What would you like to see next on Soarin' ?

WDWiz318

Original Poster
I remember seeing that as well. The beginning of the film rises out of the city street and above the buildings, I remember thinking the seats were moving because of the effect it had!

If they do a new film, I too would love to see it highlight Florida landmarks and scenes, and end in the Magic Kingdom. And be all digital for a clearer, crisper look. :)

Exactly, I thought the seats were moving too & I thought we were gonna fall right outta the seats onto the street somewhere. I think that's when Imax first came out.

Sweet Melissa

As a misplaced California girl, I love the current film. But if it were to change, I'd like to see it have a little EPCOT theming. Maybe it could have shots from each of the countries featured in the World Showcase or something.

Batphobic

Sydney!

Hawaii!

Russia!

and finally...

:fork:Hell:fork:

Hahaha. Although some of us will get that tour soon enough. :animwink:

Not crazy about Soarin', actually. Feels like I'm sitting in front of a huge screen with a movie of landscapes zipping by, and some dude's feet dangling above me...

oh - that's 'cause that's what it is.

westie

I would like to play devil's advocate and say more California because its really funny how riled up east coasters get over CA. So, bring it on, more cali!:fork:

fractal

I'd like to see it start at WDW in the daytime, and go around the world, hitting each of the major sights from East to West (or West to East). After making a full rotation, we'd wind up back at WDW, but at night.
All the new scenes would be re-scored, but the classic Goldsmith score would be prevalent for at least the opening and the end.

that would be cool!

fractal

Here's something I'd like to know from someone closer to Disney/Imagineering ...

What is it that makes creating a film for this attraction so expensive? It's not like you're filming a Star Tours attraction with tons of special effects; it's some nice fly overs. Seriously, what gives? It seems to me this is the type of ride where Disney should be touting a new update every other year - Soarin Europe, Soarin National Parks, Soarin over Disney, Soarin Skyscapers, etc. I would also think you could easily set things up so a random film is shown each time to add a reason to re-ride.

What gives? Is there something about the film process that makes it uber-costly? Or is it just Disney being lazy because it's a popular attraction and they can afford to be?

what it took to film the first Soarin'

Producing the Film

• The Soarin' film uses IMAX projection systems, with high-speed (48 fps) high definition Omni-max film projectors. That's twice the speed of normal motion picture film.
  • Because airspace inside national park boundaries is protected, it took several months for the film crew to obtain permission to fly a helicopter into Yosemite National Park. The last time a helicopter was permitted to fly through Yosemite was in the mid-1900s, when a flood had closed the park to visitors.
  • Though it may be hard to see them, mountain climbers in the Yosemite sequence are making their way along a cliff face before the waterfall comes into view. The six members of the Yosemite Mountaineering School spent an entire day before the shoot placing pitons for handholds and footholds during filming. While the shot was being set up, and in between takes, the climbers literally "hung around," suspended from the cliff by ropes. One climber clung to the cliff for about six hours before the shot was ready to go.
  • Because of the status of Monterey/Point Lobos as a marine sanctuary, it took a year to obtain all of the necessary permits to film that sequence. One of the boats in this shot is a NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration) boat, whose job it was to monitor marine animal and bird activity during filming. Fortunately for the animals and the film crew, the shot was pulled off without disturbing any of the protected sea otters, sea lions or brown pelicans.
  • The scene in which guests go soaring over the USS Stennis aircraft carrier as it heads out of the San Diego port is unusual in that all of the Navy jets and helicopters can be seen on the carrier. Normally the carrier offloads all of the aircraft as soon as it comes into port. When this scene of the film was shot, the vessel happened to be making a quick turn-around and had not had time to offload the aircraft. The USS Stennis is the largest aircraft carrier in the Navy's fleet weighing in at 97,000 tons with a flight deck area of 4.5 acres.
  • There is a scene in the film in which horses and riders gallop through Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Prior to filming this scene, the crew was required to hire an archaeological team to perform a biological and paleontological resource assessment. In other words, the team hand-dusted the area from Fonts Wash to Fonts Point -- a four-mile stretch of trail -- in order to be sure no artifacts would be disturbed by the horses and riders.
  • In the Anza-Borrego shot, the Thunderbirds fly over the horseback riders. Many meetings with Air Force personnel were required to set up this shot. Flight paths for both the Thunderbirds and the helicopter film crew had to be carefully charted and arranged. The jets travel so fast that they would not be able to see the helicopter in time to avoid intercepting its flight path. Timing its departure and GPS location very precisely, the helicopter departed only a few miles from the filming rendezvous point, while the Thunderbirds took off from Nellis Air Force base, near Las Vegas, more than 200 miles away.
  • Lt. Col. Brian Bishop, the Thunderbirds' lead pilot, uses the code name Be-Bop. The lead pilot for the Thunderbirds may hold his or her position for no more than three years, and Lt. Col. Bishop's participation in the filming of this sequence for Soarin' constituted his final flight as commander of the Thunderbirds.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Soarin.htm

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I too would love to see the National Parks featured ending in WDW....the wilderness lodge would be good to scan over towards the MK fireworks....

It would be nice if they rotated a few of them and somehow you would automatically be fastpassed for one you have already seen during your ticketed trip....

UrbanDonovan

The next Soarin' film should be of Florida, including flyovers of a night game at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and Iron Mountain/Bok Tower in my beautiful hometown of Lake Wales!

WDWiz318

Original Poster
I would like to play devil's advocate and say more California because its really funny how riled up east coasters get over CA. So, bring it on, more cali!:fork:

I don't really get riled up over CA, it's a nice landscape. East Coast has a lot to offer too, after all that's where our country started . . . . . . then moved west. :wave:

BigB911

I know I'm jumping in late here, but...

I love Soarin' immensly. However, I feel that flying over CA is a tad out of place in FL. I know that it's been said before that FL is too flat to film a new movie there. But, what if the show started off flying over the Everglades, then up the Mississippi River, over the Appalachian Mtns, then back down Main St? :shrug:

Just my 2 cents.

sponono88

I know it's been said countless times already.. but I still think placing California's film in EPCOT was a mistake from the beginning. it just doesn't make sense - we're flying over DL why..? A new film should have opened with the ride.

second, if they do change the film.. I hope it stays in EPCOT and doesn't get cloned into DCA's Soarin, as was previously rumored. The California film should stay in the California-themed park. that is all. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom