What's up with Expedition Everest?

Sabi

Hello everyone. For me the theme of the Yeti, is a lost topic. What really shame me is that the other effects, especially concerning the fog of entry and exit to the cave, she has completely disappeared. That effect was greatly immersive. And it is not understood that an effect as simple as the vaporized water has not had continuity.:(

djkidkaz

Hello everyone. For me the theme of the Yeti, is a lost topic. What really shame me is that the other effects, especially concerning the fog of entry and exit to the cave, she has completely disappeared. That effect was greatly immersive. And it is not understood that an effect as simple as the vaporized water has not had continuity.:(

Apparently the mist was effecting the sensors causing the ride to stop frequently. Remember that is an area where the sensors have to tell the track to flip over, so if they have condensation on them, it may not read properly and cause the ride to stop.

Sabi

Well, I know ... but today there are anti-corrosion treatments, which with a simple maintenance could allow the effect to continue, you just have to see the Hogwart train in the Universal Studio ... how much smoke. See video from minute 3:00

JohnD

Let's hope when Pandora opens they take the lengthy time to get it refurbed...10 Years running straight to keep guests in the park it needs it's own little R&R.

That's an obvious time for a refurb. Redirect everyone to a new area of AK. Close down EE for a refurb.

Rich T

Apparently the mist was effecting the sensors causing the ride to stop frequently. Remember that is an area where the sensors have to tell the track to flip over, so if they have condensation on them, it may not read properly and cause the ride to stop.
And it really makes one wonder why this problem wasn't anticipated when the ride was being designed in the first place. These are highly-paid people designing a multi-million dollar attraction for the world's biggest tourist resort. Jetson, you'rrrrrrrrre fired!

Disney-Trains

It would also seem likely no alternate fog effects were ever tested. The fog was done with mist, so the condensation could build up on the sensors. (So we've heard). But what about theatrical fog, theatrical haze, co2 fog, etc. These are all created in different ways, and could potentially have no effect on the sensors.

lnsemsf

I do some work for a company who provides smoke/fog effects for Disney/Universal. What I know, and I'm by no means a cryogenics expert, is that the systems are incredibly complex and require large storage tanks and maintenance to be kept in working order. Adding this to Everest would probably be close to the difficulty of replacing the Yeti. The mountain is not designed for addition or subtraction of major engineered effects. What is there now is what you have to work with.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I do some work for a company who provides smoke/fog effects for Disney/Universal. What I know, and I'm by no means a cryogenics expert, is that the systems are incredibly complex and require large storage tanks and maintenance to be kept in working order. Adding this to Everest would probably be close to the difficulty of replacing the Yeti. The mountain is not designed for addition or subtraction of major engineered effects. What is there now is what you have to work with.
Paris BTM just received its Ln2 tanks that were placed on the shore. Supply pipes were run underwater, under Rivers of the Far West and the boat track, onto the island and up into the third lift showscene.

Everest would be a walk in the park in comparison.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
If they committed the time and money they can do just about anything they want to do.
That begs the question of whether a little gig is worth that time and money or should that time and money be spent on new stuff or updating/fixing rides that are more in need. Even without fog and a stationary yeti, Everest is still one of the most impressively themed and well done coasters I've ever seen.

Last edited:

James Norrie

The Yeti is on a 40 Ft Tower with his own support structure, inside a Mountain with it's own separate support structure, which houses a roller coaster with it's own separate support structure. The Mountain itself is rigid, the yeti base is very rigid, and the roller coaster has some flex engineered in. None of the structures can touch each other, ever. They built all of the separate structures at the same time, because they are so interwoven. It would be near impossible to remove or replace any 1 piece without having to alter another.

This is something that Rohde has said in the past, I think on the Modern Marvels episode on WDW.

Rich T

That begs the question of whether a little dog is worth that time and money or should that time and money be spent on new stuff or updating/fixing rides that are more in need. Even without fog and a stationary yeti, Everest is still one of the most impressively themed and well done coasters I've ever seen.
Everest is one of the biggest showcase attractions in Walt Disney World. People go home and tell their friends about it (and, ideally, say good things). You'd think WDW management would want it working the way it was intended. And if a park's management keeps letting effects rot and stay broken because "meh, it's good enough without 'em," pretty soon you have a resort full of broken effects and lessened experiences and...oh...wait...

Last edited:

Disney-Trains

I'm pretty sure if Disney can figure out how to run Cryo in spaceship earth, they can figure out how to do it for Everest.

The fog was a major effect for Everest, it totally blocked the visual of seeing the switch inside the tunnel. And Falling backwards into the fog was a really cool experience.

I can't even remember... Was there ever fog in the yeti projection room?

Phil12

TWDC has had a special cryogenics team on the payroll since Walt's death back in 1966. They moved Walt by special cryogenic train cars from California to Florida and have even taken him around the world on cryogenic cruise ships.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Yeti is on a 40 Ft Tower with his own support structure, inside a Mountain with it's own separate support structure, which houses a roller coaster with it's own separate support structure. The Mountain itself is rigid, the yeti base is very rigid, and the roller coaster has some flex engineered in. None of the structures can touch each other, ever. They built all of the separate structures at the same time, because they are so interwoven. It would be near impossible to remove or replace any 1 piece without having to alter another.

This is something that Rohde has said in the past, I think on the Modern Marvels episode on WDW.
Not entirely true. The substructure and foundation is fine.

The issue is with the figure, which has been removed and put back since the ride opened.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Everest is one of the biggest showcase attractions in Walt Disney World. People go home and tell their friends about it (and, ideally, say good things). You'd think WDW management would want it working the way it was intended. And if a park's management keeps letting effects rot and stay broken because "meh, it's good enough without 'em," pretty soon you have a resort full of broken effects and lessened experiences and...oh...wait...

I'm not saying they shouldn't fix it. Just that if it is going to have to be a time consuming or expensive fix, other things should be taking the priority right now imo. The fog is a cool effect, but it isn't a make or break effect. Same with the yeti moving. You pass the yeti so fast and the disco lights is pretty effective.

These problems must be fixed. But let's get avatar open and a few other new things before we even start worrying about everest. Epcot Future World rides need the help more. Hollywood Studios shows need the help more. Peter Pan and Tomorrowland need the help more. Rivers of Light and Rafikis Planet Watch need the help more. Fixing Everest before any of those issues would be a mistake in my opinion.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

"They're tourist, whadda they know?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom