What's Still On and What's Now Off

wishiwere@wdw

I know I said I wouldn't be posting anything during the pandemic, but I received some information about the severity of cuts coming for projects at WDW. I thought I'd make a brief post about that, although there are much more important issues in the world today. I likely won't be checking in often for conversation, but I may reply from time to time.

What's Likely to Be Completed:
  • Tron Coaster
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster
  • Cinderella Castle Retheme
  • Ratatouille
  • Space 220
What's Likely to Be Delayed:
  • Innoventions Demo
  • MFSR Update
  • Harmonious
What's Currenty Being Looked at for Abandonment:
  • Mary Poppins Expansion
  • Moana Expansion
  • Unannounced Journey Into Imagination Upgrade
  • Star Wars Hotel
  • Galaxy's Edge Expansions / Upgrades
  • Spaceship Earth Refurb
  • Wonders of Life Pavilion Retheme
  • Coco Attraction
  • Reflections Lakeside Lodge
  • Every other potential addition not listed here
Furthermore, Disney is currently working on a plan for what re-opening WDW looks like. Every week it is shut down, it becomes more difficult to reopen. In the best case scenario where WDW can be reopened in May, while still taking massive precautions during a global pandemic, this is the general outline:

Magic Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No parades, no fireworks, no indoor theaters, significant number of rides down.
Epcot not currently planned to reopen with the other parks.
DHS reopens with 40% capacity. No parades, no indoor theaters.
Animal Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No indoor theaters.
No plans to reopen Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon in the near term.
All ride vehicles would require mandatory wipe down once in station.
No character meets.
Distancing encouraged.
Thanks for your bravery jumping in here with this lol. It’s appreciated. Being that this gets extremely close with what I had heard quite a few days ago (which freaks me out even more), I’m curious if you are also hearing that the intention is for cast to start reporting on the 18th with a planned phased opening on the 20th? I’m honestly still not sure I believe it with how messed up things just got here in Orange County but I guess anything is possible.

RememberWhen

Coincidentally I just got a Touring Plans update for my May and August Trips. May is for Memorial Day weekend. May was slightly down mostly 1-2 points per day per park. August was way up 4 went to 10 etc.
Got one from them today for my October trip and it was the same. Days that were 2-4 are now 7-9 for the entire trip.
Our mid-September trip is exponentially up, as well.
Same for my trip in July. First half of the month crowd predictions jumped up by a couple points most days. But there’s really no way to predict what’s going to happen. We don’t have a definite re-opening date. We don’t know what will be open. Limbo isn’t a fun place to be.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Coincidentally I just got a Touring Plans update for my May and August Trips. May is for Memorial Day weekend. May was slightly down mostly 1-2 points per day per park. August was way up 4 went to 10 etc.
Same for my trip in July. First half of the month crowd predictions jumped up by a couple points most days. But there’s really no way to predict what’s going to happen. We don’t have a definite re-opening date. We don’t know what will be open. Limbo isn’t a fun place to be.

They have an explainer:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Still could utilize the new stables though which are nearing completion. I could see some changes to the Reflections property but DVC and deluxe resorts sell well and make the company money. Obviously will be a struggle for some after we get out of this to afford to go to WDW but I think many of those people weren’t staying deluxe at WDW as it was. We have seen that shift to an upper middle class focus over the last few years.
Disney insulated themselves from some of the damage by going after the higher margin guest, many of which may not be affected by current events. But also the ability to return an investment will be the criteria for what goes and what stays. That's why I was surprised by the axing of the DVC and SW Hotel. Festival Center, Play pavilion, and Mary Poppins aren't going to be big money makers so their cutback doesn't surprise me.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
@lentesta we're talking about you, any insights?

ToTBellHop

Ok, let’s unpack the deets from the guy who is certain Covid-19 is a biological weapon from China.

1) yes, the parks will reopen like that. I said so a week ago
2) there are no serious discussions of “abandoning” GotG. Give me a break. Delay a quarter? Sure
3) Epcot will get “finished”, but projects on the fringes could get delayed a bit, like Play. The spine must be finished and will be
4) no indoor shows, dining cuts, remove buffets, add BGs to more rides, cut face characters—all true, like I said a week ago
5) not opening all four parks would be news to me
6) rooms will be pulled at resorts to help in distancing and “clean what we are using”
7) thermal scanners under consideration but serious concerns—this ain’t China. In the USA, they struggle to get people to stop bringing guns in!
8) wiping vehicles isn’t as bad as you’d think for capacity. They better start hoarding Clorox wipes now...

Rteetz

Disney insulated themselves from some of the damage by going after the higher margin guest, many of which may not be affected by current events. But also the ability to return an investment will be the criteria for what goes and what stays. That's why I was surprised by the axing of the DVC and SW Hotel. Festival Center, Play pavilion, and Mary Poppins aren't going to be big money makers so their cutback doesn't surprise me.
Which is why I would be hesitant to believe they are cut for good. Things are rapidly changing in this environment.

el_super

Which is why I have serious doubts about the OP's information and the use of the term "abandoned"

Disney is usually pretty thorough with their disaster planning. I suppose they could be planning a worst case scenario where construction resources are not available for months... But yeah this whole thing doesn't sound right.

ToTBellHop

Disney is usually pretty thorough with their disaster planning. I suppose they could be planning a worst case scenario where construction resources are not available for months... But yeah this whole thing doesn't sound right.
Yes. Now if they stay closed into summer, all bets are off. Parks being closed, ESPN showing rock skipping competitions, and summer blockbusters being delayed will compound the issue.

celluloid

Think about how good this is that we had Avatar, toy story, Star Wars, Mickey ride all done. And Ratatouille, Guardians, and Trojan close to completion. If this happened a few years ago it would be much different....

I appreciate the positive. Just think of what would happened if all of these changes would have come in the last ten years as they should have rather than the last four. We could have been fitting a few more E tickets in there.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I could see operational items, shows, maintenance, and other stuff that TDO would have direct control being gutted without a second thought. But What is being talked about are big number CAPEX projects. These are things that have profound financial and also to an extent legal implications for TWDC. And for within the span of two weeks say they are being abandoned just doesn't pass the smell test. It may be that this could be part of the "Oh $h!t" list, but canceling projects this big would need to go to the very top of the company and I don't think these decisions would have been made this quickly, especially with a new CEO and all the organizational changes that have been made. (But then I remind myself that Chapek is an idiot). Sorry @realBobChapek.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom