What year was Disney World at it's peak?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Would anybody pegthe '70s as the best time for WDW? Obviously the only thing there was Magic Kingdom but are there some people who sentimentally would pick that era despite the fact the park hadn't grown yet? Looking back there were good attractions at that time too, and a good part of the core of the MK today

imagineer boy

I'd definately say 91-96 and in some cases 2000. Sure it was during the dreaded Pressler years, but the millenium celebration was wonderful.

Laura

Premium Member
I have always felt that the internet is what ruined Disney World. It has caused everyone to be aware of everything, su¢king the magic out of the place. Before the internet, you could just wander around the parks and see and interact with characters on a whim (not waiting in a line), you could walk right in to your favorite restaurant without a reservation, you just rode rides as you felt like riding them. There was no "strategy" or "race" or "competition" or "stress". There were lots of off-peak times where you could go and have the place to yourself. September at WDW used to be a ghost town, until word started getting out on the internet...and now September is mobbed. Restaurants used to be simple to eat at, but since the dining plan arrived, people use the internet to decide where to use their credits, making availability non-existant.

It's just a lot more WORK these days to go to Disney World than it was 15-20 years ago because of all the competition with other guests. Back then it was total leisure, total fun...no stress involved. And there was no Hannah Montana, Disney Princess overload, High School Musical, or any of that nonsense. So I definitely have to choose the late 80's to early 90's as the best time ever to go.

bjlc57

right before Wells died.. Eisner was into making things happen.. Katzenberger was still there..

everything was GOING UP, UP UP...

and then Wells dies..

and Eisner goes into bean counting mode..

and its been totally downhill ever since..

if Bob Sehlihgers book, says that Disney is pushing the pricing envelope to the point where backlash is coming.

to high a price, too little being changed..

and that's why the place is not as good as it used to be..

simple economics say raise the price and lose ticket sales.. and its starting to show..

LoriMistress

I have always felt that the internet is what ruined Disney World. It has caused everyone to be aware of everything, su¢king the magic out of the place. Before the internet, you could just wander around the parks and see and interact with characters on a whim (not waiting in a line), you could walk right in to your favorite restaurant without a reservation, you just rode rides as you felt like riding them. There was no "strategy" or "race" or "competition" or "stress". There were lots of off-peak times where you could go and have the place to yourself. September at WDW used to be a ghost town, until word started getting out on the internet...and now September is mobbed. Restaurants used to be simple to eat at, but since the dining plan arrived, people use the internet to decide where to use their credits, making availability non-existant.

It's just a lot more WORK these days to go to Disney World than it was 15-20 years ago because of all the competition with other guests. Back then it was total leisure, total fun...no stress involved. And there was no Hannah Montana, Disney Princess overload, High School Musical, or any of that nonsense. So I definitely have to choose the late 80's to early 90's as the best time ever to go.
You could say the same thing about DLR. During Christmastime in the past (late 80's/early 90's), Christmas Day--there will be NO ONE IN THE PARKS!!! There will be virtually no lines. Now, it's a crazy mob scene.

talfonso

To me, WDW was awesome in 1991-1997 for the top 3 reasons:

1. Roger Rabbit was a regular part of the Disney Character roster!
  2. In Disney MGM Studios (which was Disney's Hollywood Studios at the time, mind you), he, Mickey, Minnie, Chip, Dale, Goofy, Donald, and Pluto wore Starter jackets! (If you don't know what I mean, here's a photo of Mickey wearing one!)
  3. A majority of the stage shows had live bands at the time. (Disneymania, not the anthology of CDs with pop artists covering Disney songs, is a great example!) Don't mind taped music of the shows nowadays, but I sorta missed them.
Boy, I miss WDW during the "Disney Decade!"

bjlc57

I'll tell you one of the things that I miss is the big daytime attraction at the world showcase in Epcot..

the big Balloons.. the flying characters on those go karts with parachutes for wings.. it was really something to see.. I don't know the name of the thing.. but it was quite a show..

rkelly42

There were and are so many great things about Disney past and present that I could not narrow down to one time frame. While the years of SSE in its finest form is gone and we have lost WoM and Horizons as well as 20k leagues and Mr. Toads, we have gained Soarin and Test Track along with so many other great rides or entertainment. The future will hopefully will be bright as well with the FLE and who knows what else it holds. I can only enjoy what we have now and fondly remember the past. So for me the greatest years were and are the years I have been able to go and enjoy the magic of WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom