What Would Your Mama Say?

DisneyMarg

Original Poster
My son has interviewed for the CP and of course I'm the one with the zillion questions. First and foremost, I'd like any information from people who have already done the program. What was the hard thing about it? Was it a good or bad overall experience? What about the living conditions? Is it like a huge drinking party all the time? (OK so that was what I REALLY wanted to know!!) I'd love to hear about any and all of your experiences - you know how mothers are!

b21nhl

drinking is absolutly available. it is also a choice. i was there for 7 months and declined everytime. i know people who went and got plastered as well. it is one of those personal decisions. in the housing complexes, its a little harder to drink when you are under age. they keep those that are under 21 in apartments that are called wellness apartments. it doesnt keep alcohol from them, but it is a step. if you have specific questions about the program, wdwcollegeprogram.com is a great resource. or if you want specific questions, e-mail me. b21nhl@gmail.com. i just got back in august. i would be happy to help.

Nick

joanna71985

Doing the CP was one of the best choices of my life. I absolutely had a blast. Drinking is a problem (I know people who were terminated for underage drinking) but they do seperate underage people into their own apartments. I liked my job a lot (I was in merchandise). I was on the Spring program, but I ended up extending over the summer because I didn't want to go home! If you have any questions, feel free to pm me or email me at joanna71985@hotmail.com

schroder6452

It was a really really great experience for me, so much so I went back for a second time this Summer. The hardest part the first time I went was just getting use to living on my own the first week or two. It was just so far away from what I was use to, some 6,000 miles across the continent and half an ocean away, and it was my first time on my own. I loved both of my jobs. The first one was at the Grand Floridian working as a Resort Runner and Dispatcher in the Housekeeping Department and the second was in Operations working MK Attraction in Tomorrowland- Buzz Complex. I’m glad that I got to experience working in a Resort and the Park. As for classes, I took Experiential Learning. It was an easy class, 12 assignments which you can do in any order. You have to go to things like Career Insights, Disney diversity group meetings, volunteer projects… then fill out the write up form.

Sorry I can't help you with the whole drinking and partying question since I don't drink (I'm 21, just my choice not to drink anything) and don't really care to party or hang out when people are drinking. I opted to be in a wellness apartment the second time (I was under 21 the first) because I didn’t want people to be drinking in the apt.

pluto77

I did the college program Spring Advantage 2004, and it was definitely the best experience of my life so far. I'm thinking about doing the summer program this summer (or maybe try to become seasonal).

I liked the apartments. I lived in Chatham, which was the newer apartment complex. As for the drinking, yeah their definitely are parties, but it's your choice, and it's easy to stay away from them. There are separate apartments for people 21+ who want to drink. Most of the apartments are Wellness apartments for underage and people 21+ who choose to stay in an apartment where drinking isn't allowed. That's not to say it doesn't happen in those apartments (because it does), but if you get caught they do terminate you (obviously not everyone gets caught, but at least you know they stick to the rules). That happened to two of my roommates (actually I found out later that it was my other roommate who called security on them). Also if you have problems with your roommates they usually can switch you to a different apartment.

I worked at Casey's Corner (the hotdog stand at the end of mainstreet) it was a blast working with all of the other CPs. Although I think I'd like a different job if I were to go back just because I'm sick of fast food (I work at Wendy's right now). Ummm.... I don't know what else to say right now, you can pm me too if you have anymore questions.

kosherkid411

Just got accepted...

My parents just about flipped out when they found out that I was going to miss a semester of school and my graduation date (I'm a Senior) to go on "vaccation" to Disney this coming January. There is so many handouts that I have gotten, I am just making copies and sending them to my parents. They are 5 hours away from me and they can't make the info sessions. Some of our past members at my school have even created a packet about their experiences (both for the students and parents)-- it includes everything alcohol, parties, food, discounts, and things to do. One our school's career counselor (and Disney coordinator) will even call the parents if I sign a release about it. My parents are feeling much better about me leaving now.

Look on the brightside of it: Your kid will get free theme park tickets and major discounts on hotels, food, and gifts! There are perks for you too!
:lol:

Tron 2.0

Okay. Well let me just say that my experience with the Walt Disney World College Program was certainly less than rosey. And none of this, "it's all what you make of it" nonsense. Working as a College Program Cast Member is really, really tough, and in many cases, not worth it.

First of all, the student is quite literally working at a glorified McDonalds. No matter what the role, you are a button pusher who they want there because they can pay you less than anybody else. Yes, they will tell you that they are doing you a huge favor by letting you come down to work with them, but don't be fooled. You are cheap labor to them, and that is all.

And your son should not come down expecting to make money. In many cases, you'll lose money, at best break even. If he wants the experience of working at a Disney theme park, he should brace himself. Disney has become just like any other major corporation in America and is cursed with the same problems, including poor management decisions. Again, if he's worked at a McDonalds, he's worked at a Disney theme park.

Now, I had fun, sure. But it had nothing to do with my job. Getting into the Parks free is nice, yet in the end, I think my dignity was worth more.

--Mark

DisneyMarg

Original Poster
Wow - thanks for your candid responses. He's a freshman, and still very undecided about his future, so I really don'thave a problem with him taking some time to do this. He has never had a "real job" so even if it's like McDonalds, it will still be good for him. Besides - sounds like a good reason for me to make lots of trips to Disney!

I am concerned about the "breaking even or losing money" comment. While he isn't thinking he'll get rich, he is expecting to save up some money so when he gets back to college he won't be perpetually broke.

Have the rest of you had the same financial experience as Tron?

Tron 2.0

Let me expound a little bit, as to let you know that I don't think everything about the program is bad:

First, he is choosing a terrific time to go. He's early in his college career and he is unsure of what he wants to do in the future. That is seriously the best time to come down here, because he will be able to work, maybe get college credit, and think about where he wants to go from here.

As for going broke, it will certainly vary from person to person. My experience was that when working on average 35 hours a week, then having rent taken out and paying for groceries, laundry, gas, etc, there is little left over to save. I did know those people, though, that would pick up extra shifts and work extra hard to save money. But as long as your son is willing to live within his means, he should be no worse for wear in the monetary department at the end of his program.

--Mark

joanna71985

When I went down, in the beginning I worked about 35 hours a week. Then as the crowds picked up, I started working more per week. I also picked up extra hours. So when I went home, I brought home about $1500. So like someone else said, if he is careful, he shouldn't be too bad off in the money department. Also, going now is a great idea. I went my first year and I had a blast! In fact, I am thinking about going down again for another CP.

Rosso11

The CP was one of the best experiences of my life. Unfortunately, you don't make much money down there, but lets be honest thats not the reason anyone would ever go. I never had much of a problem with money probably because everything is so cheap compared to what I'm use to in New York city. It is manageable but I do recommend saving as much money as you can prior to leaving for the program. I really wouldn't plan on saving much money, thats not very easy to do.

Let me just tell you being a CP is nothing like working at McDonald's. There is so much to learn from your job. You are working for one of the most highly respected companies in the world. Their customer service is legendary. Thousands of executives from hundreds of companies are sent to Disney every year from around the world to take Disney's management classes. These companies spend tons of money sending their employees to Disney for these classes that CPs learn for free on site. Most CPs don't even realize how much they learn without even trying. If you simply listen and observe to how things operate and learn the reasoning behind many of Disney's practices you will learn a tremendous amount of valuable information for any business. I was a CP a few years ago and I am now in the business world. I have used so much of my Disney knowledge throughout my career. It has become extremely beneficial to me. For any CP alumni that doesn't believe me just try to track down one of the books that are used in the Disney management classes for executives, that they charge tons of money to take. If you simply skim through it you will find how much of that information you learned on your program without even realizing it. It really is true it is what you make of it. If you go down there with an attitude that your to good for a certain job, then you wont learn anything and will be miserable. If you want to learn, then Disney is filled with tremendous amounts of knowledge that you will learn from every aspect of your life at Disney

DisneyMarg

Original Poster
He got his invitation letter Saturday!! We are all so excited for him! Thanks for all your helpful info. Your mamas would be proud (sniff).
:drevil:

Rosso11

Thats great news. Since he's a role hopper he'll more than likely be working at Epcot. They call them Rescue Rangers. They work pretty much every where. They also work all of the special events at Epcot. I had many friends that were Rescue Rangers and they all really enjoed it. You learn a bit of everything.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Living with 2000 college students

Hardest thing- leaving Disney at the end of my CP
Living Conditions- Dorm-like w/kitchens & living rooms
Partying- Yes, ______? yes, we're COLLEGE STUDENTS....if your child doesn't do that kinda stuff now, he/she probably won't down there.

I had roommates that partied/slept around all of the time (hence the nickname for Vista LAY) but that's usually a small percentage of the students that are down there. Again, it all depends on your kid. I did the program when i was 24-25 and by that time i was "over" all of the partying.

~heather
Former DTD WDWCP CM (2003-2004)

DisneyMarg said:
My son has interviewed for the CP and of course I'm the one with the zillion questions. First and foremost, I'd like any information from people who have already done the program. What was the hard thing about it? Was it a good or bad overall experience? What about the living conditions? Is it like a huge drinking party all the time? (OK so that was what I REALLY wanted to know!!) I'd love to hear about any and all of your experiences - you know how mothers are!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Bad CP...

I completely disagree, if you didn't like it, you could've left.

I worked at Downtown Disney selling tickets (button pusher as you call it) for Cirque Du Soleil, PI, and DisneyQuest. I LOVED my job and had a lot of fun MOST of the time, granted there were times where I didn't enjoy my job...but that's ANY job.

You are correct, the pay isn't great...but there's TONS of overtime available...I used to pick up a TON of overtime working parades at MK...it was great because you got to work at a different location, and try something different and get a completely different look on how every area of WDW is run. I didn't exactly SAVE money (Disney stuff isn't cheap even w/the 20% discount!) but I didn't "lose" money either. Most of the people who "lost" money were the constant partiers.

So again, the job is what you make it....it's a JOB not a vacation!!!

~heather
Former DTD WDWCP CM (2003-2004)

Tron 2.0 said:
Okay. Well let me just say that my experience with the Walt Disney World College Program was certainly less than rosey. And none of this, "it's all what you make of it" nonsense. Working as a College Program Cast Member is really, really tough, and in many cases, not worth it.

First of all, the student is quite literally working at a glorified McDonalds. No matter what the role, you are a button pusher who they want there because they can pay you less than anybody else. Yes, they will tell you that they are doing you a huge favor by letting you come down to work with them, but don't be fooled. You are cheap labor to them, and that is all.

And your son should not come down expecting to make money. In many cases, you'll lose money, at best break even. If he wants the experience of working at a Disney theme park, he should brace himself. Disney has become just like any other major corporation in America and is cursed with the same problems, including poor management decisions. Again, if he's worked at a McDonalds, he's worked at a Disney theme park.

Now, I had fun, sure. But it had nothing to do with my job. Getting into the Parks free is nice, yet in the end, I think my dignity was worth more.

--Mark

Tron 2.0

As you so less than lithely noted, it is indeed a job. A job that I signed a contract for. Thus, I felt obligated to fulfill my contract.

The Walt Disney Company is a mere spector of the company it once supposedly was, with poor Walt being dangled out there much as the Colonel is for Kentucky Fried Chicken. A mere cartoon character used to induce much sabre rattling when his name is mentioned.

What bothers me is how poorly I was treated as an employee. Barely an employee, as I was often reminded. Cursed with poor middle management, and an upper management that is too worried about justifying their position to care much for how we're getting along. I found it all very disconcerting.

I am glad you had a good experience. Bully for you. I, however, did not. You would do well to note that me disagreeing with you does not make my experience or my opinion any less valid.

--Mark

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom