What's the big deal: Soarin

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I'm curious how many people on this board who are all excited about soarin have actually been on it.

I've maybe been on it, umm... about half a dozen times, probably more. And although its an o.k thing, I must say, that, aside from TOT at DCA, its the only major thrill (o.k. there's Screamin).

I guess I'm worried that some folks on this board are getting a little too excited. Its a hot ride, but that's stacked against the competition (in DCA). Tortilla Factory?

Its a nice little ride, but I'm afraid there will be a good chunk of people on this board who will be dissapointed. DCA has no TT or M:S or even SE (which I think rocks, I don't know why). Of course its sold out over there.

Just because its a success over there, doesn't mean that translates to success over here (the long lines).

Time will tell I suppose...but honestly folks, its not that hot of a ride, I don't miss it since moving to the east coast.

Pixie Duster

A lot of guests who have been to California have said to me that they are excited to see it here and feel it will bring some much needed life to "that side of the park".

General Grizz

I really wanna experience it, but please, the least they could do is show courtesy to theme it to the Land instead of changing an original pavilion for an exact clone film. . .

Lee

Adventurer
I've been on it about 10-12 times. I really love it.

The first time I rode it, it seriously took my breath away. Not the thrill factor, because I don't get a ToT kind of thrill from it.
It's the wonderful sensation of...well...soaring over the different landscapes. Even knowing a bit about the ride, I was not prepared for how amazing it was. I boarded...the lights went out...and WHOOOSH! I'm flying over a mountain river, smelling pine trees and feeling wind in my face. Fabulous! I was sad when it was over. My wife and I looked at each other and simultaniously said "Holy $h1t", and immediately got back in line. No other Disney ride has done that to me since Indy.
And it's not that the ride is just good in comparison to what else is at DCA. I like DCA, but Soarin' would be a strong ride even if they had put it in Disneyland.

The only flaws I have ever felt from the attraction:
The queue at DCA is a bit weak.
The confusion of whether you are in a plane or hang-glider.

I have no doubt that it will have a very positive impact on Epcot, perhaps more so than Mission:SPACE, due to it's being more "rider-friendly"

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Pixie Duster said:
A lot of guests who have been to California have said to me that they are excited to see it here and feel it will bring some much needed life to "that side of the park".

Whatever :rolleyes: (glad he has thoughts of his own)

Grizz, I bet you they are going to keep the ending (landing at Disneyland) and call it a tribute to disneyland or something 'spun' like that.

That will be so stupid!

Kadee

I haven't ridden the one is CA, but I am very excited about it coming to WDW. I am happy for all new rides/attractions. I may not like/enjoy them all, but someone does and that is good enough reason to have them. If I'm "let down" then so be it. Some one else won't be.

kammybug

I thought the ride was pretty cool. We went to Disneyland and DCA a couple of years ago and got a chance to ride it then. One thing I didn't like about it was we were on the lowest level of seats and you could see the feet of the people dangling in front of you, somewhat. They told us it was better if you sat in the top row of seats. That way all you could see was the screen in front of you. The best part is flying over Disneyland at night. If memory serves me, it was at night and at Christmas time. Very beautiful. I'm actually looking forward to it coming to Epcot. :)

stitchlvr

I don't think every "new" attraction in WDW has to be a thrill ride. My kids aren't big into the thrill rides, but enjoyed the new additions to WDW since our last visit (Buzz, Philharmagic etc).

I have mixed feelings about the "new" rides being clones. I love the fact that on our next trip to WDW, we will be able to experience Soarin', since we have not been to DL since 96. I do wish/hope there is some difference between DL and WDW's versions to keep them unique to each park they are in. But since it is not likely that we will get to visit either park again soon, it will be nice to know that a version of this ride would be at either park, whichever one we are able to make it to.

It is nice in a lot of ways that Dinosaur compares to the Indy ride, but is different in theme. I don't think Dinosaur is as good as Indy, but the fact that its the same type of ride structurally at least gives the same type of experience, ie clone effect. In that sense I hope Soarin' has its differences, but the same type of experience at either park.

Atta83

I am excited to see it come here to WDW. I have never ridden it at DCA but I am thirlled that it is coming here. Alot of guest are anxiously waiting for it. Not many people can do Mission: Space so hopefully this ride will help out those guest. And it will open up the other side of the park. :)

General Grizz

Lee said:
Epcot's Soarin' will be different...just not right away.

Give it a couple of years.
*sigh* Too bad they have to restructure the whole theme just for these "couple of years. Just doesn't seem too foward-thinking to me. . .

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I think it's nice that it is coming here, but since I've been on it already I'm not looking very forward to it. I won't be rushing out to ride it either. It's a fun ride, but to me it's like M:S--you go on it a couple of times and then it starts to get a bit dull (but in M:S's case, it gets VERY dull).

At least that great orange smell will be here. :)

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Please tell me they are not using the same movie! I mean, that's what the rumors are...but the ending? That will make absolutely no sense. Unless of course they spin it as an 'ode to disneyland' for the 50th (typical).

That is so sad.

Soaring over...California in Florida?

How expensive can it be to shoot a new flick? 5 million? I think it would be killer if they shot different 'agricultural styles' around the world.

Holland, Praries in Canada, Rice paddies...then they'd consistently pump a sewage/manure smell to make it realistic... That would be awesome! :hammer:

PeeplMoovr

I've been on the ride in DCA and I'm very excited about it coming to EPCOT. And I'm glad it's not just another thrill ride. It's thrilling, but not in a ToT or RnRC way. First time I rode it my wife and I sat in the front row, which ends up being the top row, and we were blown away. And I wanted to ride it over and over. (Disclaimer: personal opinion to follow: Unlike M:S, which is now just a kinda neat piece of architecture in EPCOT to me.)
I think it's one ride people should be excited about, so long as they don't expect the most thrilling (read: frightening) experience in WDW. How about we call it "exhilarating" instead and thrilling.
Of course, there are some people that will surely be disappointed by it. Maybe not because their expectations are too high. More likely because some people are never happy.
I just wish they wouldn't change the Land pavilion so much to build the ride.

Atta83

Hey I have only been to California once and never got to see anything so I think that this being California will be cool, I will get to see some sights of California I have never seen. I mean the only way i could see them possibly changing it would to be soarin over the world where you see all the sights or something like that around the world, since you can go visit them in the world showcase. It would kind of be a nice introduction. :)

DigitalDisney

paulcmartens said:
Please tell me they are not using the same movie! I mean, that's what the rumors are...but the ending? That will make absolutely no sense. Unless of course they spin it as an 'ode to disneyland' for the 50th (typical).

That is so sad.

Soaring over...California in Florida?

How expensive can it be to shoot a new flick? 5 million? I think it would be killer if they shot different 'agricultural styles' around the world.

Holland, Praries in Canada, Rice paddies...then they'd consistently pump a sewage/manure smell to make it realistic... That would be awesome! :hammer:
I don't know if I should interpret this as a constructive thought or troll-ish comment.

Duplicates:
Anyways, I don't see the big deal in getting a direct lift from DL/DCA. Many rides at WDW and DL/DCA are very, very similar. Many people only get to experience one Disney complex in their lives, so direct lifts are only problems for a few people. Besides, we're replacing an unsuccessful show with a new E ticket experience. Not only that, but the whole experience may be better here than at DCA. I do like the hangar theme over there, but the queue is definately lacking.

Reridability:
Reridability is very subjective. Since this is a family ride in a park that has gotten a couple huge new thrill rides, I suspect it will be hugely popular. Soarin is popular at DCA, and DCA doesn't pull in anywhere near the same numbers as Epcot. It will be more popular at Epcot because of the nostalgic feel of the orange scent. It will also be popular because it lives up to the spirit of Epcot, being educational and fun but not being a thrill-ride.

Upgradability:
This ride certainly has the opportunity to be upgraded in the future. The only downfall is that it is somewhat of a simulator, so upgrading is slightly more complicated. We never did get a new Body Wars or Star Tours film like we thought we would. On the other hand, TOT has been upgraded 3 or 4 times since it's been opened, so there is hope.

As a final note, don't forget to look at the whole picture here. WDW is getting a massive amount of upgrades here. We're getting Everest (original), City Streets (original), Soarin (lift), Lights Motorcars Action (lift), plus whatever they throw in the 20K lagoon, not to mention the shows (Cinderellabration, etc) and individual ride and show upgrades (Small World, XMas ROE, etc). I don't know about you, but I'm pretty happy with all of this new stuff.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Give it a chance

Having ridden Soarin' a number of times, I believe it can be a real asset. It does allow for a wider range of audience as well. I do hope for Grizz sake that they do properly integrate. As much of the movie is "The California Land" it does/can really fit in with the theme. I agree that I think it needs to loose the aviation subtheme for here.

Pixie Duster Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcmartens
What is your problem with me?
It's not you PD, for whatever reason paulcmartens has been universally trollish as of late.

So, paulcmartens, what's your point? Can't you provide your opinions with less of the personal attacks? :(

Atta83

ClemsonTigger said:
It's not you PD, for whatever reason paulcmartens has been universally trollish as of late.

So, paulcmartens, what's your point? Can't you provide your opinions with less of the personal attacks? :(

I am behind you PD! I dont know why he is attacking......:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom