what's wrong with Epcot

raven

So what the majority of you are saying is that EPCOT is not worth to go anymore? That's fine by me!!! Less people I have to deal with when I go. I see a lot of negativity on these boards anymore with regards to how Disney is "dumbing down" things or taking the cheaper way out with regards to refurbs or new attractions. Ask yourself this: Do you not enjoy yourself when you visit WDW? Are these things truly in your mind when you are walking into the park for the first time on your trip? If they are you need a life. Disney is a corporation and the almighty $$$ is their ultimate goal........not satifying a small percentage of customers with keeping rides the same. I personally like the NEMO ride now....................

Just my take on it...............

Let the riots begin

The can of worms are open.

imagineer boy

Nope. Much more simple than that.

Disney was faultering in the late 70s and decided to mutate Walt Disney's last idea into a theme park.

They developed a brilliant marketing plan, so brilliant infact that a very small group of people still cling to it today.

However, it was just marketing, that's all; just ideas to move the turnstiles.

Yeah, I'm sure Disney had nothing but profit in mind when they spent OVER A BILLION DOLLARS to build Epcot.

mastif

This is going to blow your mind. While it was called "Future World", the area of EPCOT Center was themed to Education and History. The "future" portion of every pavilion was typically a small portion at the conclusion of the featured attraction (that was concerned primarily with the history of a particular topic). It was designed that way for just the reason you present in the portion I quoted above.

The "future" portion was small and intended to be constantly updated to stay current. The historical portion was grand and expensive and designed to stay the same with minimal maintenance (because "history" doesn't change).

Management FUBARed Future World by ignoring the "future" portions and spending cash on, altering and in some instances, demolishing the long-term historical components. Recent management are idiots. The original designers? Not so much. There was a lot of foresight utilized.

true but who wants to go to epcot to see the end of a ride updated when universal keeps building roller coasters?

SMRT-1

Nope. Much more simple than that.

Disney was faultering in the late 70s and decided to mutate Walt Disney's last idea into a theme park.

They developed a brilliant marketing plan, so brilliant infact that a very small group of people still cling to it today.

However, it was just marketing, that's all; just ideas to move the turnstiles.

ok i'll do it..

1239467055359.jpg

jakeman

Yeah, I'm sure Disney had nothing but profit in mind when they spent OVER A BILLION DOLLARS to build Epcot.
Size of investment does not equal altruistic motives. Not to channel a former poster and get on a fiscial rant, but if that were the case Wall Street would be the Salvation Army.

You are kidding yourself if you think that Disney built Epcot without the purpose or the primary goal of making a profit.

If The Walt Disney Company was really concerned with EPCOT as Walt had imagined it, then they would have made the Experimental Prototype Community of Tommorrow not EPCOT Center.

However, you got a theme park that only remotely touched on the issues Walt claimed to want to solve with EPCOT.

The future didn't start on October 1, 1982, the dumbing down of Walt's EPCOT did.

If you want to see a theme park that actually has a mission statement that isn't PR fluff and is working towards that goal everyday, it's right down the street at Animal Kingdom.

And SMRT-1, your rebuttal does not live up to your screen name.

Figment632

This sums up everything, along with attendance figures.

How many of the nearly 11 million people who visited last year hate The Living Seas out of principle for including characters from one of the company's biggest hits? I'm guessing not many.

Only Imagination! arguably is "wrong" because it may not be the best thing to convince people to go through the entrance turnstiles.

I agree with most of what's being said here, but I don't really understand the opposition to the induction of Nemo into The Living Seas. I think it brought new life to the ride, and I don't see how it dumbs down the ride.

Nemo was the cheap and easy way out of fixing the problem and the ride does nothing to add to or even have anything to do with FW. It is like putting Mr. Toads Wild Ride in the Japan pavilion.

Animaniac93-98

Nemo was the cheap and easy way out of fixing the problem and the ride does nothing to add to or even have anything to do with FW. It is like putting Mr. Toads Wild Ride in the Japan pavilion.

Really? I figured fish go well in the seas but if a British toad goes well in Japan that's your opinion.

There's no point in arguing with you about the subject. The Seas was updated with a Nemo theme while retaining its educational opportunities and research areas. People are happy as indicated in surveys not conducted by Disney like the Unofficial Guide.

I doubt it was really "cheap" to implement either.

Ummm, Nemo is a fish. The Living Seas has always been an attraction about FISH and other sea critters. Nemo is obviously a perfect fit, and it's not like Disney tore out the aquarium part of the building to make room for the him.

PurpleDragon

The proverbial can of worms has been opened, and people are getting upset and heated over nothing more than personal opinions. UGH!!:brick:

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Figment632

Really? I figured fish go well in the seas but if a British toad goes well in Japan that's your opinion.

There's no point in arguing with you about the subject. The Seas was updated with a Nemo theme while retaining its educational opportunities and research areas. People are happy as indicated in surveys not conducted by Disney like the Unofficial Guide.

I doubt it was really "cheap" to implement either.

I compared it to Putting the Toad in Japan because it is stupid. Nemo fits the Seas but in no way fits in FW, If TLS were in DAK then its a perfect fit but Nemo does't fit in FW. After all of these debates there has still been nobody that can explain fitting in FW the seas but no FW.

SleepingMonk

These posts cut right to the heart of it. Yes of course EPCOT was built to generate income for the company, but it also had a vision and an impact once.

I miss the sense of optimism EPCOT gave me as a child. The EPCOT exhibits no longer invigorate me in a unique way. It's still a lot of fun, but not revelatory.

I still enjoy Future World but it certainly doesn't spark the imagination or inspire me anymore. It kinda lost it's heart in a matter of speaking... at least for me.

Future Guy

I think it's helpful to see EPCOT's mid-90s decline in the context of the overall creative decline that was going on during that period.

Consider: the '90s were when comic book artist Rob Liefeld became a millionaire even though he drew pictures like this:

liefeldcap.jpg

The '90s were also when we almost got a Tim Burton-directed Superman movie where the character couldn't fly and looked like this:

tim-burton-superman.jpg

At the same time, the people in charge of Superman's comic books changed him into this:

electrosupes.jpg

The '90s were also when George Lucas yanked the original versions of his Star Wars films off the market, pretended they didn't exist, and replaced them with the Special Editions.

The '90s were when Rick Berman temporarily drove the Star Trek franchise into the ground by progressively making it blander and more predictable.

And don't forget that the '90s also gave us the beginning of big, loud, and horribly stupid movies by Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay.

The '90s also gave us the wonderful decision by a Hollywood executive to make a movie starring Rob Schneider, as well as an even worse decision to make several movies starring Pauly Shore, including Bio-Dome.

Joel Schumacher's Batman films were made in the '90s.

Vanilla Ice? The '90s!
Space Jam? The '90s!
Shania Twain? Also the '90s!
Shaquille O'Neal's film career? Definitely the '90s!

My point (yes, I've really got one!) is that the forces that turned EPCOT Center into Epcot weren't limited to Disney, but were at work throughout the entertainment industry and resulted in lots of nauseating dreck being vomited out onto the public. In many ways, these forces are still at work (witness Transformers 2). However, there's also been a backlash against them, to some degree:

Rob Liefeld's work is now universally reviled. Superman was restored to his normal self. Batman will never have rubber nipples again. Nobody will hire Pauly Shore, and only Adam Sandler will hire Rob Schneider. It's safe to say that we will never see another movie starring Shaquille O'Neal or Bugs Bunny and Michael Jordan. And last we heard from Michael Eisner, his "big project" was a Bazooka Joe movie.

So there is hope. A tiny bit of hope, yeah, but it is there.

Krack

To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship ...

Welcome

EPCOT Center is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, the wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.

May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire. And, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.

jakeman

These posts cut right to the heart of it. Yes of course EPCOT was built to generate income for the company, but it also had a vision and an impact once.
However, did Epcot change or did the people change?

Just because Epcot no longer affects you, doesn't mean there aren't people being inspired everyday by Epcot, and that is the crux of the matter...

Because Epcot doesn't have the same affect on you (not you specifically) any more, you feel like it is now broken.

To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship ...

Welcome

EPCOT Center is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, the wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.

May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire. And, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.
Good job. You quoted PR fluff.

Do you really think that during the dedication of a theme park they are going to get up there and say, "I hope we make a lot of money with this place!"?

ABigBrassBand

I agree, Epcot means nothing as a word itself. What has to happen is to change it back to EPCOT, then they can start working on the internal meaning to FW. Epcot started to truly go downhill in 94' with the Imagination pavilion, so I imagine that if they at least (try?) to get that back up and running from the crap that we currently have, then they can work on the rest at a decent pace and still keep EPCOT Center fan's attentions.

I won't get started on the length of TS:WNaF, but you really have to give them credit for the pavilion's themeing. Sure, the actual ride is crap, but the queue is uncomparable, and the learning part after the ride is amazing also. Same with Turtle Talk with Crush (that is, IF you get a good CM to be Crush).

Sketch105

The sad thing is the only way to see the true vision of Epcot is to ride the TTA.

Epcot is a theme park, it is a money maker, and it will always be changing.

The truth is that as long as people go to the parks, people will go to Epcot because "they're there", and the Imagineers change things to give people what they want.

When Epcot opened, there were no characters. People complained they wanted to see Mickey. They got tons of characters, and in their respective lands where there original authors dreamed them up, or there stories took place.

I agree with Nemo is more of cheap fix since the same ride can be found at DL as Submarine Voyage, but do not discount the characters getting kids interested in the wonders of our oceans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom