What's Still On and What's Now Off

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
and what does this mean for prices? I have a trip booked for mid-june having paid full price for park tickets with park hopper. surely they understand that limiting rides and shutting down an entire park means they can't be charging the same amount?
I believe they are offering full refunds for trips booked through June 30th?

Might want to think about taking that and see what happens?

Stripes

Kids, this is why you don’t spend $50 billion+ on stock buybacks.
By that logic anything the company did that reduced liquidity is a bad thing.

Classic damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Companies are told to stop hoarding cash, but when they distribute it to shareholders/owners they're told to stop doing that too. And if they decided that there was productive investments to be made in the company, now that a sudden, unexpected crisis comes along we get mad at them for reducing their liquidity.

disney4life2008

and what does this mean for prices? I have a trip booked for mid-june having paid full price for park tickets with park hopper. surely they understand that limiting rides and shutting down an entire park means they can't be charging the same amount?

Well all these discussions are hypothetical. Unless they open everything back up to 100 percent, I am pretty sure Disney will likely do Disney gift card refunds.

skimbob

Only time will tell what will happen. My next trip comes up in September. We will see where things are at by then. I got my ADRs without a problem.

skiir97

I mean Epcot needs all the cast members from the other countries. I assume they wouldn't be able to come over for a long while so makes sense.

Well....if worst comes to worst....they don't really need cast members from other countries. They can just use local cast members. Yah it would ruin the point of World Showcase but it would still bring in money.

skiir97

Regarding AOA/POP, there were probably other issues no known to the public. I was on a hotel project that didn’t have have the correct fire protection for deaf/blind, and it delayed the opening six months before it opened. I wouldnt be surprised if the economy at the time, and contractor issues, rendered the building unable to acquire a certificate of occupancy.

Only two towers of The Legendary Years were barely built before they were abandoned. I think the issue was as simple as 9/11 causing tourism to drop to the point where Disney didn't need the extra rooms.

Josh Hendy

I think the big complaint about stock buybacks in the last few years is that many large companies borrowed money to do it. It's one of the biggest scams ever. But perfectly legal.

I don't know if Disney was guilty of this but I don't think they were one of the worst offenders.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Classic damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Companies are told to stop hoarding cash, but when they distribute it to shareholders/owners they're told to stop doing that too. And if they decided that there was productive investments to be made in the company, now that a sudden, unexpected crisis comes along we get mad at them for reducing their liquidity.
It’s artificially boosting price in a public market.

I think “damned if you do” is the general right perception on this one. There are few “positives” that can be defended.

Stripes

I think the big complaint about stock buybacks in the last few years is that many large companies borrowed money to do it. It's one of the biggest scams ever. But perfectly legal.

I don't know if Disney was guilty of this but I don't think they were one of the worst offenders.

I'm not at all suggesting that buybacks are always positive. I'm not suggesting that at all.

I think it's odd that pundits and political figures get pushed out of shape regarding buybacks but don't utter a peep when it comes to dividends, which serve exactly the same purpose. Could it be that buybacks don't result in as much tax revenue as dividends, given that investors have the option of selling, often without much of a gain, while they don't have the option of refusing a dividend?

I do think some companies have gone overboard. I don't think Disney is one of them.
It’s artificially boosting price in a public market.
I don't understand how basic economics is "artificial" but okay.
3-3%20Equilbrium_08.jpg

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
but if there's a scenario where Disney can't open through the summer... the whole company could at that point be faced with bankruptcy.
I’m sorry but that’s nonsense.

Their last 10-Q showed them with something like $80 billion dollars in equity they could borrow against before they went chapter 11. Parks and Resorts have ANNUAL expenses of $17 billion (source: 10-K). And that’s when they’re running. Studio $8 billion/year, again, when it’s running.

They could sit quietly for a LONG time before we’re taking bankruptcy.

Lets not get sensationalist.

rowrbazzle

Coincidentally I just got a Touring Plans update for my May and August Trips. May is for Memorial Day weekend. May was slightly down mostly 1-2 points per day per park. August was way up 4 went to 10 etc.

The parks may not even be open and if they are no one knows what they'll be like. But TP if still out there making crowd predictions. Now, that's funny.

the.dreamfinder

I understand the dislike of stock buybacks on these pages, but it's not the same as just "not saving" or spending money on frivolous things for an individual person. It's more eqivalent to paying off your mortgage early than buying an unneeded car.

I mean, if the issue is that stick buybacks has limited available cash, couldn't the company just.... sell more stock to raise money? Yes, it might not be sold for as much as it was bought, but it still would be an avenue to raise cash if needed.

It’s not unreasonable for a company of Disney’s size, and given the inherent vulnerability of the parks to things like pandemics/wars/recessions/energy crises, to have a rainy day fund.

It must be noted Iger, CFO Staggs and P&R head Rasulo seriously considered selling the parks because of the aforementioned issues in the late aughts/early teens. The parks are a very good business, but you need to operate them with the understanding, and the responsibility, that comes with those assets.

Rteetz

The DVC would be easy to abandon, they haven't even started vertical construction yet.
Still could utilize the new stables though which are nearing completion. I could see some changes to the Reflections property but DVC and deluxe resorts sell well and make the company money. Obviously will be a struggle for some after we get out of this to afford to go to WDW but I think many of those people weren’t staying deluxe at WDW as it was. We have seen that shift to an upper middle class focus over the last few years.

Stripes

It’s not unreasonable for a company of Disney’s size, and given the inherent vulnerability of the parks to things like pandemics/wars/recessions/energy crises, to have a rainy day fund.
I agree. But as @Castastone pointed out, the company can absolutely weather this storm. They have the resources to do so. Talk about bankruptcy is sensationalist.

I absolutely respect WDW Pro, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't skeptical of the original post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom