What year was Disney World at it's peak?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
This is a matter of opinion but I'd like to hear the answers. When was WDW at it's best? 1971? 1975? 1980? 1991? 2010? When do you think?

In other words when was the best time to visit the park in your opinion? Some people might say today, and others will point to yesteryear (I know there will be both).

Some people will point to the mystique of the park in the early '70s when it was new and some might think the best is yet to come.

But when did you feel the best at that park? The most magic? Nostalgia?

EPCOT Explorer

1994, 95, and 96, I think. So many new and unique things hitting the Resort at that time.

It's a shame that they didn't continue that line of operation...

MarkTwain

Different parks had different primes.

Magic Kingdom: 1992, after Splash opened, and before all the closures that have plagued the park took place.

Epcot: 1989, after Living Seas and Wonders of Life opened and all of the original 1982 attractions were still in place, and before the 1990s' various attempts to tweak Epcot's theme

Hollywood Studios: 1999, when the park was still a studio, and before the hat took over

Animal Kingdom: 2006, after Everest opened and was fully working

All just opinion, of course :D

Krack2

In my opinion, it was probably 1994, after the Tower of Terror opened, but before 20k Leagues and Kitchen Kabaret closed. In EPCOT CENTER, you still had Horizons, the World of Motion, the Wonders of Life, Captain EO, Imageworks, all the other Future World Pavilions were pretty much in their original states, and relatively no characters in the World Showcase. The Magic Kingdom had the original Tiki Room, Mr. Toad, original Diamond Horseshoe show, Alien Encounter, the park hadn't been taken over by character meals and meet & greets, and Main Street did not resemble one long WalMart.

Of course, this means no Soarin, Little Nemo ride, Rock & Roller Coaster, Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh, Stich's Escape, Fantasmic, Bizzard Beach, or the entire Animal Kingdom park. Frankly, I'd more than be willing to live with this to get EPCOT Center back.

For anyone trying to come up with their own date, this timeline is invaluable.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
1994, 95, and 96, I think. So many new and unique things hitting the Resort at that time.

Agreed, that was the brief time were we had some of the best new attractions (Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Alien Encounter) and they hadn't started getting rid of the best older attractions (Horizons, World of Motion?, Journey into Imagination)

EPCOT Explorer

In my opinion, it was probably 1994, after the Tower of Terror opened, but before 20k Leagues and Kitchen Kabaret closed. In EPCOT CENTER, you still had Horizons, the World of Motion, the Wonders of Life, Captain EO, Imageworks, all the other Future World Pavilions were pretty much in their original states, and relatively no characters in the World Showcase. The Magic Kingdom had the original Tiki Room, Mr. Toad, original Diamond Horseshoe show, Alien Encounter, the park hadn't been taken over by character meals and meet & greets, and Main Street did not resemble one long WalMart.

Of course, this means no Soarin, Little Nemo ride, Rock & Roller Coaster, Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh, Stich's Escape, Fantasmic, Bizzard Beach, or the entire Animal Kingdom park. Frankly, I'd more than be willing to live with this to get EPCOT Center back.

And our modern pyro shows like "Wishes" and "Reflections of Earth" were not around yet.

Well worth the trade.

I'm trying to be optimistic.
:lol: I hope, I hope.

Agreed, that was the brief time were we had some of the best new attractions (Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Alien Encounter) and they hadn't started getting rid of the best older attractions (Horizons, World of Motion?, Journey into Imagination)

You better believe WoM was open! :D I rode it then!:lol::sohappy:

AC was open in this time, too.

_Scar

Personally, I would of loved to go during the middle of the 90's to catch some pre-historic EPCOT, River Country, and a functioning Backlot Tour.

Mr.EPCOT

A combination of two reasons is primarily why. I'll be running the place by then, and four little words: EPCOT Center's Fiftieth Anniversary.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For me it peaked on 1/31/2010. I foresee another peak in the next 2 or 3 months.

Live in the here and now people. Longing for something you can't have will only lead to disappointment.

cblodg

:sohappy::sohappy:

I would love to have the 94-96 WDW back, but keep RoE and Wishes. MGM-Studios was far better with BLT in full glory and no BAH.

GatorGambit

Gotta agree with everyone here. 1994-1995 was the "Golden Age" of WDW. This was an age of originality. Tomomrrowland was unique and cohesive. Main Street USA was relevant - Center Street still existed. There were trees in the Hub. Epcot was in it's prime, with all of the original attractions in place and matured. I'd take that version of Illuminations over ROE any day of the week and twice on Sundays. MGM was actually a park with some substance. Downtown Disney was in full swing.

cblodg

Gotta agree with everyone here. 1994-1995 was the "Golden Age" of WDW. This was an age of originality. Tomomrrowland was unique and cohesive. Main Street USA was relevant - Center Street still existed. There were trees in the Hub. Epcot was in it's prime, with all of the original attractions in place and matured. I'd take that version of Illuminations over ROE any day of the week and twice on Sundays. MGM was actually a park with some substance. Downtown Disney was in full swing.
I forgot about DTD and lets not forget PI!

Mr.EPCOT

I'd have to disagree that 1994 was prime. That's really where the the very beginning of the decline started. If I had to pin it down, I'd say 1991. Studios, Pleasure Island, and Typhoon Lagoon had been open a couple years, Splash Mountain and SpectroMagic had just come along, the promise of the Disney Decade was just ahead, and this was plenty of time before there was even any idea of changing the name, values, and personality of EPCOT Center that began with the ruination of CommuniCore, Earth Station, and Future World Central in general.

How about a Jelly donut.

Meh. :shrug: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom