What would you do w/ a day off at Contemporary?

mweier

Original Poster
Heading to Contemporary in Feb for 7 nights. Mostly park days but some people in our group want to take Tuesday off as a break from parks. What would you do with your day off? Too cold for boat rides? We have o'hana ADR so can bum around over there before/after supper and maybe check Wishes from across lagoon.

I'm trying to talk myself out of updating our tix to allow for some more time in MK, but have never stayed on property before.

HollyAD

The weather may surprise you in Feb! I have been a few times in Feb and had everything from cold to 75 and pool weather. So you may be able to rent some boats and cruise around. This was one of my favorite non park day things to do when I stayed at the Contemporary. It has been years since I stayed there but I remember we also took a ride on the monorail to check out all the shops at the Grand Floridian and Poly. Hopefully you have some good weather while you are there!

Allym146

I'd have a nice slow morning with a good breakfast and take the monorail down to Poly and GF like @HollyAD mentioned or rent a pontoon boat. You could head over to the Fantasia mini golf course. There's a lot to explore!

mweier

Original Poster
Thanks for the great ideas - keep 'em comin'! Definitely appreciating any past experiences you guys have to share. (However, I'm still super tempted to just drop another $10/person to expand our park tix so we can have the luxury of some more MK time perhaps playing SotMK or Pirates! Way cheaper than paying for a sun cruiser or Surrey bike)

ToTBellHop

If I had a day off at the Contemporary, I think I'd start renovating the bathroom so it'd have more counter space, sinks that drain, and a lock on the door. If time allowed before Wishes, I'd center the TV in the room and spray the balcony for spiders. It would not provide enough time to tackle the function-less desk. No monorail goes to IKEA (yet).

jw24

I'd take advantage of the recreation activities. There's options to rent out sea raycers and such. In my view, the cooler the weather, the better. Contemporary also has tennis courts and a jogging trail, as well. Or you can resort hop and check other resorts on the monorail line. Do what interests your group the most.

mweier

Original Poster
LOL @ISTCNavigator57. I'll have to remember to bring my sawzall! Thankfully I'm not staying there for the rooms, more for the location (which is what makes a non-park day request from the fam a head-scratcher for a wdw resort newb like me :)

ToTBellHop

LOL @ISTCNavigator57. I'll have to remember to bring my sawzall! Thankfully I'm not staying there for the rooms, more for the location (which is what makes a non-park day request from the fam a head-scratcher for a wdw resort newb like me :)
The location is truly spectacular. I have to say, my family stayed in the Contemp in August for the first time and thought it was worth every dime for the view and being able to walk (!) to the MK. Wonderful with then-7-month olds. Just wish the bathroom was more functional...contemporary doesn't have to equal dysfunctional.

Joshua&CalebDad

We did this in February 2011, the Chip and Dale Campfire Sing Along at Fort Wilderness. Mid to high 70's (maybe even low 80's) during the day and as the sun set it dropped to low 60's but it was great because we had the campfire, the sing along and made smores. Can't beat that.

Tigger1999

We did a boat ride which was fun. We want to take some food on it though because we got hungry. But that was fun!! You could also just walk around the contemporary and shop...that's fun too. Or you could take the monorail over to the poly. Or grand Floridian to shop over there! :)

zurgandfriend

The location is truly spectacular. I have to say, my family stayed in the Contemp in August for the first time and thought it was worth every dime for the view and being able to walk (!) to the MK. Wonderful with then-7-month olds. Just wish the bathroom was more functional...contemporary doesn't have to equal dysfunctional.

I like the Contemporary rooms and bathrooms they're so...Contemporary, as I always say to each there own, but I digress. I would tour around the resorts of the monorail checkout the shops an the lobbies etc.

Skibum1970

I would definitely do the monorail tour. It is great to walk about and enjoy the resorts. After that, I'd hop a ride on the boats to the Wilderness Lodge (doesn't take that long). After spending 24 hours there, oh wait. Okay, I'd only spend a reasonable amount of time there but would definitely enjoy myself. After that, I'd walk (weather permitting) to Fort Wilderness and then hop a ride on a boat back to the Contemporary.

We enjoyed renting the ski-doo boats and just tooling around on Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. However, you can get wet from the wake from other boats and thus it isn't a good cold weather activity.

I love the Contemporary. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd stay there every time. As it is, I stay at Wilderness Lodge or Port Orleans and visit the Contemporary.

HatboxGhost

Heading to Contemporary in Feb for 7 nights. Mostly park days but some people in our group want to take Tuesday off as a break from parks. What would you do with your day off?
I would personally reenact the scene from the 1977 Mouseketeers at Walt Disney World right when they get off of the monorail in the Contemporary by dancing and singing......but that's just me. :D

75disney

I would personally reenact the scene from the 1977 Mouseketeers at Walt Disney World right when they get off of the monorail in the Contemporary by dancing and singing......but that's just me. :D
Loved that scene! My sister and I would play the record and act out that part. "It's show time with the Mouseketeers!" Never did it at the CR. if I did my kids would be so embarrassed, DH as well.

HatboxGhost

Loved that scene! My sister and I would play the record and act out that part. "It's show time with the Mouseketeers!" Never did it at the CR. if I did my kids would be so embarrassed, DH as well.
Its showtime...get up and go time...its showtime!!!!!
My Wife still has her original album!!
Last year when we rode the monorail, we got off at the Contemporary and tried to figure out exactly where the Mouseketeers were standing. :D

Last edited:

dgp602

We did a boat ride which was fun. We want to take some food on it though because we got hungry. But that was fun!! You could also just walk around the contemporary and shop...that's fun too. Or you could take the monorail over to the poly. Or grand Floridian to shop over there! :)

Last trip, my wife and I rented a pontoon boat at the Contemporary, and together with our four kids, we packed a lunch and drove the boat over to the entrance to the Magic Kingdom. We shut the motor down and floated around in front of the main gate soaking in the music, the smells, the sights of the Kingdom. We ate our lunch and enjoyed this experience! THAT is what separates WDW from every other major theme park!!

HatboxGhost

Last trip, my wife and I rented a pontoon boat at the Contemporary, and together with our four kids, we packed a lunch and drove the boat over to the entrance to the Magic Kingdom. We shut the motor down and floated around in front of the main gate soaking in the music, the smells, the sights of the Kingdom. We ate our lunch and enjoyed this experience! THAT is what separates WDW from every other major theme park!!
Now, that sounds like fun and sooooo relaxing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom