What's Still On and What's Now Off

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or it shows that they’ve created a park with a slate of very popular attractions that are drawing many guests. I have been going to DHS my whole life and have never seen the park as busy as it has been the last year.
It’s got 1/3 -1/2 the functional space of the other 3...

Trying putting 30 mil annually into MK or 25 mil annually into EPCOT or DAK and see how it plays...

It’s not so much “crowds”...it’s capacity that is determined by several factors...one of them is space.

Space just became a big damn deal

EricsBiscuit

It’s got 1/3 -1/2 the functional space of the other 3...

Trying putting 30 mil annually into MK or 25 mil annually into EPCOT or DAK and see how it plays...

It’s not so much “crowds”...it’s capacity that is determined by several factors...one of them is space.

Space just became a big damn deal
Disney’s critics will look at every other possible explanation other than the obvious one because it reflects well on Disney’s management. It seems fairly obvious to me that DHS is experiencing higher attendance because they just opened billions of dollars worth of new attractions in the last 3 years. Disney has done a fantastic job renovating that park into something far more relevant than it ever was.

_caleb

Put in all the virtual queues you want, scrub every ride vehicle after each ride - people are still going to have to be near eachother in (reduced) lines or half-filled pre-shows. Because of this, those "mitigation effects," will wind up being like security at the front of the parks, 80% theater.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

Yeah, I’m thinking Disney will have to make much bigger changes to the parks than just wiping down ride vehicles between guests. I think they will eventually need to redesign the parks entirely. They could install sanitizing wash tunnels on every ride. Paint every surface with antimicrobial paint. Get rid of queues completely (not sure how). Add compartmentalized spaces from which to watch shows. Find some creative ways to space people apart.

Maybe I’m wrong, but the pandemic just seems to have revealed a huge vulnerability to Disney’s business(s), and I think they’re going to have to change everything about the resort/theme park/cruise model in order to prevent this (or the next) outbreak from threatening their bottom line.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, I’m thinking Disney will have to make much bigger changes to the parks than just wiping down ride vehicles between guests. I think they will eventually need to redesign the parks entirely. They could install sanitizing wash tunnels on every ride. Paint every surface with antimicrobial paint. Get rid of queues completely (not sure how). Add compartmentalized spaces from which to watch shows. Find some creative ways to space people apart.

Maybe I’m wrong, but the pandemic just seems to have revealed a huge vulnerability to Disney’s business(s), and I think they’re going to have to change everything about the resort/theme park/cruise model in order to prevent this (or the next) outbreak from threatening their bottom line.
The idea that tens of millions of travelers will be trouncing though Anaheim and Orlando in masks while the college programmers Clorox wipe everything they reach...is just a tad off the ledge. Just my opinion.

peter11435

This is in no way an attempt to trivialize the current pandemic, but don’t forget it’s not the first or deadliest the world has ever seen. The Spanish flu killed millions just 100 years ago. It’s aftermath didn’t prevent the growth of the resort/theme park/cruise model. Walt Disney himself lived through that pandemic but it didn’t stop him from beginning a tourism enterprise.

TrojanUSC

Humans have had recreational places in much more dirtier, more crowded, environments without the modern day tech we have now for thousands of years.

I'm not a scientist or a doctor, but if newer regulations are adopted by companies like Disney, I think it'll be more of a comestic/theatre and less about protecting health genuinely.

COVID-19 will become like the flu where it's just in the general population. Sucks that you might get infected if you're in a crowded area but that's with most viruses. I agree that shutting down the country is an agreeable solution for a month or two for the healthcare system to not get overwhelmed and buy time to research treatment methods, but there's nothing we can do now.

All the santizer in the World will not stop someone from a different state/country/tourist having it and being there, which is bound to happen in incredibly busy places like Disney World or NYC.

Exactly. I posted earlier in this thread it would all be theater. COVID-19's primary route of transportation is person to person (as referenced in that grim article about the choir from Washington who all got infected and nobody touched the same surface).

Whatever changes that are made would be purely for optics (no crowded fireworks for a while) and guest peace of mind.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is in no way an attempt to trivialize the current pandemic, but don’t forget it’s not the first or deadliest the world has ever seen. The Spanish flu killed millions just 100 years ago. It’s aftermath didn’t prevent the growth of the resort/theme park/cruise model. Walt Disney himself lived through that pandemic but it didn’t stop him from beginning a tourism enterprise.
Good grief...

It’s not WW1...we’ve “come up” with a few things since...like the refrigerator and sliced bread...

And I had thought the stupidity of the flu comparison was done by now? You’re not Teddy Roosevelt with the tough guy routine.

The entire United States - save for a few fools - is locked in their house...and at last count this country controls 80% of the money on earth through one form or another.

They’re looking for bodies to pile up over the next month...can we please not use dismissal as a bad replacement for intelligence?

Come on...talk about moving forward...not ignoring the present with a straw man.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What kind of lead time WDW would need to reopen? Say social distancing ended tomorrow, has everything been maintained enough to open everything up Friday? EPCOT seems to be the one that'll take the most time, due to World Showcase and all that, but I suppose they can just open Future World.
7 days plus.
Or it shows that they’ve created a park with a slate of very popular attractions that are drawing many guests. I have been going to DHS my whole life and have never seen the park as busy as it has been the last year.
”Busy” has so many variables as has talked about numerous times before. This the is park where they built two “headline” attractions based on arguably the most popular IP ever - that combined have less capacity than the Peoplemover, in the smallest park for walking space.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

Indeed. I’ve said it elsewhere that one of the few good things to come out of this might be salvaging some sense for what happens to the park.

The new entrance will happen
The kids get their 120 second coaster (shame but hey)
France gets a new marketable attraction that can be forgotten about if one wants to
The park will get a new night time show - for better or for worse - eventually.
SSE will have to see what’s left and what can be done with what’s available.

So far as I know new China CV footage should have been shot before CV19 reared it’s ugly head. How it’ll be projected remains to be seen.

Hopefully the spine project is reassessed and more sense prevails.
So the "story" coaster" is only 2-minutes long? If so, maybe it should be a considered a "short-story" coaster.

PorterRedkey

In addition to respiratory droplets from just talking, there are more surfaces than what is just on a ride.

Sure, a CM can quickly wipe a lap bar and a handle... but can they wipe down all the seats and the exterior of every vehicle that a guest might have touched? And how can they do that with an omnimover?

And then they'll need to be *constantly* wiping down every hand rail for the length of every queue. Every counter at every quickserve and store. Every product in every store that someone picks up and puts back.

Every transportation vehicle: monorail, bus, ferry, and gondola would need a wipe down.

Parks will open only when distancing constraints and crowd size limits are removed. If no vaccine, you'll have to wait 'til a majority of people have had CV and recovered and there's enough herd immunity to deal the the constant but low level critical cases.
The last section of all rides will be one long UV light tunnel. I am only half-joking, but there is a UV light that can kill some germs without harming humans. Wheather it works on Covid-19, idk, but if I was Disney, I would be looking into something along these lines for sanitation.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

if this is the case... then we might as well redesign the whole world entirely because social distancing can't and won't really be possible

drizgirl

Sure, a CM can quickly wipe a lap bar and a handle... but can they wipe down all the seats and the exterior of every vehicle that a guest might have touched? And how can they do that with an omnimover?
Put cast members in hazmat suits in every other omnimover car to thoroughly wipe down the car during the ride. Exit as the ride ends and do the cars everyone just got out of. o_O

_caleb

if this is the case... then we might as well redesign the whole world entirely because social distancing can't and won't really be possible
Isn’t that what’s happening? The whole world IS being redesigned in response to the challenges we face. Social distancing is but one way to mitigate risk of contagion.

disney4life2008

Correct me if I am wrong but has star wars hotel formally start taking reservations? If not, it will just lay unfinished like legendary years until Disney decides to continue. While it would be a loss, star wars fans still have an entire land..

disney4life2008

May not be a formal government set parameter, just a general recommendation. And then it's up to Disney how to best implement those parameters. Why would Disney voluntarily enforce parameters? Because failing to do so would be negligent..... Because thousands of guests contracting Coronavirus would be a public relations nightmare and could lead to billions in negligence lawsuits.

Or considering how reliant Florida, and specifically the Orlando area, are on theme parks -- Wouldn't be surprised to see State and local government and the theme parks work together to establish parameters. Parameters that include maximum attendance, restaurant density, mask requirements, hand washing requirements, etc.

I fully expect there to be steps to reduce social density and reduce disease transmission. I don't know to what extent those steps will be government mandated and to what extent they will be "voluntary."

Theme parks are important but I would say specifically to Orlando area. The state of Florida has other benefits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom