What's going on with The Disney Stores

wdwfan4eva

Original Poster
Has anybody heard anything about The Disney Stores closing or refurbishing?? :confused: In two nearby malls, one in NY and one in CT, the stores appeared to be closed. I know that the one in CT, there were no signs up, just black tarps in front of the door and covering the window in the front display. Can someone please shed some light on this subject?!?! :veryconfu Thank you!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
disney is currently in the process of closing and rehabbing disney stores across the country. Unfortunately, after Pressler left TDS (the ONLY time he was an asset to disney), they started building more, upwards of 5 in some areas (that's a lot for such a niche store) and oversaturating some markets (Especially Orlando! 4 Disney Stores in town, and we STILL have the parks and Off Property WDW shops)

Monorail Lime

Oversaturation is right. There are three Disney stores in this county and they are only 20 minutes from each other. Sadly none of them were stellar performers this last holiday season so I wouldn't be suprised if there are only two next holiday season...

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by wdwfan4eva
Has anybody heard anything about The Disney Stores closing or refurbishing?? :confused: In two nearby malls, one in NY and one in CT, the stores appeared to be closed. I know that the one in CT, there were no signs up, just black tarps in front of the door and covering the window in the front display. Can someone please shed some light on this subject?!?! :veryconfu Thank you!

HANG ON!!

The store in the Danbury mall (CT) is most likely comming back!!
I was there on the day it closed and i talked to the manager because I actually had an application in there, and she said that there lease was up, they wanted a bigger store, and the people who bought the Imaginarium spot (right next door) bought up the Disney store(I bet right from underneath them).
This manager told me that as soon as a bigger spot opened up they were gonna try to get in it... The LAST time i was at the mall the (rather large) Zanny Brainy store was having a "store closing" sale so... cross your fingers!!!

[/list]

BRER STITCH

As ALICIA said.....

The good news for many of the stores is that they simply need a larger space to incorporate the new store profiles.

The same thing is going on in my area. Two of the stores in this market are waiting for larger spaces to become available in their respective Malls so they can remodel the right location.

That is not to say that business decisions based on profitability need to be made, and some stores may be closed.

Incidentally, an arrangement often exists in commercial leases whereby a developer (Mall owner) may sometimes offer their existing good customers space in other properties they have available at a discounted rental rate - just so the space is not sitting empty. When they find another business willing to pay the full rental rates, the business paying the discounted (and often month-to-month) rent will agree to move back out or to yet another location.

Its all part of the game..........

wdwfan4eva

Original Poster
Thanks for the info AliciaLuvzDizne. How'd you know that I was talking about the one at the Danbury Mall?!?! :) (I live only 5 minutes from there! :D)

The other one I was talking about was the one in the Nanuet Mall in Rockland County. My aunt said it closed but I never know with those Rockland-ites! :lol:

My sister works at The Westchester in White Plains, NY and she informed me that the Disney Store there was still open. But, now I understand. That one is fairly large and so is the one at the Palisades Mall in Nyack, NY.

I don't see where they could put a bigger Disney Store in Danbury. Unless you are right about Zainy Brainy, then I hope so!!! I miss having a Disney Store!!!! :cry:

goofy47

It's John Edward...

Originally posted by mktiggerman
disney is currently in the process of closing and rehabbing disney stores across the country. Unfortunately, after Pressler left TDS (the ONLY time he was an asset to disney), they started building more, upwards of 5 in some areas (that's a lot for such a niche store) and oversaturating some markets (Especially Orlando! 4 Disney Stores in town, and we STILL have the parks and Off Property WDW shops)

When will people realize that I am NEVER wrong?!?"

JOHN EDWARDS IS A FAKE!!

<font color=blue>So much for never being wrong...</font> :lol:

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by wdwfan4eva
Thanks for the info AliciaLuvzDizne. How'd you know that I was talking about the one at the Danbury Mall?!?! :) (I live only 5 minutes from there! :D)

The other one I was talking about was the one in the Nanuet Mall in Rockland County. My aunt said it closed but I never know with those Rockland-ites! :lol:

My sister works at The Westchester in White Plains, NY and she informed me that the Disney Store there was still open. But, now I understand. That one is fairly large and so is the one at the Palisades Mall in Nyack, NY.

I don't see where they could put a bigger Disney Store in Danbury. Unless you are right about Zainy Brainy, then I hope so!!! I miss having a Disney Store!!!! :cry:

hehe cuz i live in danbury and you said CT so... ta da
lol
where do u live...in NY?
i live 2 miles from the Brewster line (maybe 4 but still...)

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Re: It's John Edward...

Originally posted by goofy47
When will people realize that I am NEVER wrong?!?"

JOHN EDWARDS IS A FAKE!!

<font color=blue>So much for never being wrong...</font> :lol:
Uh oh... Goofy, those are fighting words around here! :p MKTIGGERMAN is one of our leading sources of inside info around here and to mess with him is like messing with Disney itself. (I hope that you were joking and not trying to jab at someone.)

Just a friendly word of warning... :D

DisneyJedi

Originally posted by Monorail Lime
Oversaturation is right. There are three Disney stores in this county and they are only 20 minutes from each other. Sadly none of them were stellar performers this last holiday season so I wouldn't be suprised if there are only two next holiday season...

Those are the stores with lots of copies of popular DVDs that don't sell good, so when Disney does the nation-wide DVD clearance, you can buy alot of great clearance DVDs for only $10 each. Our store here had a very limited selection last summer when this sale went on, but I still got a few goodies. If you have multiple Disney stores in your area, there's even more potential. Lucky duck! Unfortunately Disney does not announce these sales, but if you check http://www.dvdtalk.com regularly, you'll catch the deals.

JasonDonohue

I live in suffolk county on long islansd and the mall by me went down for rehab last year the result a cold looking store with alot less enjoyable decorating ideas just my opinion i like the old design MUCH MUCH better
I MISS THE OLD DISNEY STORE:cry:

goofy47

Re: Re: It's John Edward...

Originally posted by One Lil Spark
Uh oh... Goofy, those are fighting words around here! :p MKTIGGERMAN is one of our leading sources of inside info around here and to mess with him is like messing with Disney itself. (I hope that you were joking and not trying to jab at someone.)

Just a friendly word of warning... :D

Thanks for the warning... :eek: LOL!!! Just poking fun.. no harm done.. I hope... :animwink: Thanks for the warning.. :zipit:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Re: Re: Re: It's John Edward...

Originally posted by goofy47
Thanks for the warning... :eek: LOL!!! Just poking fun.. no harm done.. I hope... :animwink: Thanks for the warning.. :zipit:
Thanks for understanding! Very nice of you to not attack me back. You'll fit in just fine around here once you realize to not bite the hands that feed you WDW inside info! :lol: :D

DisneyJedi

Originally posted by JasonDonohue
I live in suffolk county on long islansd and the mall by me went down for rehab last year the result a cold looking store with alot less enjoyable decorating ideas just my opinion i like the old design MUCH MUCH better
I MISS THE OLD DISNEY STORE:cry:

I'm from Long Island (born and raised there). Do you happen to be referring to the Smithhaven Mall? That stinks they remodeled it and made it less attractive.

doctor tigger

Hi Everybody!

I've been lurking around for awhile, but now I've decided that it's time to come out of the woodwork and bring this topic back to life. So, hi everybody and thanks for all of your great comments and input--it's nice to know that I'm not the only Disney fanatic around.
Anyway, our Disney Store in Columbia, MO is also closing--next week--and the people who work there are looking for other jobs--so it's obviously not going to reopen. The closest store is about an hour and a half away--so I'm crushed. Any idea about what's going on?

And another question about the Disney Stores---why the move away from adult clothing? They used to have such fun stuff, but now there's almost nothing, even in the catalog. Sure, the kids stuff is great, but I can't fit into one of those Tinkerbell costumes (wish I could, though!)

Thanks for the input---
Doctor Tigger

JasonDonohue

"I'm from Long Island (born and raised there). Do you happen to be referring to the Smithhaven Mall? That stinks they remodeled it and made it less attractive."
-DisneyJedi
(sorry about my quoting im sorta new at this)

Anyway, yes I do mean the Smithhaven mall I (OFCOURSE) still go there and spend all of my money but I also venture out to the bayshore mall as I call it im not sure of it's official name I just call it bayshore due to it's locatin (bayshore, ny) anyway yes thats the store i am referring to.

orangefan15

The Disney Store seems to be going the way of the Warner Brothers store...CLOSED!!

Its unfortunate, but I think they did themselves in in many locations by no longer selling adult clothing and becoming a stinking toy store!!! I can get toys anywhere, but I certainly can't get a Mickey shirt anywhere.

doctor tigger

Well-spoken, Orangefan---that's just the way I feel myself. The toys are great for toys, but I also want that Mickey T-shirt!

(Actually, what I really wanted was one of the cool jackets that look like a letter-jacket. When I finally saved enough money, there are apparently none to be found! I know they were expensive, but surely I'm not the only person who would buy one!)

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom