What's going on with The Disney Stores

jmarc63

I had always wondered about what was going on with the Disney stores it seemed they were always remodeling or moving. The store in Schaumberg Il had many incarnations. There first store had huge display windows on either side if the entrance, then after a few years they added the Ill fated resturant idea so they moved the store to another location to accomadate the Store/resturant combination, still a big store, had a seperate area for travel planning, etc. then a few years later they closed the resturants after they failed, so they divided the space inhalf for the store and did away with the resturant, a few years ago they moved again to a smaller space did away with the fancy window displays and the seperate travel planning area. I havent been in in a while to know what else they got rid of

Erika

Originally posted by jmarc63
I had always wondered about what was going on with the Disney stores it seemed they were always remodeling or moving. The store in Schaumberg Il had many incarnations. There first store had huge display windows on either side if the entrance, then after a few years they added the Ill fated resturant idea so they moved the store to another location to accomadate the Store/resturant combination, still a big store, had a seperate area for travel planning, etc. then a few years later they closed the resturants after they failed, so they divided the space inhalf for the store and did away with the resturant, a few years ago they moved again to a smaller space did away with the fancy window displays and the seperate travel planning area. I havent been in in a while to know what else they got rid of

The Schaumburg store closed and one of the new Disney "Play" stores was opened in the same wing of the mall. It's fun for kids, but thre's not much for the grown-ups to do :(

doctor tigger

There were Disney Stores with Restaurants in them? Wow! What kind of food did they serve? What was it like?

I've been disappointed with ours lately, too. Earlier it had very cool character displays---now they're stuck up on a top shelf getting dusty while the store space is filled with toys. Good for merchandising, I guess, but not that much fun for me. (I guess it's a lost topic now, since the store is closing!)

Erika

Originally posted by doctor tigger
There were Disney Stores with Restaurants in them? Wow! What kind of food did they serve? What was it like?

Burgers- I remember fries that were shaped like the characters- that's all I can recollect. This was a looooong time ago, and unfortunately, ours did not last very long.

Mr. Tom Morrow

I think the first problem the Disney Store had was, as many have suggested, they over saturated the market with to many outlets. Instead of correcting this problem by closing the less profitable locations, they have also changed the inventory covering a less broad merchandise line. Gone are the adult clothing, household goods, jewelry and most of the collectable items. In fact, in metro Detroit they closed our one and only Disney Gallery. All that’s left is children’s clothing, toys, stuffed animals, videos and DVD’s. The new stores feel like they are filled with just princess related items. So while they have been correcting on problem by closing stores, they have created an even bigger problem by rebranding the stores and stocking them with items that appeal to smaller market segment. Someone over at the Disney Store head office in Glendale, CA better wake up or they will go the way of the WB store, history! And that will be a very sad day indeed.

SnowWhite5669

My Disney Store closed on January 26, 2003 (Disney Store 763 Providence Place Mall). They let us know they were closing approximately 3 weeks before hand and never told us why!! Of course, there was speculation... rent too high, saturation of the market , etc. It was so hard to close that store, we were only open 3 years!!! It had tons of animation and the traditional Disney Store look. I was lucky enough to get transferred to Emerald Square in Massachusetts but I hate it!! It's one of the newly remodeled stores and if you weren't looking for it you would walk right by thinking it was a KB Toys!! Everything is flat and there is no animation. But I am still a cast member so for that I am grateful!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom