What's Still On and What's Now Off

UNCgolf

Depends on how short sighted they are. Literally every expense they remove "increases profits". Why not only run 1 monorail, fire half the cleaning staff for the parks, permanently lower hours for all parks to just 8 hours per day, and so on.

Sure, but that's not what I said. I said if they can remove it without losing any revenue. Some of what you said would likely drive away customers. If it wouldn't, well... then you might see that happen. It's pretty unlikely that the Grand Floridian is going to struggle to sell rooms without the orchestra, for example, even though the orchestra made that resort much better.

Current Disney has been pretty clear that the overall guest experience isn't that important to them as long as people keep coming/paying.

TrainsOfDisney

Video here. V1 / Projectionist. Color temperature matters! And watch the spill on those screens, please... 😉
Turn your brightness down! I can’t see my beautiful goons! :)
I don't think it would be that bad if it turned into a higher end amusement park. You make it sound like seasonal amusement parks are bad.
The seasonal parks that I visit have more quality live entertainment than a wdw park at this point. Dollywood has streetmosphere characters, juggling show, 2 different string bands, and a 50’s style acapella group. And that’s not counting the theatre shows, that’s just outdoor atmosphere entertainment.
To be fair, they were specifically hired for EPCOT Center. Layoffs are always awful, but people knew they were hired for one project. I know you know this; I’m just clarifying for everyone else.
That’s not how it reads in Kevin Rafferty’s book.

tirian

That’s not how it reads in Kevin Rafferty’s book.
Not to discredit Rafferty’s real-life experience, but when a small company goes on a hiring spree to build one project, people are foolish to think it’s a long-term job. But I’m looking at it with 2020 eyes. Maybe project-based positions were less common in WDI in the late ‘70s, and the threat of an ending date didn’t occur to anyone. Maybe some of the hires were promised full-time spots and laid off anyway. Sadly, that sort of corporate nonsense happens all the time, and it sucks.

In any case, I’m glad he got re-hired! :)

EDIT: Dollywood’s entertainment is a gem and reflects how WDW used to be.

TrainsOfDisney

In any case, I’m glad he got re-hired!
Me too! He’s the only imagineer that I really respect that I haven’t gotten to see in person at a D23 event. I’m hoping they’ll bring him in to speak like Tony Baxter in the future.

Edit- I haven’t seen Rolly Crump either. Did he ever participate in early D23 expos? I was lucky to see X. And Alice Davis at the first expo I attended.

Sir_Cliff

What if they went to only fireworks and parades in the busy season. Entertainment will come back but I have my doubts for inside resorts due to low ROI. A higher end Cedar Fair park wouldn't be that bad.
Don't you prefer Cedar Fair and places like that to Disney because you prefer roller coasters to slow moving rides past scenery?

That's what puzzles me so much about your apparent upset in threads like this about too much IP in Disney, while in others you defend the Jurassic Park roller coaster at IOA against Disney fans' apparent snobbery about theming. How is anyone supposed to believe that you're sincerely devastated about the loss of the Grand Floridian orchestra, close-up character interactions, or Maelstrom?

I'm sorry, but this is just such a weird account.

Jrb1979

Don't you prefer Cedar Fair and places like that to Disney because you prefer roller coasters to slow moving rides past scenery?

That's what puzzles me so much about your apparent upset in threads like this about too much IP in Disney, while in others you defend the Jurassic Park roller coaster at IOA against Disney fans' apparent snobbery about theming. How is anyone supposed to believe that you're sincerely devastated about the loss of the Grand Floridian orchestra, close-up character interactions, or Maelstrom?

I'm sorry, but this is just such a weird account.
Yes I do like coasters over dark rides and always have. When my child gets old enough to enjoy Disney that will probably change.

As far as the too much IP goes. IMO IP has its place in the parks. Where it bothers me is when the started putting into World Showcase and Epcot. I feel it has ruined what was a great concept. Instead of jamming in IP in Epcot they should worked newer versions of the attractions they had.

It does upset me to see them cut so many things. I'm not a parade person or fireworks person so that doesn't bother me. Its taking away the entertainment at the resorts that I don't like. Just cause I'm not in love with Disney doesn't mean I hate it.

tirian

Me too! He’s the only imagineer that I really respect that I haven’t gotten to see in person at a D23 event. I’m hoping they’ll bring him in to speak like Tony Baxter in the future.

Edit- I haven’t seen Rolly Crump either. Did he ever participate in early D23 expos? I was lucky to see X. And Alice Davis at the first expo I attended.
I’ve never met Rafferty, but I hope I get to one day!

Similar to the first group of Imagineers, the second generation came from a wide variety of backgrounds and creative experience. Combined with the “old-timers,” they pushed Disney’s theme park experiences to heights rarely matched afterwards.

MadTeacup

I’ve never met Rafferty, but I hope I get to one day!

Similar to the first group of Imagineers, the second generation came from a wide variety of backgrounds and creative experience. Combined with the “old-timers,” they pushed Disney’s theme park experiences to heights rarely matched afterwards.
I was fortunate enough to participate in a conversation he held during the time of MMRR's grand opening. It was very cool being a part of the conversation and hearing his very passionate stories and explanations for many of his projects. I even left with a free signed copy of his book! If you ever get an opportunity to meet him, please do.

Surfin' Tuna

I even left with a free signed copy of his book! If you ever get an opportunity to meet him, please do.
Man, I also left a conversation with the man with a free, signed book. All of a sudden I am feeling less special :(

In all seriousness, he is a great guy and was part of a good group of imagineers. Maybe the (distant) future holds another group of great imagineers and management willing to let them dream, design, and actually build something great again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom