What's being done at the Main Street Bakery?

invader

i44zx.jpg

Was in MK tonight, scrims fully on the refurb so it doesn't look as bad. Sorry for the poor picture quality, only had my phone on me.

dcibrando

Disney should NEVER have two night shows down at the same time. It would be cool to see the MSEP in DHS during the paving In the MK but doubt they have float storage available? Not good for February guests who aren't regulars

DubyooDeeDubyoo

I was under the impression that MSEP was "done" with it's run, but DLR doesn't want it anymore since DCA has grown an incredibly strong nighttime lineup in it's absence, so it's unexpectedly sitting in WDW limbo?

BigThunderMatt

The key thing is, it DOESN'T have to be done when people are in the parks. As I said, there was a time when work like this was done overnight. If Disney wanted to spend the money to have it done quickly, this type of work could be done within a week's worth of overnight shifts - At the most.

And it ISN'T done when people are in the parks. There's no one there during the day. Those tarps are just up to hide the scaffolding that is exclusively used at night.

The problem is, because guests demand longer park hours, third shift can't even come in until the park is completely clear of guests, and then they've gotta bail by 7:45 each morning so breakfast guests can come in.

Long story short: OCD vacation planning psychos who demand 15 hour days in the parks and the earliest possible breakfast reservations and who complained about noise pollution when constructions crews WERE working during the day to get these things down faster are the very reason things are the way they are now.

You can complain all you want about it, but you can't have the best of both worlds. You either take shorter park hours and noise pollution during the day to get them down in the shortest amount of time possible, or you deal with a decorative tarp and a longer construction period so you can have your 8:00 a.m. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or CRT reservations for your exhausted child and then proceed to stay until 12 a.m. so you can get every last ride in as possible (mind you there's quite a few closed).

I seem to recall people saying Disney wasn't doing ENOUGH refurbs. Well, for all the people that complained about stuff being closed: here you go. Disney didn't do refurbs for the longest time and now things like Big Thunder have deteriorated so bad they have to be down for 5 months once every 10 years (BTM's last major refurb was in 2001) instead of 1.5 - 2. Disney needs to go back to the way it used to refurb or pretty soon we're going to have something collapse because Disney was afraid to close out of fear of guest reprisals...never mind the fact that they made a record profit last year, I'm sure they could afford to lose a few guests dollars and still be ok. I could certainly stand to hear a lot less whining on a daily basis.

NewfieFan

Why do folks around here blame everything on the guest!?! I don't get it! The refurbs weren't done... b/c they weren't done! Plain and simple. Disney may use the guest satisfaction excuse (if they even use it... it may be a Disney myth for all I know) but it's just that - an excuse! If Disney wanted to maintain these rides, shows, buildings, facades, etc. they would be doing it. It's about money and we all know it!!! Now some of these refurbs are absolutely necessary and can't be put off any longer. I find it hard to believe that guest satisfaction is soooooo important to them... if it was wouldn't everything be in better shape than it is!?!

wickedfan07

Why do folks around here blame everything on the guest!?! I don't get it! The refurbs weren't done... b/c they weren't done! Plain and simple. Disney may use the guest satisfaction excuse (if they even use it... it may be a Disney myth for all I know) but it's just that - an excuse! If Disney wanted to maintain these rides, shows, buildings, facades, etc. they would be doing it. It's about money and we all know it!!! Now some of these refurbs are absolutely necessary and can't be put off any longer. I find it hard to believe that guest satisfaction is soooooo important to them... if it was wouldn't everything be in better shape than it is!?!

People are going to complain if a ride is closed or if a ride is in poor shape. The problem is that you can't keep a ride in good shape if you don't close if for refurbishment once in a while. So to answer your question: No, everything would not be better because either way people are not going to be satisfied. In this situation, no matter what Disney does, they will not win (in terms of guest satisfaction anyway).

Disneyland and Tokyo take rides down all the time for refurbishment and people don't seem to get bent out of shape. This phenomenon seems limited to WDW. When Disney closes a ride, everyone goes nuts. If a ride is in poor shape, everyone goes nuts. Yes, management should just refurb rides regardless of what the public thinks, I'm saying they are without blame. It's just that the GUESTS typically demand perfect attractions that neve close for maintenance. In the real world of a theme park (MK in particular) that operates anywhere from 11-20 hours a day depending on the season, downtime is going to be necessary. Nothing, Disney or not, designed to operate that much. Disney can onl do so much, it is not entirely management's fault.

Flip83

I'm not sure why everyone is so upset about an exterior refurbishment. When I was there in Feb. 2010, they were refurbishing the Exposition Hall, Ice Cream Parlor, back of the Train Station, and bottom part of the Castle all at the same time! And guess what..... I still had a GREAT time.

LOL. Exactly. Complaining over a bakery being repainted. This is priceless

Flip83

People are going to complain if a ride is closed or if a ride is in poor shape. The problem is that you can't keep a ride in good shape if you don't close if for refurbishment once in a while. So to answer your question: No, everything would not be better because either way people are not going to be satisfied. In this situation, no matter what Disney does, they will not win (in terms of guest satisfaction anyway).

Disneyland and Tokyo take rides down all the time for refurbishment and people don't seem to get bent out of shape. This phenomenon seems limited to WDW. When Disney closes a ride, everyone goes nuts. If a ride is in poor shape, everyone goes nuts. Yes, management should just refurb rides regardless of what the public thinks, I'm saying they are without blame. It's just that the GUESTS typically demand perfect attractions that neve close for maintenance. In the real world of a theme park (MK in particular) that operates anywhere from 11-20 hours a day depending on the season, downtime is going to be necessary. Nothing, Disney or not, designed to operate that much. Disney can onl do so much, it is not entirely management's fault.

Well Said. I went in 2009 after my LONGEST drought ever, I didnt go for 8 years. I used to go every year, and since 09, I go back every year again. When i went in 09, one of my favorite rides (Space Mt) wad down for refurb. Didn't complain once. I was still in WDW having a great time on all the other rides, enjoying the great dining and loving that disney atmosphere. It's a VACATION everyone. Tarps are bothering you? Tarps?! lol.

NewfieFan

I don't doubt that it both situations there will be guests that complain. My point was more in the way of if Disney kept regular maintenance on everything than it wouldn't have to go down for "big" refurbs that take a long time. A "big" refurb messes with more people's vacations than say a two week one, for example. And do we know if this phenomenon (as you call it) really exists only in WDW - if at all!?! Unless we're working in guest services keep tracking of the complaints coming in... do we really know!?! All we know is what we read and hear around these parts... and this forum is not exactly a good representation of the guests that visit WDW in a year. We're a small dot on the radar and that's about it. I'm not saying people don't complain... I'm just wondering if "they" complain as much as folks on here say they do!

This thread is proof that people will complain about anything on the internet.

I think the folks that are complaining (if you want to call it that) are complaining about the number of refurbs and walls that exist all at the one time. I'm not saying it's right or wrong (we're all entitled to our opinion on here) but you have to admit there is a lot going at the moment. I'm excited for FL, can't wait for it to open, but the Great Wall of Fantasyland does take away a little from the ambiance of the place. Does that mean I don't want new stuff built... no, I just don't like the wall (but it's a necessary evil).

JLW11Hi

Well Said. I went in 2009 after my LONGEST drought ever, I didnt go for 8 years. I used to go every year, and since 09, I go back every year again. When i went in 09, one of my favorite rides (Space Mt) wad down for refurb. Didn't complain once. I was still in WDW having a great time on all the other rides, enjoying the great dining and loving that disney atmosphere. It's a VACATION everyone. Tarps are bothering you? Tarps?! lol.

I think there is a logical middle ground. If my favorite attraction/area was under refurbishment at the park, I'd understand, but of course I'd be a little upset over it. Especially if it had been years since visiting. We are all Disney fans here, so it really is a little more than "just a vacation". I go to Disney specifically because of the experiences it offers. Not just to get away from it all.

jlevis

I think there is a logical middle ground. If my favorite attraction/area was under refurbishment at the park, I'd understand, but of course I'd be a little upset over it. Especially if it had been years since visiting. We are all Disney fans here, so it really is a little more than "just a vacation". I go to Disney specifically because of the experiences it offers. Not just to get away from it all.

Refurbs are listed so if it is possible to be flexable you can plan around them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom