commission is to high. I was approached this November for an early December 2019 booking in a standard studio. I wont speak to the value of renting as I am an owner, but will second the fact if you want an in demand resort in DVC busy season (Sept-Mid Jan) you need to plan far in advance.

Missing20K

Do I have any legitimate chance at booking a studio at BLT for late Aug/early Sept. this late in the game going through Davids or another site? We would settle for AKL but would really like to be on the monorail (going with a toddler and a baby).

And for those who have rented privately, how did you come across that? Just through friends, family, forum members, etc? Any tips are much appreciated.

aliceismad

I booked at a little less than 7 months out and got BLT (but not for Aug/Sept, though I don't know how high demand is for that time period).

nickys

Premium Member
Do I have any legitimate chance at booking a studio at BLT for late Aug/early Sept. this late in the game going through Davids or another site? We would settle for AKL but would really like to be on the monorail (going with a toddler and a baby).

And for those who have rented privately, how did you come across that? Just through friends, family, forum members, etc? Any tips are much appreciated.

You probably would be able to get a studio, but not the standard view (cheapest).

Mouseowners is a good site for renting. It has a separate renting board, just make sure to read the Stickies before posting! You’ll see some familiar names over there too. :)

Missing20K

You probably would be able to get a studio, but not the standard view (cheapest).

Mouseowners is a good site for renting. It has a separate renting board, just make sure to read the Stickies before posting! You’ll see some familiar names over there too. :)
Hmm we were actually thinking the view could be worth the increased price anyhow! We just aren’t sure we need much more room than the studio.

Much obliged! :)

nickys

Premium Member
Hmm we were actually thinking the view could be worth the increased price anyhow! We just aren’t sure we need much more room than the studio.

Much obliged! :)

Be warned, studios at BLT are the smallest I think. We always book 1 beds, but I hear the studios are cramped, depending on how many people will be in a room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom