What's going on with World of Color?

TP2000

What a joke of a show designer. He had a few good shows in the 2000's but was losing his touch by World of Color.

The nail in the coffin for me was his redo of Fantasmic, which pulled elements from World of Color and his Tokyo iteration of Fantasmic- taking a show that was basically entirely original and turning it into one of his generic 'clip shows' that somehow missed the spark that made the original a classic.

I had a fun conversation with someone who used to work in entertainment stage management at one point, and I'll never forget talking about Disneyland's newer stuff and them turning and saying "Man, Steve Davison has got to go" and proceeded to rant about how lackluster his stuff has become.

I've seen Tokyo's bizarrely huge Fantasmic! exactly twice. Once from a prime viewing spot after exiting a fabulous and slightly boozy dinner at Magellan's. And once from a very nice balcony room at the Hotel MiraCosta. Both times from those prime spots on either side of the lagoon, either slightly boozed or dead sober, the show was a mess.

I gave it two tries, and it failed both times. I no longer care about watching Fantasmic! at DisneySea and instead now use that time to go on rides. As God probably intended.

waltography

Speaking of rusting old machinery, whatever happened to Steve Davison? Is he still on the payroll?

He was the wunderkid who could do no wrong in the 2000's and 2010's. But you don't hear about him any more. What happened to that guy? Did someone finally realize the parks don't need another spectacular built solely around Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, Toy Story, and Lion King?
Unfortunately, he very much is still on the payroll and was a talking head for Harmonious promos.

Squishy

Speaking of rusting old machinery, whatever happened to Steve Davison? Is he still on the payroll?

He was the wunderkid who could do no wrong in the 2000's and 2010's. But you don't hear about him any more. What happened to that guy? Did someone finally realize the parks don't need another spectacular built solely around Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, Toy Story, and Lion King?
I don't think the blame should be put on him, it should be put on the current executives. His shows were amazing before Staggs left & Chapek stepped in.

Disney Analyst

He is still in charge, and created Harmonious for Epcot. He describes the show in great detail at 18:29

On a personal note, I was a big fan of his during the RDCT and early WoC days. I reached out to him on Facebook back then and he was very kind, would answer questions I had, would check in when I was doing theatre and stuff. He's a nice guy, and has created some spectacular stuff.

But in the creative world there will always be misses. Especially at a company like Disney with a lot of... other voices in the mix.

PiratesMansion

He's now in charge of parades and spectaculars for all of the Disney parks around the world.

TP2000

He's now in charge of parades and spectaculars for all of the Disney parks around the world.

Maybe it's because he's no longer trotted out regularly to talk about Disneyland stuff, but you just don't hear about him any more like we did a decade ago.

I think the last time he did his onstage schtick was at the media frenzy for Disneyland's 60th.

Also... he apparently has embraced the Keto diet or something. Good for him! But at first in that video above he was totally unrecognizeable. At least to me.

jmuboy

Harmonious at Epcot falls veryyyyy flat ( and I was not an Illuminations super fan).
As for WoC I’d be happy if the debut year / original version of WoC comes back when the show returns in 2022.

SuddenStorm

On a personal note, I was a big fan of his during the RDCT and early WoC days. I reached out to him on Facebook back then and he was very kind, would answer questions I had, would check in when I was doing theatre and stuff. He's a nice guy, and has created some spectacular stuff.

Man, this reminds me that the guy who was in charge of the Disney Park Soundtrack releases used to post on the Disney music forum. He hasn't been active in years though (I wonder if he still works there?).

The last thing he shared I thought was noteworthy was that the Legacy Collection Disneyland release was not intended to be the 60th music release that it ended up being. They wanted a proper 60th release that would have included the new entertainment soundtracks but it never happened.

Disstevefan1

Was it stopped in the name of COVID but really just another cost cutting measure never to return, or was it stopped before COVID as a cost cutting measure never to return?

VJ

I asked a bartender at Lamplight Lounge the other day if he had any inside knowledge on when the show would be back and he said "could be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years."
I asked a bus driver and they said that the show would be replaced by "World of Chapek," a heartstring-tugging nighttime spectacular highlighting all of Bob Chapek's achievements as CEO so far, concluding with a Chapek character rising out of the water and single-handedly defeating a costumed COVID-19 in a stirring allusion to the havoc the pandemic has wreaked on the Disney company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom