What's the biggest bang for you fastpass+?

UberPlannerMom

Original Poster
OK, so, assuming you want to ride/experience absolutely everything available at each of the four main parks, what do you consider the biggest bang for your fastpass+ buck? Are the rides that had the original fastpass system still the ones to go for? Are fireworks or shows actually any better from the preferred viewing spots? Just for brevity lets keep it to 3 for each park please!

stevehousse

AK
-Kilaminjaro Safari
-Expedition Everest
-Dinosaur

Epcot
-Test Track
-Soarin
- Maelstrom

DHS
-TSMM
-Tower of Terror
-RRC

MK
-Splash Mountain
-BTMR
-Peter Pans Flight

I really wish Magic Bands would be available at my resort, but nothing yet! 60 days to go!!!

Weather_Lady

It will be interesting to see how FP+ affects the wait times at attractions that were traditionally walk-ons, but which will now have Fastpass. We won't know until everything is fully rolled out, but here's how I see it once the paper Fastpasses are no more and all we have is Fastpass+:

MK:
The Mountains (including 7DMT when it opens) will still be a top priority, along with Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Enchanted Tales with Belle and even the Jungle Cruise, but attractions like the Haunted Mansion, Barnstormer, Little Mermaid and Pirates of the Caribbean may see standby wait times increase significantly due to the addition of Fastpass+, and the tendency of those who can't get Fastpasses for headliners deferring to those as the "second string." MK has so many more popular (or just low-capacity) attractions that every visitor could get 6 Fastpasses a day in the Magic Kingdom and still not have enough to avoid some very long waits.

HS:
TSMM fastpasses will likely be long gone before rope drop (or immediately after, if some are held over to be obtained the day-of), so there will be a line of panicked parents and children without FPs at rope drop, more determined than ever before to get there because they know there's no chance they'll be able to Fastpass it. It's going to get even more insane. Standby lines at Star Tours, the Great Movie Ride, and the Muppets will likely increase with more people opting to get Fastpasses for them if/when the headliner fastpasses are gone.

Epcot:
Soarin' and Test Track fastpasses, like TSMM, may be gone before rope drop, increasing the desperation of those who don't have them. Standby lines at Nemo, SSE and Mission:Space will increase...

AK:
As the least popular park with only enough popular attractions to fill a single Fastpass+ roster, I imagine it will see the least impact from FP+. I'd Fastpass Expedition Everest and the Safari, and if there is an option to have advance FP+ seating for FOTLK or Nemo, I might do that. The fact is, though, we always hit AK first thing in the morning, so we've never needed to use a single FP there. That may change when we suddenly find all the lines slowed down by new Fastpass+ lanes.

Last edited:

WDWYankee15

OK, so, assuming you want to ride/experience absolutely everything available at each of the four main parks, what do you consider the biggest bang for your fastpass+ buck? Are the rides that had the original fastpass system still the ones to go for? Are fireworks or shows actually any better from the preferred viewing spots? Just for brevity lets keep it to 3 for each park please!

AK
-Kilaminjaro Safari
-Expedition Everest
-Dinosaur

Epcot
-Test Track
-Soarin
- Maelstrom

DHS
-TSMM
-Tower of Terror
-RRC

MK
-Splash Mountain
-BTMR
-Peter Pans Flight

I really wish Magic Bands would be available at my resort, but nothing yet! 60 days to go!!!

Your list is pretty good but there are two ways to look at this. One is once the program is fully in place and there are no more traditional FastPasses (paper ones) and one is during the current testing. Since the testing is where we currently are, I'll discuss that.

Since you can still get transational FastPasses with your Keys to the Kingdom Cards during the testing, just as everyone else not participating in the testing, the rides that had the original FastPass system aren't always the ones that will get you your biggest bang. The reason is because they STILL have the original FastPass system. There are some attractions that do not give out traditional FastPasses, will have longer waits, and are available for FastPass+ (especially true at MK). Let's face it FassPass is all about quality use of your time. With all this in mind you may want to consider the following list of attractions that tend to have decent wait times:

Animal Kingdom
-Kilaminjaro Safari
-Expedition Everest
-Finding Nemo the Musical (get's you in 5-15 minutes before the show and saves you from getting there real early to get in - this depends on the time of the year)

Epcot
-Test Track
- Soarin
- Illuminations (good viewing without staking a spot 45 minutes in advance).

DHS
-TSMM (Because getting a traditional FastPass can be a pain or difficult before they are gone)
-Tower of Terror and/or RRC (get one or the other and get a traditional FastPass for the other)
-Fantasmic! (good viewing without having to be there a hour or more before - depends on time of the year and how many shows per night they have)

MK (You get 4 FastPass+'s at MK)
-Enchanted Tales with Belle
-Charater Meet and Greets that don't have traditional FastPasses (If that is your thing)
* Ariel Grotto
* Princess Fairytale Hall (This is suppose to have traditional FastPasses but since you can only get one at a time, you my want to get a FastPass+ for one line and a traditional for the other. (This new attraction will probably have huge lines).
-Haunted Mansion
-Parades and Fireworks (good viewing without staking a spot 45 minutes in advance)

Reality is that at AK, EPCOT, and DHS the rides that now have FastPass+, but do not have traditional FastPasses are not a huge need for getting a FastPass, so essentially you can use your FastPass+'s to go on the "big rides" more than once when you combine with traditional FastPasses. Also, my biggest takeaway from our trip in late August was to think outside the box a little on the conventional wisdom that has been used for FastPasses because you can still use the old system and you will come out way ahead. Have fun.

ExtinctJenn

For us, we intend to use FP+ for those attractions that we never seem to be able to get on because FPs run out by the time we arrive (we aren't typically rope dropers). That'd be:

Epcot: Soarin'
DHS: Toy Story Midway Mania

At MK and AK there rarely is something we want to get on and can't get a FP for. I think I'd most likely see us using the FP+ at MK for a favorite attraction that we simply don't want to miss (that maybe didn't have FP at all before) or a M&G (though I doubt that). DAK is always hit or miss for us. I'd say Dinosaur is a favorite. We don't mind waiting for Nemo typically so not sure I'd use it there. Maybe a show? Once we can actually book our FP+ stuff (hoping soon) and I can see what FP+ options there even are (I've not kept up with it) then maybe I'll have an "ah ha" moment for those parks.

docdebbi

i sort of did mine backwards. i got our FP+ for the stupid little rides that the kids want to do but the lines are surprisingly long, i.e., enchanted tales with Belle, tea cups and dumbo. we plan to go right to the biggies- the mountains- and do them before it gets crowded and then in the afternoon use our FP+ for these time consuming but necessary (for the little guys) rides.

although i must admit, i think we are breezing on our oct trip. we will have FP+, traditional FP (unless they suddenly stop it with full roll out before then which I doubt) AND FIVE EACH ANYTIME ANYWHERE FASTPASSES tha they gave us as compensation for wasting so much of our time last trip with their screw up (long story, but they made me happy with this apology).

think we'll FP most rides, woo hoo. never happen again, but will take it now!

Bairstow

i sort of did mine backwards. i got our FP+ for the stupid little rides that the kids want to do but the lines are surprisingly long, i.e., enchanted tales with Belle, tea cups and dumbo. we plan to go right to the biggies- the mountains- and do them before it gets crowded and then in the afternoon use our FP+ for these time consuming but necessary (for the little guys) rides.

although i must admit, i think we are breezing on our oct trip. we will have FP+, traditional FP (unless they suddenly stop it with full roll out before then which I doubt) AND FIVE EACH ANYTIME ANYWHERE FASTPASSES tha they gave us as compensation for wasting so much of our time last trip with their screw up (long story, but they made me happy with this apology).

think we'll FP most rides, woo hoo. never happen again, but will take it now!

That's probably a sound strategy.
A lot of the mountains, Splash in particular but Thunder and Space as well, have very nice, heavily-themed queues.

Peter Pan and Small World do not, and waiting in line for them or Enchanted Community Service Libary Time With Belle can be hellish on a hot, crowded day.

Also consider that the Fantasyland rides are walk-on for 30-45 minutes after rope drop whereas the mountains fill up with teenagers and young adults right away.

jkl2000

AK
-Kilaminjaro Safari
-Expedition Everest
-Dinosaur

Epcot
-Test Track
-Soarin
- Maelstrom

DHS
-TSMM
-Tower of Terror
-RRC

MK
-Splash Mountain
-BTMR
-Peter Pans Flight

Exactly what I went for, except Peter Pan is closed so went with Pooh. Probably not necessary, but figured I'd throw DS4 a bone.

jkl2000

It will be interesting to see how FP+ affects the wait times at attractions that were traditionally walk-ons, but which will now have Fastpass. We won't know until everything is fully rolled out, but here's how I see it once the paper Fastpasses are no more and all we have is Fastpass+:

MK:
The Mountains (including 7DMT when it opens) will still be a top priority, along with Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Enchanted Tales with Belle and even the Jungle Cruise, but attractions like the Haunted Mansion, Barnstormer, Little Mermaid and Pirates of the Caribbean may see standby wait times increase significantly due to the addition of Fastpass+, and the tendency of those who can't get Fastpasses for headliners deferring to those as the "second string." MK has so many more popular (or just low-capacity) attractions that every visitor could get 6 Fastpasses a day in the Magic Kingdom and still not have enough to avoid some very long waits.

HS:
TSMM fastpasses will likely be long gone before rope drop (or immediately after, if some are held over to be obtained the day-of), so there will be a line of panicked parents and children without FPs at rope drop, more determined than ever before to get there because they know there's no chance they'll be able to Fastpass it. It's going to get even more insane. Standby lines at Star Tours, the Great Movie Ride, and the Muppets will likely increase with more people opting to get Fastpasses for them if/when the headliner fastpasses are gone.

Epcot:
Soarin' and Test Track fastpasses, like TSMM, may be gone before rope drop, increasing the desperation of those who don't have them. Standby lines at Nemo, SSE and Mission:Space will increase...

AK:
As the least popular park with only enough popular attractions to fill a single Fastpass+ roster, I imagine it will see the least impact from FP+. I'd Fastpass Expedition Everest and the Safari, and if there is an option to have advance FP+ seating for FOTLK or Nemo, I might do that. The fact is, though, we always hit AK first thing in the morning, so we've never needed to use a single FP there. That may change when we suddenly find all the lines slowed down by new Fastpass+ lanes.

Scary predictions. And then, rioting ensues...

jkl2000

Your list is pretty good but there are two ways to look at this. One is once the program is fully in place and there are no more traditional FastPasses (paper ones) and one is during the current testing. Since the testing is where we currently are, I'll discuss that.

Since you can still get transational FastPasses with your Keys to the Kingdom Cards during the testing, just as everyone else not participating in the testing, the rides that had the original FastPass system aren't always the ones that will get you your biggest bang. The reason is because they STILL have the original FastPass system. There are some attractions that do not give out traditional FastPasses, will have longer waits, and are available for FastPass+ (especially true at MK). Let's face it FassPass is all about quality use of your time. With all this in mind you may want to consider the following list of attractions that tend to have decent wait times:

Animal Kingdom
-Kilaminjaro Safari
-Expedition Everest
-Finding Nemo the Musical (get's you in 5-15 minutes before the show and saves you from getting there real early to get in - this depends on the time of the year)

Epcot
-Test Track
- Soarin
- Illuminations (good viewing without staking a spot 45 minutes in advance).

DHS
-TSMM (Because getting a traditional FastPass can be a pain or difficult before they are gone)
-Tower of Terror and/or RRC (get one or the other and get a traditional FastPass for the other)
-Fantasmic! (good viewing without having to be there a hour or more before - depends on time of the year and how many shows per night they have)

MK (You get 4 FastPass+'s at MK)
-Enchanted Tales with Belle
-Charater Meet and Greets that don't have traditional FastPasses (If that is your thing)
* Ariel Grotto
* Princess Fairytale Hall (This is suppose to have traditional FastPasses but since you can only get one at a time, you my want to get a FastPass+ for one line and a traditional for the other. (This new attraction will probably have huge lines).
-Haunted Mansion
-Parades and Fireworks (good viewing without staking a spot 45 minutes in advance)

Reality is that at AK, EPCOT, and DHS the rides that now have FastPass+, but do not have traditional FastPasses are not a huge need for getting a FastPass, so essentially you can use your FastPass+'s to go on the "big rides" more than once when you combine with traditional FastPasses. Also, my biggest takeaway from our trip in late August was to think outside the box a little on the conventional wisdom that has been used for FastPasses because you can still use the old system and you will come out way ahead. Have fun.

It was NOT giving me 4 Fastpasses for MK, and I don't think FP for parades or fireworks were an option.

UberPlannerMom

Original Poster
Our trip is planned for the end of March so hopefully by then there will be plenty of people with experience with the new system to say what seems to be the most helpful...

WDWYankee15

It was NOT giving me 4 Fastpasses for MK, and I don't think FP for parades or fireworks were an option.

It gives you the option to pick 3 at MK but then it comes up with a "Bonus" FastPass for another attraction when the times choices show up. You can then "Change the Experience" of the "Bonus" FastPass after you pick your times. At least this is how it was during our 10 day trip in August and it seemed to be the same for others that wrote trip reports.

Parades and Fireworks have been only on the weekend so far.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
It gives you the option to pick 3 at MK but then it comes up with a "Bonus" FastPass for another attraction when the times choices show up. You can then "Change the Experience" of the "Bonus" FastPass after you pick your times. At least this is how it was during our 10 day trip in August and it seemed to be the same for others that wrote trip reports.

Parades and Fireworks have been only on the weekend so far.
We are going in October and no bonus FP+ popped up for us either. Maybe it's only on weekends or busier days.

WDWYankee15

We are going in October and no bonus FP+ popped up for us either. Maybe it's only on weekends or busier days.

That is disappointing. I think at MK you need to have more FastPasses then in other parks. There are way more FassPass+ rides there than any of the other parks and also more FassPass worthy rides. Right now with being able to still get traditional FastPass (paper ones) this is not that big of a deal, but when they get to full roll out they will need to adjust. I have heard that the number of FastPasses you get for a day will actually be based upon party size, so it will vary from group to group. We shall see.

WDWYankee15

FYI, my previous post from another thread lists the current attractions that have FastPass+. You can see from this that MK has by far many more FastPass+ attractions.

For those interested, here is the list of Fastpass+ Attractions for the August Testing that came up when my family was booking ours for the last two weeks of August. Also I italicized what appears to be new for this round of testing:
Disney's Animal Kingdom (9 Attractions)
Adventurers Outpost meet and greet
Dinosaur
Expedition Everest
Festival of the Lion King
Finding Nemo: The Musical
It's Tough to be a Bug
Kali River Rapids
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Primeval Whirl
Disney's Hollywood Studios (13 Attractions)
Beatuy & the Beast - Live on Stage
Disney Junior Live on Stage
Fantasmic! (Fri, Sat, & Sunday)
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
Muppet Vision 3D
Rock n Roller Coaster
Star Tours
The American Idol Experience
The Great Movie Ride
Toy Story Mania
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Epcot (12 Attractions)
Captain EO
Character Spot
Journey Into Imagination with Figment
Illuminations: Reflections of Earth (Fri, Sat, & Sunday)
Living with the Land
Maelstrom
Mission: SPACE
Soarin’
Spaceship Earth
Test Track
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Turtle Talk with CRUSH
Magic Kingdom (26 Attractions)
"it's a small world"
Be Our Guest Restaurant (Counter-service meal/Lunch)
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade (Fri, Sat, & Sunday)
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Enchanted Tales with Belle
Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Mad Tea Party
Main Street Electrical Light Parade (Fri, Sat, & Sunday)
Meet Ariel at her Grotto

Mickey's PhilharMagic
Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
Peter Pan's Flight
Pirates of the Caribbean
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
The Barnstormer
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Tomorrowland Speedway
Town Square Theater Mickey Mouse
Town Square Theater Princesses
Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid
Wishes (Fri, Sat, & Sunday)

UberPlannerMom

Original Poster
FYI, my previous post from another thread lists the current attractions that have FastPass+. You can see from this that MK has by far many more FastPass+ attractions.
MK definitely has more fastpass+ options and I imagine that 7DMT will have one too so add that in. Perhaps the thought is that since there is so much to do at MK you will allot more than one day to MK, thereby making your effective fastpass+ number grow by the number of days (3*x with x being number of days so if we go 2 days then we are effectively getting 6 fastpass+ for MK, ya know?) You are still only getting 3 per day but just wondering if that may have been the line of thought they followed...

coltow

When the full roll out occurs will you still be able to opt in/out of FP+? We plan to go next August. On a normal day we are at park at (or close to) rope drop. We generally stay at park til lunch time and would have used 2-3 fast passes in those few hours. Around dinner time we usually park hop some place else and again use another 2-3 fast passes. Being only limited to 3 per day and only one park almost seems like a punishment instead of a perk.

WDWYankee15

When the full roll out occurs will you still be able to opt in/out of FP+? We plan to go next August. On a normal day we are at park at (or close to) rope drop. We generally stay at park til lunch time and would have used 2-3 fast passes in those few hours. Around dinner time we usually park hop some place else and again use another 2-3 fast passes. Being only limited to 3 per day and only one park almost seems like a punishment instead of a perk.

You don't have to participate, but it is believed that when full roll out occurs there will be no "traditional" FastPass system any more. One clue to this being the case is new attractions (Under the Sea and the new Princess Fairytale Hall) do have traditional FastPasses currently, but their distribution is at the place of other attractions (Philharmagic and Peter Pan respectively). Since they did not get their "own" machines is pretty telling.

One would guess that by August of next year that full roll out will have taken place. But who knows

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom