Whatever happened...

MaXXimus

Original Poster
to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and what is in that spot now? I so vividly remember being a youngster and loving that ride and had forgotten about it till just now when it popped into my head while looking at maps that it is gone.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and what is in that spot now? I so vividly remember being a youngster and loving that ride and had forgotten about it till just now when it popped into my head while looking at maps that it is gone.

It was my favorite attraction as a child. There are numerous stories about why and how it ended up as Pooh's Playful Spot. The one I put most credence in is that it was too costly to maintain so, it was turned into a big duck pond for about a few years before the finally decided what to do with it.

It is my understanding, and this is based soley on rumor, that Poohs Playful Spot is a temporary attraction. There is a significant amount of land that 20k used to take up, so another large attraction or possibly another land could be added.

But yes, I was greatly saddened. I have the movie, a replica ride poster, and as of this Christmas, a 20k snow globe.

Tink in Pink

I was not alive at the time during which it was running, but my dad was lucky enough to expirience it and says it was one of,if not THE best, Disney's better attraction. In elaboration of hakunamatata's response, it was also removed because as most know below the grounds we walk at the MK, there is a whole city where CM's get ready for shows, parades, and such. It seemed that the water from this attraction was leaking down to a certain section of this underground 'city' and causing some damage. This was a big part of why this attraction was done away with. I remember part of the queqe area being used for meet&greets.

As to what will happen, I hope for what they are doing over in DL. A nemo themed submarine ride, with more tech than 20k.

Mansion Butler

I grew up with WDW, but was always afraid of 20,000, so I never road it. Shame, because I loved Submarine Voyage.

Anywho, 20,000 had so many problems. It was not accessible for guests with special boarding requirements, such as those in wheelchairs and ECVs. It caused alot of claustrophobia. It was becoming less popular (I guess, I waited in line for an hour to ride SBV).

The special requirements problem was the biggest, though. That, and the fact that it was just to the point that it was working less often than it was down. After I was about 6, I'd never been to Disney World when it was working. It just became not worth it for the number of guests it put through I suppose.

Where as DL decided to keep the beautiful lagoon (man do I miss that lagoon) and wait for a solution, MK decided to build a playground. I've heard plenty of rumors that the playground is either temporary or that there's space behind it for something else, though. We'll see.

I miss the lagoon, I would love to ride 20,000 Leagues, but this isn't one I consider a travesty considering the conditions.

DisneyPEANUT

I'm pretty sure like everyone else said, they removed it and put the Pooh's Playful Spot. Don't quote me on this but I have also heard that part of it was taken over by Ariels Grotto. Again don't quote me on it.

I never had the chance to ride it since we just started going to WDW in 2000 and it was long gone.

:xmas:

MaXXimus

Original Poster
I was very young and wasnt sure if memory served me correct but you just answered my own question for me. Man those were the days... now if only I could remember what character was there that I met :hammer:

I remember part of the queqe area being used for meet&greets.

JaclynR

I rode it in 1992. I remember waiting for more than an hour and I can remember going into the sub and how the seats faced the little windows. We did Mr. Toads Wild Ride right afterwards.

Mansion Butler

I'm pretty sure like everyone else said, they removed it and put the Pooh's Playful Spot. Don't quote me on this but I have also heard that part of it was taken over by Ariels Grotto. Again don't quote me on it.

I never had the chance to ride it since we just started going to WDW in 2000 and it was long gone.

:xmas:

Ariel's Grotto was there before the lagoon was taken out. If memory serves.

Jessie&Buzz

I can't remember riding it, but my parents said I did. When I was there in 1996 for my honeymoon it was still in the lagoon, but not running. My hubby was disappointed. He really wanted to ride it. As for Ariel she has been there since at least 1998 (can't remember her before). I have a pic of my daughter with her from that trip.

How new is the Pooh area? We didn't take time to explore it since we had other things to do like rides!

Rob562

Where as DL decided to keep the beautiful lagoon (man do I miss that lagoon) and wait for a solution, MK decided to build a playground.

Just wanted to clarify one thing... Disneyland was kind of forced to keep their lagoon and show building. The sub ride at Disneyland was part of a major expansion project. There were a number of attractions all built at once, and they're too intertwined for them to take out just the sub lagoon.
The subs are on the bototm level. The Autopia drives around on top of the subs' show building. There's also the former PeopleMover/Rocket Rods track snaking through the area, as well as the monorail. I assume their supports are fairly well integrated into the structures, too.

Compare that to the MK's lagoon, which was all by itself.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom