What's wrong with the wand?

Jonathon Cooke

Original Poster
Please can everyone tell me what they all have against the hand and wand that was over Spaceship Earth?:fork: :shrug:

I thought it looked nice and made the iconic structure more of an icon and not just a golf ball on legs.

I really don't understand what everyones problem with it is!

Laura

Premium Member
Well if you do a search, this has been asked at least 281735913 times in the last year and you could refer to those threads for more input. ;)

Craigjr93

I agree

Dude i agree with you because people are complaining that it might break and it looks horrible and there is no problem. If you want to look at somthing nasty look at the castle when they made it look like a cake. That needed to be Taken Down.

goofyfan13

Please can everyone tell me what they all have against the hand and wand that was over Spaceship Earth?:fork: :shrug:

I thought it looked nice and made the iconic structure more of an icon and not just a golf ball on legs.

This has been discussed more than I can even try to count, but I will try to sum it up for you.

SSE is an iconic engineering marvel. The wand was a 2D tacky billboard that didn't fit at all with the parks theme and brought the scale of SSE down, and threw off the balance of the park. It served it's purpose for the Millennium celebration, however, when it didn't come down and they change the 2000 to Epcot, it had already over stayed its welcome. Theres more than that, but thats a good chunk of it in a nutshell.

jt04

Does it even matter any more. I think the debate is over. Let's all move on.:cool:

goofyfan13

Dude i agree with you because people are complaining that it might break and it looks horrible and there is no problem. If you want to look at somthing nasty look at the castle when they made it look like a cake. That needed to be Taken Down.

No one was saying it might break, we were hoping it would break so they would have to bring it down.

WDWGuide

To me, it looked tacky and destroyed the scale of SSE. Also the combination of the two (i.e. SSE and the wand) never made sense to me - what was the geosphere supposed to be? A crystal ball?

I like SSE in its standalone configuration much better. The only way they could plus it is by installing a lighting system like that of the Allianz Arena in Munich. The current white look would be retained when disabled, but it would make one hell of a light show when lit up (maybe synchronized to the fireworks).

Expo_Seeker40

It's oh so very simple. The wand was supposed to be a temporary structure. It was too expensive to take down a year or so after it was built. People started to get all lovey dovey with it, while others got all cold and prickly with it still being there. Seimens, the gods of all things good, came in, and epcot turns 25, money was flowing, and the wand is finally coming down.

Had it come down in 2001 like it was supposed to...well we wouldn't be talking about this. :)

WDWFigment

Be careful...last time I posted that video I got flamed pretty bad. :lookaroun

Nevertheless, I love it! :lol:

Someone flamed you for that? That video is hilarious! The only people I can see it upsetting are those who don't think people should have accountability when posting on forums...

MickeyJman06

many of the WDWMAGIC members hated the wand, i thought the wand looked cool and related with mickey mouse:cool:

EMThompsen

Hey I liked the wand. It is a Disney park afterall. & Walt wanted to make people happy. He wanted to make money by making people happy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom