What's Up With Primeval Whirl?

Spectroman2003

Original Poster
I was Animal Kingdom a few weeks ago (wanted to go on Dinosaur before it closed) The crowds were really lite so we decided to go on Primeval Whirl. That ride is awful. THAT IS THE MOST JERKIEST THING I'VE EVER BEEN ON, worst than Space Mountain. I do not remember it being that jerky when I first went on. In my opinion, that ride was just a cheap way of getting a thrill type ride into the park.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by Spectroman2003
I was Animal Kingdom a few weeks ago (wanted to go on Dinosaur before it closed) The crowds were really lite so we decided to go on Primeval Whirl. That ride is awful. THAT IS THE MOST JERKIEST THING I'VE EVER BEEN ON, worst than Space Mountain. I do not remember it being that jerky when I first went on. In my opinion, that ride was just a cheap way of getting a thrill type ride into the park.

Yes, it is pretty cheap. When Paul Pressler was president of the resorts at the time, he thought that a cheap thrill ride would bring crowds to AK. It didn't. Although, when I first went on it, I thought it was a hoot.

MagicalMonorail

Yeah its cheap alright. It's kind of sad. You can find this ride or one similar to it at any amusement park. That's what Walt wanted to get away from. He didn't want any cheap old rides in his parks. We should all blame for Eisner.:lookaroun

Lee

Adventurer
I think it's a cute little ride.
Makes me laugh every time.

It was put in as sort of a placeholder. They needed to increase capacity at AK, and short of a major E-Ticket, this was an economic and fairly effective way.

BRER STITCH

I kinda like it! :)

The "jerkiness" of it is part of the fun.

I have never seen a ride like it in any other park before AK, or since. I'm not saying they don't exist - I've just never seen one before. I guess that's why we like it!

What I DO think is cheap, though, is the carnival games set up around it.

I'm betting that in a different atmospehere ( OR MAYBE EVEN IN THE DARK!!! - HOW FUN WOULD THAT BE?!?!?!?) that Primeval Whirl would feel a whole lot more......umm......DISNEY!!!

:wave:

the-reason

Originally posted by Lee
I think it's a cute little ride.
Makes me laugh every time.

It was put in as sort of a placeholder. They needed to increase capacity at AK, and short of a major E-Ticket, this was an economic and fairly effective way.

I like it to, and it does have me cracking up every time(although I dont know why)

I do agree the other stuff within that section looks crappy, but I think it was a good choice of a ride to put there, and it does( IMO ) somewhat adds something to dinoland.

Raven66

I really like the ride. It made me laugh the whole time, but that could have also been because my mom got her arms stuck at her sides when the bar came down. We were so cramped in there she couldn't get them out. :lol:

Katherine

Originally posted by BRER STITCH
The "jerkiness" of it is part of the fun.
I'd have tp agree here. I think this is a very cute ride and it's suppose to make you feel like your about to fall over(and sitting on the outside definantly gives you that feeling). I always enjoy it when I go.

tj229er

I was Animal Kingdom a few weeks ago (wanted to go on Dinosaur before it closed)

When was this annoced and why? Also is there any plans for what is going to happen with this space?

NemoRocks78

Seized
It's okay. I'll ride it if the wait time is 10 minutes or less, but if anymore than that, you won't see me on it.

Just as everyone has said, it's cheap and tacky, just like the rest of Dino-Rama. Couldn't have something else been placed there? I would've liked an Omnimover dark ride which told about the dinosaurs and took you through amazing-looking scenes with AA dinos. They could have it fit into the "Dino Institute" theme, like Honey, I Shrunk The Audience and Journey Into Imagination are.

tj229er--Dinosaur isn't closing for good, it's going under a rehab until June. It's still here! :D

Not For Sale

Disney is too smart of a company to just make this flop. Disney is smarter than any person on these boards than just to make a crappy carnival mini-land. This is just trying to be a "push factor" for the park and EE (once it comes out) will replace thats as a "push factor." Once all of the new rides are done I can see Dino-Rama being changed to an E-Ticket ride or a new, quality land.

imagineer boy

One idea I've had that will make a great addition to Dinorama would be a dark ride where Chester and Hester tried to do a dark ride about Dinos, with failed attempts to create AAs ( which malfunction and sparks shoot everywhere ) and you see real AA workman running around all over the place trying to keep the ride running and not fall apart. This would be a great, and not cheape ride to add to Dinorama.

crazydaveh

I like PW. It's not the best ride in the world, and it's not the worst.

They themed it to be the way it is. The ride is fun, it's not what they're saying EE will be, but it's still something over nothing!

It's good for kids. And the last time I checked, there were a lot of kids at AK!

Just my 2 cents!

Tramp

I like the ride. I like that it's carnival simple/cheap. I most like that some people don't like it cuz I'm sure I can count on the lines being shorter the next time I wanna ride it!:D

goofyman

Ok I'll give you that this is a silly ride, but the kids like it. What I can not understand id "worst than space mountian" how can you even compare the 2. Space mountian is a classic and a great ride!

KaliSplash

I like it for what it is. The whole section is designed to be a cheap, simple reminder of by-gone era.

and on a more practical level, it clearly was designed to be an inexpensive way to get more attractions into a park that didn't have enough when it opened. (A problem repeated from Disney-MGM).

It also came at the same time as Aladdin's Magic Carpet in Adventureland in Magic Kingdom, something else that is completely expendable but that helps soak up people who might otherwise be in line ahead of me for the good stuff!

I ride PW when the line is not long. But frankly, the only really good things in this park are Kali, Dinosaur, Kilaminjaro and It's Tough to be a Bug. Though I've grown fond of Tarzan Rocks for the music an high energy.

Eagerly awaiting Everest

lamarvenoy

That section with the carnival games is very sub-par.It makes me feel like I'm at Busch Gardens and anyone who has been there will tell you...its no disney. Theming is what keeps me and my MONEY at Disney, I really feel these "quick pre-fab" rides like Aladdin and pretty much the whole section by Primevil Whirl are in poor taste. Like a Hyundai in a Porsche dealership.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom