What's Wrong With Cinderella?

darthjohnny

OMG, my husband and I have noticed that as well. We also thought it didn't make sense.
As for the article, the mother is obviously trying to live through her daughter vicariously. She should let her child pretend to be whatever the child wants to be. If she wants to be a princess, let her be a princess. My 3 year old daughter loves the princesses, esp. Belle and Jane Porter from Tarzan.
But she wanted a basketball from Santa this past Christmas, so guess what she got it! Kids have to be able to like whatever they like, and not get a negative response from parents when they do like different things. The rest of the article was kind of a blur to me after I read what she said about Cinderella's "Aryan" features, that's just racist.:mad:

I know the ride doesn't make sense. And you're right. Kids have to be kids!

sunshinegirl

The rest of the article was kind of a blur to me after I read what she said about Cinderella's "Aryan" features, that's just racist.:mad:

I'm with you. My blonde haired blue-eyed daughter is a total Princess FANATIC (Libby Lu as well) and actually wants to be Mulan this Halloween and then Pocahantas the next one. Um....how can that be construed as making our daughters want to conform and look like Cinderella? She did the Cinderella thing, then Ariel, etc. She doesn't discriminate. She loves all of the princesses equally.

I consider myself a bit of a feminist. I own my own company, make as much money as my husband, and gladly share diaper/potty training/bathtime duties. But this article goes to a level that makes me very uncomfortable. I want my little girls to feel like princesses sometimes. Other times I want them to clean their rooms and do their chores. LOL!!

MouseMadness

I can kind of see her point :lol:

Sure, my daughter will be allowed to play with princesses, but you can really go overboard with that stuff :dazzle:

Personally, in my house, I'm hoping for a little more Legos and a litlte less Barbie. Time will tell.

:lol: Don't lose too much of your much needed sleep over it :lol:

I HAVE to find a picture of my (blonde haired blue eyed :lookaroun ) Kaitlyn at Andy's graduation from med school. She picked the outfit herself, from the big, floppy feathery hat with flowers, to the sequined, tulled, puffy dress from the dress up department at FAO schwartz, to the slightly ridiculous, sparkly, feathery, sandals which she couldn't really walk in because they had a HEEL on them... all when she would've been about 5 or 6 years old.

Now, she is 12, and I'll be damned if I can get her out of her shorts, hastily pulled back pony tail, tshirt and gym shoes she wears to volleyball :brick: :lol:

GenerationX

The relentless resegregation of childhood appears to have sneaked up without any further discussion about ______ roles, about what it now means to be a boy or to be a girl.
This is a great example line from the article. Maybe this "relentless resegregration" has happened because the forced integration wasn't working? Girls will gravitate towards what innately interests them, and boys will do the same. Kids don't give a rats about what it means to be a boy or a girl, they just want to play. Many girls just happen to like playing with Disney Princess products. And that's fine. There's nothing intrinsically bad about Disney Princess products.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I can kind of see her point :lol:

Sure, my daughter will be allowed to play with princesses, but you can really go overboard with that stuff :dazzle:

Personally, in my house, I'm hoping for a little more Legos and a litlte less Barbie. Time will tell.

I played with Barbies and Legos pretty equally growing up. (I built houses, cars, and furniture for Barbie with my Legos :lookaroun ) I think I turned out ok. :lol:

As for this author, I think she is a bonafide nutwhack...and racist to boot. I think you have to let kids make their own decisions when it comes to what they want to play with. I don't necessarily think turning every girl into a princess and every boy into a walking GI Joe is the best idea but I think it is pretty harmless in the end.

However, I seriously take issue with certain companies producing clothes that make little girls look like whores. Every time I see a kid walking around in a t-shirt with a smart-______ comment written across their chest I want to grab the parents and shake some sense into them....and they wonder why their kids are telling them off regularly at age 8. I work for a major US retailer and it freaks me out to see some of the clothes we sell for kids. Some stores have even begun selling lingerie for 8 year olds. The only thing a 8 year old should be wearing is 10 for 3$ Fruit of the Loom briefs and an undershirt....not a padded bra and a thong or low rise undies. I am far from being conservative in most of my views about the world, but I just don't see the need to have children flaunting 'it' so soon.

Connor002

However, I seriously take issue with certain companies producing clothes that make little girls look like whores. Every time I see a kid walking around in a t-shirt with a smart-______ comment written across their chest I want to grab the parents and shake some sense into them....and they wonder why their kids are telling them off regularly at age 8. I work for a major US retailer and it freaks me out to see some of the clothes we sell for kids. Some stores have even begun selling lingerie for 8 year olds. The only thing a 8 year old should be wearing is 10 for 3$ Fruit of the Loom briefs and an undershirt....not a padded bra and a thong or low rise undies. I am far from being conservative in most of my views about the world, but I just don't see the need to have children flaunting 'it' so soon.
Here, here!
I agree completely.

Uponastar

I played with Barbies and Legos pretty equally growing up. (I built houses, cars, and furniture for Barbie with my Legos :lookaroun ) I think I turned out ok. :lol:

As for this author, I think she is a bonafide nutwhack...and racist to boot. I think you have to let kids make their own decisions when it comes to what they want to play with. I don't necessarily think turning every girl into a princess and every boy into a walking GI Joe is the best idea but I think it is pretty harmless in the end.

Boy do I agree!
Little girls should look like little girls, not floozies-in-training! I can't believe parents are buying these clothes! I decided what my little girls wore till they were old enough to make mature, sensible decisions on their own. And the reason they eventually made such decisions was because they knew what their father and I expected of them. And before someone throws out the "self-expression" line. . .it is possible for children to express themselves without degrading themselves. . .and it is up to parents to make sure they know what is acceptable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom