Whats with Fantasyland Expansion?

gamedude

Original Poster
Anyone know whats going on with the new fantasyland? I thought it was supposed to start construction in November, November is pretty much over and There hasn't been much construction going on? Any news upon this?:shrug:

BigThunderMatt

I would imagine much of the construction is going on behind the scenes right now, in terms of infrastructure and such. There's a lot of backstage areas that will need to be relocated in order to accommodate the expansion, and that work is easier to do because it's not in guest areas. They'll probably only start doing visible construction once it's the only option available.

cdunbar

Seems to be misinformation, or we just can't see what they are doing. I think it'll be "visible" in Jan or so, when crowds go away.:)

Yeah like Evan said this is such a crowded time of year it probably was never their intention for it to start in Nov or Dec, because I'm sure they'll be some re-routing of guest traffic and this time of year they reach their max SOO many days that I'm sure it would make MK a living nightmare! So I too agree that come January we'll see some dirt moving around...:D

Foolish1

Have any construction permits been filed for Fantasyland yet? I would think we would know when construction is about to start based upon a boatload of permits being filed. With something this massive, I don't know how that could be missed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Anyone know whats going on with the new fantasyland? I thought it was supposed to start construction in November, November is pretty much over and There hasn't been much construction going on? Any news upon this?:shrug:

Construction begins in early 2010.

EpcotServo

And while we're at...What's the deal with the Pina Colada song?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTkulXMkx_0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTkulXMkx_0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

EPCOT Explorer

Have any construction permits been filed for Fantasyland yet? I would think we would know when construction is about to start based upon a boatload of permits being filed. With something this massive, I don't know how that could be missed.

That would be a indicator, yes, but I've not heard anything. :(

ChrisFL

Premium Member
They have a looooong time to build it, and as others have said, much of the planned expansion isn't even visible from the existing park areas.

yensid63

Thanks for the Mistie moment Epcot Servo.
I miss Joel and the 'Bots. Off topic, are you going to get the MST3K box set next month, the one with the Servo figurine?

WDW1974

There's been a lot of misinformation about this project, like most.

But Disney never stated any construction would begin this year. They never actually put out any definitive timeline.

Things will begin in 2010, though.

_Scar

There's been a lot of misinformation about this project, like most.

But Disney never stated any construction would begin this year. They never actually put out any definitive timeline.

Things will begin in 2010, though.

And we still have a "roller coaster announcement" :rolleyes: like that will ever happen.

TP2000

This project needs a preview center like DCA's Blue Sky Cellar, or even the current lobby displays of the Disneyland Opera House.

Where's the Preview Center?

Rob562

Be aware that the "permits" that are talked about on these boards (the ones found on the County Comptroller's website) are *not* building permits. They are filings required by the state (or county) any time *changes* are being made to existing property or buildings that would alter that property's value.

As most actual building permits are handled by Reedy Creek (which was one reason the RCID was set up in the first place), I doubt that any actual construction permits are available to be viewed by the public.

And because most of the Fantasyland expansion is *new* construction, we probably won't see anything show up on the Comptroller's website until they have to start tearing out things that already exist, like the Pooh playground, Ariel's M&G, and eventually the Toontown Fair structures. But a good 75% of the expansion is on land that for all intents and purposes is empty. And once those existing structures are gone, we'll once again be left in the dark with no new info.

-Rob

_Scar

This project needs a preview center like DCA's Blue Sky Cellar, or even the current lobby displays of the Disneyland Opera House.

Where's the Preview Center?

Maybe, but I think they want construction to be low key. TDO already is crazy about "ruining peoples vacations" which can sometimes be a negative trait so I wouldn't expect them to highlight construction. DCA needed a preview center because locals wanted change badly and the expansion was going to take a while, so the preview center showed what was to come so that they knew change was coming.

TP2000

Maybe, but I think they want construction to be low key. TDO already is crazy about "ruining peoples vacations" which can sometimes be a negative trait so I wouldn't expect them to highlight construction. DCA needed a preview center because locals wanted change badly and the expansion was going to take a while, so the preview center showed what was to come so that they knew change was coming.

I think we may be over-analyzing a theme park Preview Center here. :)

It's just a fun thing that has models and sketches and zippy videos to let people know what is being built behind the construction walls.

Heck, Disneyland has a display of sketches and models in the Main Street Opera House lobby about Star Tours 2.0 coming in 2011, and that construction doesn't start until next year with the current Star Tours running along as normal a short stroll from the Opera House.

It would seem to me a Preview Center would be a fun offering during the large reconstruction of Fantasyland and Toontown. And it wouldn't RUIN VACATIONS in the process. :lol:

BigThunderMatt

It would seem to me a Preview Center would be a fun offering during the large reconstruction of Fantasyland and Toontown. And it wouldn't RUIN VACATIONS in the process. :lol:

Apparently you've never read the rantings and ravings of innumerable individuals about 'X' attraction being closed during THEIR vacation and how upset it makes them at a certain other WDW forum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom