What's Still On and What's Now Off

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Most states have or will exclude construction from shutdown orders...

New Jersey - amazingly - did that from the start. They were under union/business pressure...but the rationale is still sound.

They basically said there is zero “work from home” potential in construction. They have a point. Most is not “direct contact” Activity either.

Kman101

...and they did that because they pretty much had to.

No they didn't. You can social distance with construction, in many cases. They can't have a couple of painters in a bucket? Of course they can. Universal hasn't stopped. That's the difference. You could of course argue Disney just didn't want to deal with "only 10 people" thing but ....

And the fact is, Disney cuts. They do. When the going gets tough, they cut. Why can't some folks see this? I'm no Universal shill, believe me, but they are handling this 1000x better.

They ADDRESSED their projects. It's called TRANSPARENCY. Disney doesn't give us that.

rowrbazzle

No they didn't. You can social distance with construction, in many cases. They can't have a couple of painters in a bucket? Of course they can. Universal hasn't stopped. That's the difference. You could of course argue Disney just didn't want to deal with "only 10 people" thing but ....

And the fact is, Disney cuts. They do. When the going gets tough, they cut. Why can't some folks see this? I'm no Universal shill, believe me, but they are handling this 1000x better.

They ADDRESSED their projects. It's called TRANSPARENCY. Disney doesn't give us that.

Well said. I was under the impression that Disney didn't really have a choice. This is disappointing to hear, but I guess it's not surprising.

HauntedMansionFLA

Most states have or will exclude construction from shutdown orders...

New Jersey - amazingly - did that from the start. They were under union/business pressure...but the rationale is still sound.

They basically said there is zero “work from home” potential in construction. They have a point. Most is not “direct contact” Activity either.
At least finish painting the castle and each of the parks new entrances.

disney4life2008

Meanwhile ... Universal says projects will stay on track. SMH. They're handling this 10000x better.

I really don't think they abandon that many projects forever. Halting them for a year or two? Sure. I'd buy that. What happens to Epcot? lol. Some of this makes sense and some of it doesn't.

If you think since Comcast or NBC I don't which is the owner took over universal parks they have made substantial improvements to the parks especially in Orlando. It's interesting because as much as we complain about universal, they really have done a great job of being transparent. Out of curiosity, what population makes up universal Orlando employees? Is it like Disney with alot of out of towers and international or locals?

On Disney side, I understand why they have to be cautious. There are numerous moving parts and one false move could end them. Regardless how much capital they have, they can't afford a pr nightmare. While I am sad to head about epcot, i will say again they should just keep it closed anyway.

Kman101

If you think since Comcast or NBC I don't which is the owner took over universal parks they have made substantial improvements to the parks especially in Orlando. It's interesting because as much as we complain about universal, they really have done a great job of being transparent. Out of curiosity, what population makes up universal Orlando employees? Is it like Disney with alot of out of towers and international or locals?

On Disney side, I understand why they have to be cautious. There are numerous moving parts and one false move could end them. Regardless how much capital they have, they can't afford a pr nightmare. While I am sad to head about epcot, i will say again they should just keep it closed anyway.

Agreed with you. I wish they'd do more with the Studios itself but I'm guessing things got shuffled when they went ahead with Epic Universe so I can wait. I don't love all of their additions, and I've often disliked Comcast and their horrible customer service, but they have really been transparent when it comes to their theme parks. Despite the name, I'm really excited for their third park. They seem to understand even just having four lands you can do a lot with them. Disney used to.

I'd like to know the numbers for Universal as well. I *feel* like it's more locals with a growing tourist/out-of-country base that's growing but I have no data. Of course folks walking around with a passholder lanyard doesn't mean they're all from Florida, either, so ... lol. I'd be curious to know. Universal just feels more like a 'locals' park to me.

Kman101

Well said. I was under the impression that Disney didn't really have a choice. This is disappointing to hear, but I guess it's not surprising.

I mean, If I'm wrong on the construction I'd be more than willing to admit it, lol. But it does appear Universal isn't stopping. Maybe not going full force, but I imagine there are things that can be done reasonably. I'm guessing a lot of factors play into these things too so maybe there's more to the story and depends on the company they contracted to work for them?

Chef Mickey

The situation is serious enough that there is real talk about abandoning Guardians and letting it just sit for potentially years. Right now it's still on... but if there's a scenario where Disney can't open through the summer... the whole company could at that point be faced with bankruptcy.
Disney is not going to be bankrupt because they can't open WDW by September. That is the most ridiculous statement made so far.

FigmentForver96

Yeah. I have a hard time believing all of those projects will be abandoned completely. I think they'll evaluate where they are on construction and spending, personally, but who knows. Meanwhile, Universal has no plans to stop their investments. Says everything, doesn't it ... Regardless of the parks losing money by not being open, Disney can afford to do all of that and more.
IM not one to even get in these discussions but Disney doesn’t really owe anyone anything right now when it comes to discussing future projects. When the parks reopen and things are moving again, sure, but them halting construction and being quiet seems like something any business would do. Universal is also way more quiet about future projects meaning there is plenty of future investments they can mothball because they just haven’t talked about them and nobody will be aware. I have nothing against the OP but this is all uncharted territory for the theme parks. Similar to 9/11 and 2008 in some ways but nothing like this. Nobody even knows how long the parks are going to be closed at this point. When we Are months down the road and previously announced projects have not started, then we can raise some flags but it just seems way to early.

UNCgolf

Disney is not going to be bankrupt because they can't open WDW by September. That is the most ridiculous statement made so far.

I don't think they will be bankrupt either, but it wouldn't just be WDW. It's every park worldwide. They're also getting no box office returns for any movies and I'm sure their merchandise sales have fallen off a cliff as well.

They also must be getting far less ad revenue from ESPN than they normally would, although that would be at least partially offset by not having to pay licensing fees to broadcast events that aren't happening.

Chef Mickey

Good thing nobody made that statement then!
"the whole company could at that point be faced with bankruptcy. "

I mean, is the qualifier "could" just enough to make it a prediction that can be quickly retracted?

WDW being closed only means they will largely not get the revenue. If the issues continue, they can largely cut costs to the bone and they still have media networks (and won't have to pay for sports that aren't playing).

A situation of prolonged shutdown likely just means people will be laid off, costs will be cut, and they won't make much revenue. I don't see a scenario with them continually bleeding cash to pay for stuff. No operations means a lot fewer costs too.

That said, this sucks.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

I don't think they will be bankrupt either, but it wouldn't just be WDW. It's every park worldwide. They're also getting no box office returns for any movies and I'm sure their merchandise sales have fallen off a cliff as well.

They also must be getting far less ad revenue from ESPN than they normally would, although that would be at least partially offset by not having to pay licensing fees to broadcast events that aren't happening.
They were getting less money from ESPN because of the cord cutters. Now that division is really hurting with no major sporting events going on.
They should broadcast putt putt golf

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom