What's up with February?

Ringo8n24

We usually have no problem getting a room at WDW around the 3rd weekend of February until this time. I have been so busy and have not sat down to book the room and it seems there is nothing available except Coronado (which I cannot stand) and AKL-Savannah view (too expensive for this short trip)...I was looking forward to my trusty old POR. Being away from the boards for a while and on limited time to sit down and do this, just wondering if the fact that the Daytona 500 and Mardi Gras escapers (like us) are taking up that weekend or is there something else going on because we normally are one of the Daytona 500/Mardi Gras crowd too? I really do not want to stay off property and I cannot change my dates because my office is giving us a 4 day weekend for Mardi Gras. This is also to celebrate my little girl's 5th birthday that week. We had to cancel it last year, but promised this year for sure and it seems I may not be able to follow through on that promise. Any thought or suggestions is appreciated. :wave:

FireMedic

Well I'm going down in 2 weeks and it was hard to get a room then too. I have gone in years past the same time with no problem but this year is different. It was also hard to rent a car this time, not many options. They say park attendance has gone up but this is off season.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I agree with you about car rentals. The prices were outrageous this year. I kept hoping they'd go down, but they really never did.

Upvote 0

tecowdw

I agree with you about car rentals. The prices were outrageous this year. I kept hoping they'd go down, but they really never did.
Agreed! It's been a long time since car rental rates have been this high.
Perhaps the impact of Disney's Magical Express...the rental agencies have fewer customers to make the same amount of income.

That hurts people like me that can't use DME flying into Sanford.
:cry:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Agreed! It's been a long time since car rental rates have been this high.
Perhaps the impact of Disney's Magical Express...the rental agencies have fewer customers to make the same amount of income.

That hurts people like me that can't use DME flying into Sanford.
:cry:
I shopped around a lot, for months, and finally got us a minivan for a week for $365. That's the most we've ever paid for one, and most places were closer to 6 or 8 hundred!

Upvote 0

Luke82580

February

Well I finally got my hotel booked, was unable to stay on property. Will be staying at Comfort Inn, Lake Buena Vista...needless to say won't get a change to use DME for the first time either. Had no problem getting a cheap rental car though. Feb. 7 - 11

Upvote 0

mickey7879

I just looked on Disney and there are lots of rooms available for that weekend. Not sure what the problem everyone is running into. Seems to work ok for me! I'd say, keep trying!!

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Original Poster
Wow! :sohappy: I actually got a room today at POR for 2/22-2/25.:sohappy: I got a card in the mail yesterday for 30% off Value Resorts during that time I needed. I say that was a sign that we should go. :D So, called them today, but all discounted rooms at the moderates were full. Needless to say I am paying full price at POR, but at this point...I do not care. I am just so glad to be going. These dates work out better anyway because we are now actually arriving on my daughter's birthday. I was thinking a character dinner somewhere. Any other ideas?

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

Wow! :sohappy: I actually got a room today at POR for 2/22-2/25.:sohappy: I got a card in the mail yesterday for 30% off Value Resorts during that time I needed. I say that was a sign that we should go. :D So, called them today, but all discounted rooms at the moderates were full. Needless to say I am paying full price at POR, but at this point...I do not care. I am just so glad to be going. These dates work out better anyway because we are now actually arriving on my daughter's birthday. I was thinking a character dinner somewhere. Any other ideas?

:sohappy: Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Original Poster
:sohappy: Have a great trip.

Thanks, MKCP. You know how long I have been trying to get back on our feet again after the hurricane to be able to go. This trip means alot to us. I was thinking of taking her to Chef Mickey's, but I heard mixed reviews about the food. I know the breakfasts look good there.:slurp:

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

Did you see my signature? :lol: Let me know how it was, ok? We can't go until later!

I don't see how you can go wrong with Chef Mickey's for breakfast. One look at those characters running about, and your little ones would be happy eating cardboard. And with enough pancake syrup, even the cardboard would probably taste okay. :lol:

Upvote 0

GoCamels

Don't know how much it's related to full houses in February...but the Super Bowl is in Miami this year, followed immediately by Speedweeks, and then two weeks later by the Daytona 500. Don't know how much of this could be wheeler dealers/big spenders making it a month in Florida...but when I called Reservations in late December, the CM I spoke with brought this point up.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

We are going down FEb 4-10th and had no problem booking a room. I booked it as soon as the AP rates came out. We wanted a moderate and pretty much had our choice of POR, CS, or CB. We chose CB because of the food court being refurbished at POR. We chose 4th-10th becuase it looks like that week is free from cheerleading competitions and is still a week before presidents day. Because it is so expensive to fly out of our airport in Cincinnati, we are driving to Columbus and flying into Tampa. (Saving almost $500 on airfare) Also, we found the rental cars to be cheaper this time at Tampa, and were able to get an SUV for the same price as we would have had a full size at MCO, using codes from Mousesavers of course.

Upvote 0

MiRi

I was looking for rooms in the value resorts for Feb. 1-4th and couldn't find anything. I ended up booking off-site.

Think the crowds will be that bad by then?

Upvote 0
I had trouble finding anything on the web for feb 9-16 so i called disney directly. I said that i was just checking cause the web site and travel agent i spoke with said there was nothing available at any value resort for that week... they had plenty open...? i dont know.. but im booked :) try calling directly.

Upvote 0

srd1969

We're going the 22nd to the 28th and had a really hard time getting ADR's at all the good places... Went the same time last year and didn't have the same problem. Who knows...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom