What's in the water?

William Marsden

Original Poster
Hey I was just reading the "refillable mug" thread and I remembered how wierd the water tastes at Disney World. I sometimes think that they use the fish tanks at the "Living Seas" pavilion for the water source. Does anyone know why WDW water tastes so funny?

jakeman

It's not just Disney. It's pretty much all of central Florida. I don't know the exact reason. Maybe someone else does.

dolbyman

we had threads that particular water dispensers (is that the right word for those?) taste different.

one was in epcot .. I tried all I could spot .. but none tasted any special :lookaroun

barnum42

I'd imagine it's the same reason my local water does not taste great - it's been filtered due to having already been through at least half a dozen other people.

pintraderpayee

I don't know, but the water in Louisiana has the same taste. It may have to do with the elevation (or lack of it in this case) and the minerals/chemicals in the water table. I always bring the Wal Mart brand of the Crystal Lite type powder mix and add to the water when at WDW. It helps tremendously.:slurp:

9 days until we are ºoºrlando bound with 27 teens on a school bus for 930 miles of smiles:hammer: :sohappy:

wild01ride

barnum42 said:
it's been filtered due to having already been through at least half a dozen other people.
:hurl:

Ick, that's pretty nasty when you think about it that way! How true!

Another thing I've noticed about the water too is that you can never really get cold water out of the faucet.
Here in Michigan, we always have cold water, even in the hottest of summer days!

The Mom

Premium Member
wild01ride said:
:hurl:

Another thing I've noticed about the water too is that you can never really get cold water out of the faucet.
Here in Michigan, we always have cold water, even in the hottest of summer days!

When it drops below 32, the water is pretty cold. When it drops below 20, you have to worry about the pipes freezing. :lol:

Seriously, pipes can't be buried very deeply because of the water table, so the water is only as cold as the outside temperature.

The water has many minerals in it due to the limestone aquifer, which makes it taste "funny." The water that has sulpher in it is usually from shallower wells, or wells near water. Water used for irrigation is NOT supposed to come from the aquifer, but rather from shallow wells or ground water.

The flavor can also be affected by drought, or heavier than usual rains.

Ringo8n24

I love the water at WDW for washing my hair. It is hard water and my hair has so much body without a lot of styling products when I am there. That makes it more convenient and it dries quicker there, too. I always try to buy bottled soft drinks and water when I am there to avoid drinking the local water. That is not something specific to Disney...we go to Louisiana lots and I have gotten sick off the fountain drink taste at Taco Bell. I do not buy fountain drinks in La. at all now.

Ringo8n24

Becky said:
It is mixed with Beverly.:slurp:

:hurl: :hurl: That is a flavor I have not thought about in a while. I am almost 9 mos pregnant and the thought of that flavor brings up memories of morning sickness. :hurl: What a disgusting thought having Beverly pumped into the drinking fountains at WDW.

hcswingfield

The water on St. Simons Island in Georgia tastes like that. When we would go there when I was growing up, we called it "beach water." It's an acquired taste.

Shaman

Strange thing is...come down to South Florida, and the water taste and smells different (better). I thought it was just me....

:lol:

Gucci65

Anyone ever had a drink from Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth in St. Augustine? I did and it was the nastiest tasting thing I have ever drank.

I began to worry that I might have given myself an intestional parasite - so we headed to a local restaurant and I had TWO margaritas. I figured the tequila would kill the parasite and if it didn't - it sure cured the nasty taste in my mouth.

Be safe, buy Dasani!:lol:

pintraderpayee

dolbyman said:
hmm me like beverly :slurp:

btw .. is icq station cool open again ?

Yes, according to info. on this and other sites. It is called Club Cool now. My DD (12) is planning to trick some of my high school students (who have never been to WDW) into drinking Beverly. She even put it as a decoy on her "To Do" List that many of my students have read! ...#4. Visit Club Cool- try all drinks-especially Beverly, my fav.... She is soooo looking forward to seeing their faces when they try it......me, too:goodnevil

9 days until we are ºoºrlando bound with 27 teens on a school bus for 930 miles of smiles:hammer: :sohappy:

napnet

It is the high sulfer, iron and calcium content in the water. I'm so used to it from North Florida, Disney water doesnt taste that bad. Its all due to the water here is from the Florida Aquifer

GoofyMom2

I have packed a whole bunch of those Crystal Lite To Go packs........perfect to add to the water.........I am addicted to the ice tea flavor :slurp:

We leave tomorrow!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom