What's up with the Holiday Inn on Hotel Plaza Blvd

gbruenin

Original Poster
Does anyone know the status of the Holiday Inn? Over lots of years I've stayed in that building quite a few times....as Howard Johnson's, and as Marriott Courtyard. I recall it had just changed flags to Holiday Inn when the hurricane storms blew through a few years ago, with this building taking the direct hit of what passed across the property (Royal Plaza took a hit as well). It had appeared to be under repair, then the last time we were there I noticed nothing more seemed to have been done, and the construction trailers and fencing were gone. Is it abandoned, still under repair, up for sale, ???? If it's for sale, any idea how much (not like I have that kind of change laying around).

Thanks. Gary

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Quote from the webpage:

The Holiday Inn - In the Walt Disney World Resort, will open in February 2009

The hotel will be brand new and is experiencing a top-to-bottom makeover that will impact all facilities including guestrooms, meeting and banquet space, restaurant and lounge, lobby, atrium and pool.

Note when you zoom in on the web page aerial photo from Google, it centers on the Hilton, not the HI.

wainy

Holiday Inn, Downtown Disney

I was wondering the same thing, the hotel sustained a lot of damage by Hurricanes Charley and Frances in 2004. At one point there was a lot of work going on to repair the hotel, but over the last couple of years the site has been deserted. I was there in April this year and there was no one to be seen. Just a thought, was there some kind of legal battle going on with holiday Inn & the insurance company? Getting on for 4 years is a long time, lets face it they can build a brand new hotel in half that time. Anyways... the Holliday Inn web site says the hotel is due to open February 2009!? Wonder what Disney think of it all?

Ducky_Love

I don't have a firm opening date for you, but I can say that they have hired a sales staff. That is a very good sign they they will be opening in the next year.

Due to the seasonality around here I am sure they will be open for Xmas if they can make it. If not then I would expect February next year so they can get the Feb - March rush.

Hope this helps! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom