What's Still On and What's Now Off

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The reduction in menu choices, the homogenization, the downgrading of ingredients, the overuse of frozen Sysco-type stuff. It's just a massive downgrade.

Last time we visited 'Ohana we were talking about how they used to have 4-5 skewer options, including white meat chicken, turkey and sausage, along with house made sauces. Now it's relegated to dark meat thighs, fatty steak and the still decent shrimp only, with bottled sauce. It's all because of the DDP.

Let's also not forget how ridiculous it is that guests staying at a hotel can't often get a reservation at their own resort's restaurant for breakfast, which is something that's pretty unheard of anywhere else. Staying at the Polynesian and feel like 'Ohana or Tonga Toast? Sorry they're full. The only reason The Wave is a thing is because convention guests were getting furious there was nowhere for a typical "should we go down for breakfast?" type breakfast.

The restaurants where you CAN get same day reservations are all second-tier restaurants, because the Disney Springs portfolio has lured all the non-DDP guests away with better quality experiences and food options.
I just can’t say the same thing about the dangers of the dining plan anymore...it’s been too long and too many times...

...thanks for recapping it for me 😉

TrojanUSC

For sure, notice how property wide all the restaurants have some type of horrible brisket now on most all menus? And the only veg option everywhere is cheap hard green beans...they are just buying the same ingredients and using them everywhere to save costs, none of the restaurants can run their own location like they use to except for some of the third party ones.... Ohana still has some good moments but certainly agree with your points. I wont even start on the wrecking of Le Cellier because of DDP,, and the list goes on.

Exactly. Back in the 90s they hired a F&B executive named Dieter Hannig, who is really credited with bringing food up to a pretty amazing level at WDW. His strategy was to allow the restaurant chefs and leadership to really focus on creating menus that allowed for individuality between venues. It worked wonders. Food at Disney in the 90s and early 00s was outstanding. Then came the DDP. Everything started becoming homogenized.

There's still some wiggle room with signature restaurants (its why Yachtsman, CG and V&A are the only ones still baking their own bread), but for the most part everything is sourced in bulk and restaurants work with what they are given. This is also part of the reason Hannig left the company.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly. Back in the 90s they hired a F&B executive named Dieter Hannig, who is really credited with bringing food up to a pretty amazing level at WDW. His strategy was to allow the restaurant chefs and leadership to really focus on creating menus that allowed for individuality between venues. It worked wonders. Food at Disney in the 90s and early 00s was outstanding. Then came the DDP. Everything started becoming homogenized.

There's still some wiggle room with signature restaurants (its why Yachtsman, CG and V&A are the only ones still baking their own bread), but for the most part everything is sourced in bulk and restaurants work with what they are given. This is also part of the reason Hannig left the company.
We’re off course...but I have to post this link. Including the comments from Scott who is a truly great Chef and good guy. Few better people every worked in Orlando.

Can’t believe this article is 12 years old now...one of my favorites all time.

TrojanUSC

I'm confused doesn't Disney Springs take ddp?

Yes but there most of the restaurants aren't owned/operated by Disney. Also, only a small portion of the guests at places like The Boathouse or Homecomin' are on DDP, which necessitates them to have slightly more reasonable cash prices while maintaining a better quality product. DS is about luring locals almost as much as it is tourists.

We’re off course...but I have to post this link. Including the comments from Scott who is a truly great Chef and good guy. Few better people every worked in Orlando.

Can’t believe this article is 12 years old now...one of my favorites all time.

Love this article, I remember reading it when it came out. The change in quality is staggering. Even places that shouldn't have been great - like Chef Mickey's - perfectly good quality with a lot of house-made stuff. Now it's all pre-prepped garbage.

TrainsOfDisney

I never paid for any of that stuff. The “15 minutes a day” stuff...I don’t think the value ever came from that...and when people - ahem - started to overemphasize that stuff, they have cranked the price into the lower ionosphere and the value became secondary to such things. Just me.

Well what did you pay for? Or were you talking about parades and fireworks specifically?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well what did you pay for? Or were you talking about parades and fireworks specifically?
Yes...I think they specifically became a diversion that were pushed as marquee as the late Eisner/Iger regimes failed to follow industry standards to update on a reasonable schedule to avoid park stagnation...which is unavoidable if you do not.

Why was Epcot bombed out? Why did studios languish and now is not much farther ahead when it’s “brand new” again? Why did animal kingdom limp along for 19 years before any substantive reinvestment?

All roads lead back to Rome.

I think parades, fireworks and festivals should be the “bonus” to get you to pay $125...not the draw.

It is what it is...the masses have made their choices.

disney4life2008

Not just at table service restaurants... I used to be able to get a really good grilled mahi sandwich at.... Pop Century food court! Now? You can get pre made foil wrapped burgers or chicken sandwiches.

A few hidden gems remain like Spyglass Grill at Carribean Beach though.

It's not just pop. I don't know what happened. I used to find the resort burgers to be delicious as they were made to order. Sports for example was top notch. Then suddenly they start mass cooking the burgers and wrapping in foil. They also got rid of the chicken breast nuggets and increased the price. Got rid of the chili cheese fries. I used to go there and eat after a day in the parks but no more.

wannabeBelle

It's not just pop. I don't know what happened. I used to find the resort burgers to be delicious as they were made to order. Sports for example was top notch. Then suddenly they start mass cooking the burgers and wrapping in foil. They also got rid of the chicken breast nuggets and increased the price. Got rid of the chili cheese fries. I used to go there and eat after a day in the parks but no more.
Amen. The child's hamburger at Coronado a few years back was AMAZING. About a year later I had gotten it again and it was truly awful!!! I thought it was just a fluke but it happened a second time. I spoke with a manager and he did replace the meal but the fact still stands that I am sure a less costly product was used. The first one tasted like a burger you'd have at a backyard BBQ. The second tasted like flavored mush. To be fair I havent tried the adult burger which some have told me is great. I will say I had breakfast at Rix's Sports Bar and Grill was pretty amazing. I had the brioche french toast there. A great option for a nice sit down breakfast, which I prefer in the morning. Marie

peter11435

Amen. The child's hamburger at Coronado a few years back was AMAZING. About a year later I had gotten it again and it was truly awful!!! I thought it was just a fluke but it happened a second time. I spoke with a manager and he did replace the meal but the fact still stands that I am sure a less costly product was used. The first one tasted like a burger you'd have at a backyard BBQ. The second tasted like flavored mush. To be fair I havent tried the adult burger which some have told me is great. I will say I had breakfast at Rix's Sports Bar and Grill was pretty amazing. I had the brioche french toast there. A great option for a nice sit down breakfast, which I prefer in the morning. Marie
Just a point of clarification. Those locations are third party and not Disney run. All food service at CSR is third party except the new locations at Gran Destino and Three Bridges.

TrainsOfDisney

Yes...I think they specifically became a diversion that were pushed as marquee as the late Eisner/Iger regimes failed to follow industry standards to update on a reasonable schedule to avoid park stagnation...which is unavoidable if you do not.

Why was Epcot bombed out? Why did studios languish and now is not much farther ahead when it’s “brand new” again? Why did animal kingdom limp along for 19 years before any substantive reinvestment?

All roads lead back to Rome.

I think parades, fireworks and festivals should be the “bonus” to get you to pay $125...not the draw.

It is what it is...the masses have made their choices.

I’m confused though... what is worth paying the admission for?

I don’t know Disney parks without parades and fireworks... when we visited when I was in 5th grade 2 of the highlights of the trip for me was the toy story parade at studios and the original Illuminations.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Just a point of clarification. Those locations are third party and not Disney run. All food service at CSR is third party except the new locations at Gran Destino and Three Bridges.

This seems as good a place as any to ask a question I've asked a couple of times before and never gotten a response -- how much control does Disney retain over the third party locations in the parks (and resorts too, I guess)? I'm sure the vendors don't have free rein. Does Disney have to approve everything from the menu down to the specific pricing, or do the vendors have some leeway on prices etc.?

disney4life2008

Quick service wise the only thing Disney is consistent with is Casey's hot dogs. That is a win.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m confused though... what is worth paying the admission for?
The rides and shows- BS aside it is an amusement park...the consistency in theming and presentation...good employees and solid artistic performers...very good quality restaurants (the key difference in Orlando for many years) that make The whole package superior to the competition...

...it’s the little things for me 😎

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom